Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Basically just my title,

my oil was changed at 1,209, but my OLM is at 57% with only 667 miles.
What’s going on here? I did do a few hard pulls after change. Truck has not been driven much and has been in extended parking (it’s been parked for most of its life, bought in November 2019)

thanks!
Sponsored

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
Basically just my title,

What’s going on here? I did do a few hard pulls after change. Truck has not been driven much and has been in extended parking (it’s been parked for most of its life, bought in November 2019)

thanks!
Not sure, only thing that would make since is that it is based off time some how too. full synthetic oil is supposed to be changed at least once a year regardless of it being driven or not. blends and conventional are a little less.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think the OLM understands buying a truck and hardly ever driving it. ?

Deleted member 1634

Eh, to each their own. I only drive it on special occasions.
And that's fine. Do what you want with your truck. It's your money. But the point is that if you only drive a few thousand or less miles a year, then you can't expect to get the usual 10k miles between oil changes. The oil life monitor does have a mileage OR time limit. It's either 10k (or less depending on your driving style) OR 1 yr, whichever comes first. You're free to disregard the oil life warning and just go based on mileage of course, that's up to you. But I think that's what you're experiencing.

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Time is as relevant a factor as mileage, especially if they're lightly used

For instance, you may want to consider a 6-months, or X,000 miles kind of plan

I don't know how the "oil life" sensor system works, but I guess it's pretty cool. It's probably telling you to beware of old oil and consider freshening it soon.

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
And that's fine. Do what you want with your truck. It's your money. But the point is that if you only drive a few thousand or less miles a year, then you can't expect to get the usual 10k miles between oil changes. The oil life monitor does have a mileage OR time limit. It's either 10k (or less depending on your driving style) OR 1 yr, whichever comes first. You're free to disregard the oil life warning and just go based on mileage of course, that's up to you. But I think that's what you're experiencing.
i change oil every 3k miles. I have done that on my 2010 Ranger (4oh) since I bought it. I never could go 10k on a change, especially with a DI turbo engine, and one that has potential fuel contamination issues as well.

I was merely replying to your previous comment stating that it shouldn’t matter how little I drive the truck - that wasn’t the question of the post.

Thank you for explaining, though. I’d say that everyone is right and the module is just counting time. That makes a lot of sense.

Deleted member 1634

I was merely replying to your previous comment stating that it shouldn’t matter how little I drive the truck - that wasn’t the question of the post.
The first comment wasn't mine. I was just trying to defuse the argument I saw coming as is too typical on the internet. haha Either way, you are correct, your lifestyle is not part of the issue as the original commenter seemed to be implying.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Basically just my title,

thanks!
Hey, Atilla, I hardly go anywhere in my truck since the pandemic started. We work from home and just take the Ranger out a few times a week to visit nearby hiking spots. But it seems like the "oil change" clock still runs down just about as fast as before. So, yeah, I think their calculation has as much to do with time passing as miles on the road, which makes sense, as oil changes over time just like everything else....

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
I think the oil life monitor does a Time + miles. My advice, reset it, and ignore the time. Time is only due to condensations water build up, which should boil off if you run the Truck for long enough. Factory warranty may be effected, so, buy some oil and a filter, keep the receipt, and store it in the garrage1 lol. Walmart has best prices on oil, use a regular wix filter, best flow through / biggest holes for oil flow.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
All sounds quite horrific, funny, I've never had any engine damage from bad oil. I wasn't reccomending forgoing common sense, like changing oil every year for instance, just not every 6 months. Everything in balance. : )

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
If I could buy a different Ranger (and I would) I would go with no computer, no sensor, no garbage screen in the middle of the dash that doesn't keep connected to my phone for shit.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
If I could buy a different Ranger (and I would) I would go with no computer, no sensor, no garbage screen in the middle of the dash that doesn't keep connected to my phone for shit.
WOW, didn't see that coming. I don't think they built a vehicle like that in the last 20 years. (thank goodness)?

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
Plenty of used Rangers out there, with some good motors. i like the 4.0l, tons of torque!
You can go older that that, get a driver classic, up side, if you maintian it, no depreciation!
I've had old cars though, New is Nice : )
Sponsored