daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I went ahead and ordered a wiring diagram manual.... (Admin, you can delete my post).

Thank You

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you’re adding paddle shifters how about a follow up ?

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If you’re adding paddle shifters how about a follow up ?
That's the plan, It looks like the ranger wheel has the mounts for the paddle switches. So hopefully it's straight forward. The F150 crowd run the UP/DOWN/SIG wires to the SCCM connector. I bought a Explorer wheel for the switches, and harness. The airbag is slightly different, and it lools like the wheel could be a complete swap (with airbag), buttons/wiring looks to be the same. I don't want to change the look if you know what I mean, so would rather mount the switches and cut the back plastic of the wheel for the buttons.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
It's looking pretty promising...
The ranger has the UP/DN/SNS GND wiring at a connector at the center console.
1673657183910.png

And it there is unused pins at the clockspring (steering wheel). Just need to be sure they go through. The shifters need just 3 wires, UP, DOWN and SIGRTN (SNS GND)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well the easiest way to simply test if its possible is just buy two momentary switches and wire them up as test paddle shifters. Don't worry about the steering wheel unless confirmed the buttons work.

That is the hard part. Something works then integrating it so it looks decent and not bubba'd up.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Well the easiest way to simply test if its possible is just buy two momentary switches and wire them up as test paddle shifters. Don't worry about the steering wheel unless confirmed the buttons work.

That is the hard part. Something works then integrating it so it looks decent and not bubba'd up.
Good point. You already have the +/- buttons on the side of the shifter. It looks like that is where it wires to.

In the Explorer the paddles go to the same up/down/sigtrn in the Powertrain control module and we have them going to the +/- buttons in the Ranger.
1673663750758.png

1673663823115.png

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I'll give you even more juice for the squeeze. If it works you don't even need to integrate the steering wheel clockspring at all.

Just fabricate a paddle system that connects to the column behind the wheel and simply run the wires normal.
Yeah I know that is how some of the supercars are, but I have a factory Explorer wheel and I wanted it to keep with a OEM look.

The clock spring appears to have 4 'not used' connections. Hopefully that is true (I just need 3 of them).

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Sub'd.... I've been wanting to do this since day 1.

I hope it works....

Paddle shifters should have been a factory option.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
This connector is located at the back of the shifter. It's just under the front of the cup holder. I haven't found a good way to access it. You can see it when you remove the top trim shifter piece. (Anyone know if the cup holder is removable?)
s-l1600 (3).jpg

It looks like this
s-l1600.jpg

Which contains what we need:
Connector C3531
Pin 4 SNS GND
Pin 5 SHIFT UP (SST)
Pin 6 SHIFT DOWN (SST)
C3531.JPG

Also interesting note you can see the yellow black wiring in this example which is what goes to the PRDS illumination LED (Pics are from a 2019 model)

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I haven't found a good way to access it. You can see it when you remove the top trim shifter piece. (Anyone know if the cup holder is removable?
Do you need to route wires out of the console, vs inside the trim / framework leading up to the steering console?
Or, are you asking just for prototyping reasons?
If bringing them out for prototyping, i've run cables from the center console down and out from underneath the wide and tall vertical plastic trim on each side of the center console; this is the plastic that ends at the carpet. It's flexible enough to allow small cables through. Perhaps that could also work for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Do you need to route wires out of the console, vs inside the trim / framework leading up to the steering console?
Or, are you asking just for prototyping reasons?
If bringing them out for prototyping, i've run cables from the center console down and out from underneath the wide and tall vertical plastic trim on each side of the center console; this is the plastic that ends at the carpet. It's flexible enough to allow small cables through. Perhaps that could also work for you?
I believe they will run right out the front of the console, if I could get to this connector (without removing the entire center console). Like I said you can see the connector, but cup holders sit over the top of it.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
if I could get to this connector (without removing the entire center console).
Hmmm, i don't follow...? Are you trying to disconnect/reconnect several times without removing the trim?
If so, why? Why not run a cable from the connector out anywhere, and then connect/reconnect to that as needed?

Or, what's the background for what you're looking to do?

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Hmmm, i don't follow...? Are you trying to disconnect/reconnect several times without removing the trim?
If so, why? Why not run a cable from the connector out anywhere, and then connect/reconnect to that as needed?

Or, what's the background for what you're looking to do?
Yes I should have grabbed a picture. That connect is where I need to tap for the paddles. But that connect can be seen, but cannot access it. The cup holders literally sit ontop of it. So it looks like the console may have to be moved to access it. Argh
Sponsored