Would I be okay towing this RV?

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL SuperCrew 4x4
Let's start off by saying I am new to towing and new to the ranger since I just got my 2020 XL CrewCab 4x4.

My Dad and Father in law think I'd be okay towing this however they don't have rangers and I wanted opinions from on here who have experience with the ranger.

I am never going anywhere without full hookups and I expect around maybe 500 lbs of cargo and stuff in the trailer.

Here are the specs and a link below.

Dry weight: 5638
GVWR: 7600
Hitch Weight: 639
Length: 33' 3"
Dual Axel's.

2020-Coachmen-Freedom-Expressspecial-Edition-29SE

Thank you guys
Sponsored

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I would not. I have a 7500lb 20' enclosed trailer and while the weight is fine, it's right at the very edge of comfort as the 20ft is a lot for the wind to gather. A 33' trailer is a massive wind sail and going to wag the 'F out of the dog.

Also keep in mind the Ranger has a relatively narrow track, while the trailer has a wide track and therefore the two will be riding along different grooves in the road during towing so you'll already be battling that but to add a 33' wind sail to the equation.... I would not.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
Have to agree, 33' is territory for a larger class of towing rig.

I believe you'll also be over the frontal area consideration with that large of a trailer. However, your link doesn't give enough info.

Betting towing that thing will induce quite a few "events" and require a change of shorts upon arrival.

Towing considerations from Ford

Silver Surfer

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to think about is the max tongue weight of the Ranger. It's 750lbs and if you use a weight distribution hitch with it, those can weigh around 100lbs. With that dry hitch weight you'd be at max without loading a thing into the trailer.

I tow a 23' x 8' 6000lb loaded trailer right at the max tongue weight and I've been happy with it so far up and down 6% grades at 5000' on 100 degree days.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
I tow a 23' x 8' 6000lb loaded trailer right at the max tongue weight and I've been happy with it so far up and down 6% grades at 5000' on 100 degree days.
Have you had any emergency braking situations to deal with so far? We haven't towed anywhere near that size/weight (and haven't had any problems whoatsoever), but i'm curious to hear how the brakes were so close to max weight.

Slightly off topic, and not on Silver Surfer's topic at all, but larger wheels and tires can dramatically add a lot of unsprung weight which in effect is increasing the vehicle weight, or could be considered "hauling weight" in the bed of the truck. I've seem more than a few F-150's max out their weight capacity and with some big ass donks or offroad mudders for wheels/tires, barely able to handle the load under breaking.

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another thing to think about is the max tongue weight of the Ranger. It's 750lbs and if you use a weight distribution hitch with it, those can weigh around 100lbs. With that dry hitch weight you'd be at max without loading a thing into the trailer.

Do you mind sharing what trailer you have?

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not. I have a 7500lb 20' enclosed trailer and while the weight is fine, it's right at the very edge of comfort as the 20ft is a lot for the wind to gather. A 33' trailer is a massive wind sail and going to wag the 'F out of the dog.

Also keep in mind the Ranger has a relatively narrow track, while the trailer has a wide track and therefore the two will be riding along different grooves in the road during towing so you'll already be battling that but to add a 33' wind sail to the equation.... I would not.
What's the max length you would consider for a TT?

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have to agree, 33' is territory for a larger class of towing rig.

I believe you'll also be over the frontal area consideration with that large of a trailer. However, your link doesn't give enough info.

Betting towing that thing will induce quite a few "events" and require a change of shorts upon arrival.

Towing considerations from Ford
What about a length of like 28'-30'?

Silver Surfer

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had any emergency braking situations to deal with so far? We haven't towed anywhere near that size/weight (and haven't had any problems whoatsoever), but i'm curious to hear how the brakes were so close to max weight.
Funny you ask that, just yesterday I had my first. Had to brake quickly going downhill at 55mph on a turn off around a bend that came up sooner than anticipated and I was pleasantly surprised by the strong braking it had. I didn't fully stomp on them but was close. I feel confident now knowing what to expect with the trailer behind.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I always find it funny when someone says too not tow anything that big with a small truck. If anything the big key thing to remember is to not exceed you towing capacity. That does include your tongue weight as well. For the Ranger it has best in class towing for what it is and I find that to be AWESOME. Yes the gross weight of that trailer is mire but that is fully loaded and you might want to figure out how much water capacity it has and add that to the weight. If itnhas you very close to 7500 I would recommend not getting that particular camper and find something lighter. Also before you tow a camper I would also sugest a trailer brake controller. The Redarc contriller that Ford is offering is a very nice one or perhaps use the one by Curt if others here that have used it like it. That is my input on this and I hope it helps you out.

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always find it funny when someone says too not tow anything that big with a small truck. If anything the big key thing to remember is to not exceed you towing capacity. That does include your tongue weight as well. For the Ranger it has best in class towing for what it is and I find that to be AWESOME. Yes the gross weight of that trailer is mire but that is fully loaded and you might want to figure out how much water capacity it has and add that to the weight. If itnhas you very close to 7500 I would recommend not getting that particular camper and find something lighter. Also before you tow a camper I would also sugest a trailer brake controller. The Redarc contriller that Ford is offering is a very nice one or perhaps use the one by Curt if others here that have used it like it. That is my input on this and I hope it helps you out.
Well we are never going to fill it up with water and travel with it. It will be empty when moving as far as the liquids go.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well we are never going to fill it up with water and travel with it. It will be empty when moving as far as the liquids go.
Do not go to Mexico....It is imperative if you do you carry a full fresh water tank...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I took my dad with me who tows heavy ass trailers all the time and he seemed to think I'd be fine. We want ahead and are going to get this RV.

We hooked it up to the truck without a WD hitch and the truck sat level. I am still concerned about the length a little bit but we shall see..

I'm going to get a Curt WD hitch and Sway bars.

Anyone really think I'll have trouble?

Coachmen Freedom Express Select Edition 29SE

The specs are as follows.

Hitch Weight:
639 lb.
GVWR:
TBD
UVW
5638 lb.
CCC
1962 lb.
Exterior Length:
33' 5"
Exterior Height:
10' 9"
Exterior Width:
96"

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I took my dad with me who tows heavy ass trailers all the time and he seemed to think I'd be fine. We want ahead and are going to get this RV.

We hooked it up to the truck without a WD hitch and the truck sat level. I am still concerned about the length a little bit but we shall see..

I'm going to get a Curt WD hitch and Sway bars.

Anyone really think I'll have trouble?

Coachmen Freedom Express Select Edition 29SE

The specs are as follows.

Hitch Weight:
639 lb.
GVWR:
TBD
UVW
5638 lb.
CCC
1962 lb.
Exterior Length:
33' 5"
Exterior Height:
10' 9"
Exterior Width:
96"
Hi SF,

If you really want to play it safe, load your truck and the RV for your first trip and take it to your friendly truck stop scale. Weigh the assembly of Truck and RV. The Truck and then just the RV. If you find you have exceeded the GCW etc (Owner's Manual). You can unload items until you are with in limits. Then you are making decisions with real data...not guessing and hoping.

Good luck with your adventure!

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored