Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Banned site (SPAM).com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Quality Assurance Manager / Owner of A3C
2016-2019 Explorer steering wheel with paddles (They don't all have them, as it was an option). The Steering wheel is REAL close to the Ranger wheel, but the airbag is indeed different. Which makes it not a direct swap. However my 2020 Ranger does indeed have the drilled and taped holes for the paddles. My plan is to just move them over and get real good with my dremel to cut the plastic in the back of the wheel.

1689694497656.png

1689694504656.png

Paddles on the back of the steering wheel / seen here:

1689694513487.png

1689694486307.png
Nice!
Did you figure out if you can run the wires through the clock plug? I would like the method of cutting the holes, tapping into that plug and running wires directly to the shifter.

I wonder if you can purchase just the paddles? presumably yes through Fmco...$$$$
Sponsored

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Nice!
Did you figure out if you can run the wires through the clock plug? I would like the method of cutting the holes, tapping into that plug and running wires directly to the shifter.

I wonder if you can purchase just the paddles? presumably yes through Fmco...$$$$
Yeah probably cheaper just to get a used wheel.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Just ordered a 2016-2019 wheel w/PS off of ebay. Guess I will dive in! lol
Not bad for $160
Excellent!!! The more people we can get working on this we will figure this out. It will encourage me to get it done as well. I had my center console out to put the LED light in the shifter, but I wouldn't even reach the connector as it's under the shifter. IE: No fun to be had there.

As I said plan B would be to wirelessly shift with the items I posted early. It would be nice to use the clock wires, but I'm not sure that's do able without replacing it. IE: I have my doubts that the extra wires are present.

ST_Ranger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
If there is not extra wiring capability, i wonder if you could repurpose other wires for buttons that are pretty much unused OR a relay to toggle between paddles and one of the OE switches...if that makes sense.

ST_Ranger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
So you successfully installed the paddles from the Explorer into the Ranger. Said it bolts up? Or you got the Explorer steering wheel to bolt on and work?

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
So you successfully installed the paddles from the Explorer into the Ranger. Said it bolts up? Or you got the Explorer steering wheel to bolt on and work?
I have the Explorer wheel sitting in my office. I checked the pinouts on the CLOCK SPRING. They are totally different, which I think I posted the wiring diagram for both here. There are spare pins on the connector but not sure they go through to the other side (need to check at the CLOCK SPRING). For those that don't know the clock spring is the device that passes all those steering wheel buttons from the steering wheel to the column side. It looks something like this:

1689710857112.png

Steering wheel connector on one end and it is wound like a spring with one side stationary and the other side that rotates with the wheel.

The shifter buttons, or levers on a Explorer wheel bolt to the Ranger wheel, As I said I haven't done it but it appears that it's all there.

The wiring that operates the shift UP/DN is also present at the shifter connector of the Ranger. Again see the wiring diagram that I believe I posted.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
If there is not extra wiring capability, i wonder if you could repurpose other wires for buttons that are pretty much unused OR a relay to toggle between paddles and one of the OE switches...if that makes sense.
This would be the better route (IMO).

1689711242991.png

tap +12 and ground at the steering wheel. Wire K1 and K2 to UP/DN buttons.

Then at the shifter:

1689711303740.png

$16 @ the Jungle Store

As shown in the above pic... you will need 2 relays. I plan on using a pair of reed relays at the shifter. Running off of switched power at shifter.

ST_Ranger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
I ended up just swapping the buttons and wiring out of the Ranger into the ES wheel. Left long pigtails from the paddles to wire in the future. I ran out of time, but I am going to check continuity through the 5 spare pins on the plug. only need two I believe.

ST_Ranger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Thoughts.

Left Paddle
Pink (Gnd)
Brown (pwr)
Blue (shift down wire)
- connect to GN-VT wire at the trans select.

Right Paddle
Pink (Gnd)
brown (Pwr)
Green (shift up wire)
- connect to the GY wire at the trans select.

WH-BN
Common switch gnd to trans select

ST_Ranger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Update for everyone, I successfully installed paddle shifters on my ranger, using the info you guys posted and an explorer steering wheel, this can be done with the ranger steering wheel as well, you'll have to cut holes on the rear steering wheel cover and run the wires from the clock spring all the way down to the shifter assembly, I'm working on a guide on how to do it, I just finished my project today.
20230424_193638.jpg
Any update on the wiring (how to) ?
I have the wheel swapped and ready to wire! lol

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
I don't think it is wise to do the 433mhz thing on something so critical as the shifter.
Just my opinion.
Sponsored