First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the Volt/Bolt, which I would agree was ahead of it's time and something an American manufacturer really hadn't done yet. And certainly a non-conservative vehicle. But it seems like they've since given up on hybrids, and all around pushing the boundaries as of late, which is a shame. Especially since a lot of other manufacturers are starting to dive deep into hybrids and full electrics.

Short of maybe the Escape Hybrid, Ford has definitely been behind the ball as far as hybrids and EVs go. But it at least seems like they're really pushing them hard and investing a lot into them. Our 2020 Escape Hybrid is a great vehicle as an example.

Ford's design investment has basically been 50% F-series, 25% Bronco (as of late), 20% Mustang, and then 5% everything else. Or maybe that's just marketing investment. haha So those platforms are always pushing the limits and moving forward at least. Everything else is either just hanging in there or getting the hand-me-down options from those main 3 platforms it seems. Hopefully the Mach-E is good and opens up the full EV market for them, but with how they've fumbled most platforms lately, I'm hesitant.
True, Ford is finally starting to catch up, at least at the high end. I agree, my fingers are crossed that the electric Mustang ends up as awesome as it looks (though time will tell for sure). Generally, that technology eventually moves down the food chain into vehicles the rest of us can afford, hopefully it won't take too long. One thing GM did a little differently with hybrid and electric is that they started at the mid-priced point instead of at the top end. They've dropped the Volt but still have the Bolt. I think in general, hybrids are beginning to move over for all-electric vehicles. Pickups, however, from all manufacturers except Tesla, are definitely lagging in this area, no electric or hybrid options, but it will probably change soon, especially if the Tesla truck proves popular *despite* its weird design.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
You guys are right. Sorry for the incorrect stats. 2nd place was still quite an accomplishment!

Here are the final Q2 2020 stats:

MODELQ2 2020 Sales UnitsQ2 2019 Sales Units% Change (from Q1 2019)Current % Market ShareYTD Sales Units
Tacoma51,06363,683-19.9%41%104,699
Ranger25,00820,880+ 19.8%20%45,988
Colorado19,84331,669- 37.3%15.9%41,273
Gladiator19,5687,129+ 174%15.7%34,827
Frontier8,79419,101- 54%7%19,074

Last edited:

TheFixer253

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Retired
My reaction is like Ronbo's. Year after year Consumer Reports drools over the Honda Ridgeline. But it's not even in the top five in sales? I find that surprising.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious to know why the Honda Ridgeline sales are not listed? We always see them mentioned in some of these "Best of" mid-sized truck polls, but not in sales? By most accounts, their Q2 sales appear to be even lower than the Frontier at 6300 units, down from 8300 units in Q2 2019.
Because it is not a truck. Even though some magazines insist on putting them in the comparisons.

They have car payload and towing like ratings and are crap off road. But they handle like a car on the road, so get hi ratings.

SUV is where they should be compared, but wont do good there either.

Just magazines sucking on all thing Honda.

In reality, they do nothing that a truck needs and should do.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are right. Sorry for the incorrect stats. 2nd place was still quite an accomplishment!

Here are the final Q2 2020 stats:

MODELQ2 2020 Sales UnitsQ2 2019 Sales Units% Change (from Q1 2019)Current % Market ShareYTD Sales Units
Tacoma51,06363,683-19.9%41%104,699
Ranger25,00820,880+ 19.8%20%45,988
Colorado19,84331,669- 37.3%15.9%41,273
Gladiator19,5687,129+ 174%15.7%34,827
Frontier8,79419,101- 54%7%19,074
Anyone bother to look at the Jeep Wrangler sales numbers? I'm thinking they are down like 15k. Just a guess.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Anyone bother to look at the Jeep Wrangler sales numbers? I'm thinking they are down like 15k. Just a guess.
They're down 20k, but that's actually better than most models during the pandemic. They may have benefited from the fact that driving around in the boonies was the only thing to do. :D

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
They're down 20k, but that's actually better than most models during the pandemic. They may have benefited from the fact that driving around in the boonies was the only thing to do. :D
Except around here where the USFS closed a bunch of the more interesting gravel roads because they weren't going to be doing any maintenance on them during the pandemic.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except around here where the USFS closed a bunch of the more interesting gravel roads because they weren't going to be doing any maintenance on them during the pandemic.
by "the boonies" I of course meant the far end of the empty parking lot at the mall ?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

Sorry but you are wrong. It IS a mid sized pickup truck. Marketed by Honda as a pickup truck. Tested by Car and Driver, and Motor Trend as a pickup truck. Listed in KBB and NADA as a pickup truck. Crash tested by IIHS as a pickup truck, and heck, even Wiki describes it as a pickup truck. So guess what? It’s a pick up truck.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/ridgeline-crew-cab-pickup/2020
They can call it whatever they want. It's on a unibody Crossover chassis..

That makes it not a truck.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Just as I suspected. Only taking away from wrangler sales.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Hi

Sorry but you are wrong. It IS a mid sized pickup truck. Marketed by Honda as a pickup truck. Tested by Car and Driver, and Motor Trend as a pickup truck. Listed in KBB and NADA as a pickup truck. Crash tested by IIHS as a pickup truck, and heck, even Wiki describes it as a pickup truck. So guess what? It’s a pick up truck.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/ridgeline-crew-cab-pickup/2020
I'll bet you think the Subaru Brat/Baja and the Ranchero and El Camino are trucks too. They're not. Having a bed installed on a car body doesn't make a vehicle a truck. Utes are completely different vehicles with completely different markets. I honestly couldn't give a shit what IIHS calls the Ridgeline. It's a Ute, not a truck. It has an ideal market and that is largely people that rarely use a truck for what it's intended for but still need a bed from time to time.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'll bet you think the Subaru Brat/Baja and the Ranchero and El Camino are trucks too. They're not. Having a bed installed on a car body doesn't make a vehicle a truck. Utes are completely different vehicles with completely different markets. I honestly couldn't give a shit what IIHS calls the Ridgeline. It's a Ute, not a truck. It has an ideal market and that is largely people that rarely use a truck for what it's intended for but still need a bed from time to time.
That's an awful fine distinction you make.

Your definition doesn't exactly hold much weight.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/pickup-truck

Definition 5, here
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pickup truck

These pretty reliable sources use the bed as the distinguishing feature of a pickup truck. Body/frame construction is not part of the definition. Nor is towing/hauling capacity. Yes, the Ridgeline is lighter duty than the Ranger. Yes, it's more focused on suburban users with more occasional towing/hauling needs than the Ranger. The Ridgeline's towing/hauling capacity is still in line with other older, small pickup trucks. The Subaru Baja/Brat, Ranchero, and El Camino are lighter duty still. But so what? They still have open beds. Therefore, still trucks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These pretty reliable sources use the bed as the distinguishing feature of a pickup truck. Body/frame construction is not part of the definition. Nor is towing/hauling capacity. Yes, the Ridgeline is lighter duty than the Ranger. Yes, it's more focused on suburban users with more occasional towing/hauling needs than the Ranger. The Ridgeline's towing/hauling capacity is still in line with other older, small pickup trucks. The Subaru Baja/Brat, Ranchero, and El Camino are lighter duty still. But so what? They still have open beds. Therefore, still trucks.
The ridgeline has more payload & towing capacity than a 2011 ranger, so I guess that makes the old ranger also not a truck.

The arguments against the ridgeline are largely fashion choices, but the people who can't stop complaining about it would never admit that they're doing the truck bro equivalent of making fun of someone wearing the wrong shoes to a social event.
Sponsored