First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
Perchased a set of OEM style TPMS and mounted them to my new wheel/tire set at Discount Tire. Mounted them at home and the sensors was recognized by the Ranger automatically. After the first rotation, nothing was done and it knew the tires had moved. There's nothing to set.
that's promising, i hate the idea of being tethered to a garage for tire changes outside of mounting new tires and balancing.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
that's promising, i hate the idea of being tethered to a garage for tire changes outside of mounting new tires and balancing.
You'll need to drive for a few miles before the sensors connect...

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Perchased a set of OEM style TPMS and mounted them to my new wheel/tire set at Discount Tire. Mounted them at home and the sensors was recognized by the Ranger automatically. After the first rotation, nothing was done and it knew the tires had moved. There's nothing to set.
So you have a completely new set of TPMS sensors in your winter wheels and it just picked them up? Thats good to know for sure. Guess it should switch back to your original set then when you swap.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you didn’t have to reprogram anything when rotating tires, it picked up where they were switched to on it’s own?
Yes...I don't recall doing anything after having them installed...I brought the tires home and mounted them onto the truck myself...nothing else...

franciscoapg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Figured it might be helpful to mention this in case anyone else has this issue. I got a new set of wheels and tires shipped to me with new TPMS' installed. I made some necessary adjustments for clearance and bolted them on the truck.

The TPMS sensors didn't connect to the truck even after driving well over 100 miles. I bought the Ford TPMS 19 training tool (mine happened to be: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZKJ4TS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The instructions it came with said to put the key in the ignition, but since I have a push-button Lariat, I figured those instructions didn't apply. I used the hazard lights reset method @rangerdanger mentioned. I easily managed to get the "Train Front Left Tire" prompt on the dash by pushing the ignition button to accessory and turning the hazard lights on and off three times. Then I would try to connect each of my TPMS sensors, but you're supposed to hear a honk for each wheel connected, and try as I might, every time I used that method, I would get the truck into "Train" mode, go to the front driver wheel, touch the TPMS train tool to the valve stem and press the button, but I wouldn't get a honk and the training session would eventually fail.

I read through related threads on a bunch of Ford forums for other models, and found an F150 forum that says the hazard light method can reset existing sensors already trained to the truck, but if you want to train new sensors, the following method is required:

1. With the ignition "Off" push and release the brake pedal,
2. Then turn the ignition to "Run" then to "Off" 3 times ending with "Run"
3. Push and release the brake pedal
4. Turn the ignition "Off" then to "Run" 3 more times ending in "Run"
5. The horn will honk and a message displays on the dash to "train left front tire"

I figured that since the hazard method also got the dash to show "train left front tire", the issue was with the TPMS sensors, but turns out even if you get that message, you may not be in the appropriate "Train" mode for new sensors, and you may instead be in learn mode for existing TPMS sensors.

pozi240

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco WildTrak (on order), 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Military (Ret'd)
Figured it might be helpful to mention this in case anyone else has this issue. I got a new set of wheels and tires shipped to me with new TPMS' installed. I made some necessary adjustments for clearance and bolted them on the truck.

The TPMS sensors didn't connect to the truck even after driving well over 100 miles. I bought the Ford TPMS 19 training tool (mine happened to be: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZKJ4TS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The instructions it came with said to put the key in the ignition, but since I have a push-button Lariat, I figured those instructions didn't apply. I used the hazard lights reset method @rangerdanger mentioned. I easily managed to get the "Train Front Left Tire" prompt on the dash by pushing the ignition button to accessory and turning the hazard lights on and off three times. Then I would try to connect each of my TPMS sensors, but you're supposed to hear a honk for each wheel connected, and try as I might, every time I used that method, I would get the truck into "Train" mode, go to the front driver wheel, touch the TPMS train tool to the valve stem and press the button, but I wouldn't get a honk and the training session would eventually fail.

I read through related threads on a bunch of Ford forums for other models, and found an F150 forum that says the hazard light method can reset existing sensors already trained to the truck, but if you want to train new sensors, the following method is required:

1. With the ignition "Off" push and release the brake pedal,
2. Then turn the ignition to "Run" then to "Off" 3 times ending with "Run"
3. Push and release the brake pedal
4. Turn the ignition "Off" then to "Run" 3 more times ending in "Run"
5. The horn will honk and a message displays on the dash to "train left front tire"

I figured that since the hazard method also got the dash to show "train left front tire", the issue was with the TPMS sensors, but turns out even if you get that message, you may not be in the appropriate "Train" mode for new sensors, and you may instead be in learn mode for existing TPMS sensors.
That was the method on the older TPMS Ford used years ago. Most modern Ford's have been "auto training" since at least 2015. All of my car's (4 different Ford's in my garage right now) have picked up new wheels sensors every time. No issues, and no tools or devices needed. I typically have to drive the car about 30kms or so and then the new sensors get picked up. I do remember my old 2012 Escape had to use the ignition/
hazard light trick to train the sensors, but those were the old "band style", not the newer 315mghz valve stem style that Ford uses now.
Cheers,

Reactions: EJH

franciscoapg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I wish it had been that easy for me! Mine did not pick up automatically through the 100+ miles I drove, but I've read mixed feedback (with many reporting, as you mentioned, that they didn't have to do a thing besides drive their truck). After replacing the old wheels with the new set that came with new TPMS sensors, I drove for maybe 20/30 miles or so and at that point, the truck stopped reporting the tire pressures from my previous set of wheels, but at that point it just showed blanks where the tire pressure figures should be.

Who knows, it certainly could have been that the new TPMS sensors that came on this new wheel/tire set were non-OEM (though I ordered OEM), or had something else going on and maybe that's why they didn't automatically register. All I can say is that I'm glad they finally interact with the truck!

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
If you use OEM Ford TPMS, the vehicle should learn the original wheels + one other set of wheels equipped with OEM Ford TPMS on its own. This has been my experience on Ford vehicles since about 2015. For example, my Mustang would remember two sets. All the other Mustangs I worked with/on remembered two sets. The programming tool y'all are talking about is universal to the 315 mhz transmitted design Ford uses. You'll need it for most aftermarket TPMS sensors. There is no point in buying aftermarket TPMS sensors -- they are always the same price as OEM (bought online). Ford will be using the same control module for TPMS in all its vehicles... no reason for variation.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 Ranger has 6 off-road tires/rims with Ford TPMS. I carry one s a spare in the box, and the truck figures out which qre installed and doesn't confuse the spare in the mix.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
This great information - thanks all!
I am about to pick up a set of Magnetic take offs to swap with my Machined wheels. I will report back on how things go!

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
This great information - thanks all!
I am about to pick up a set of Magnetic take offs to swap with my Machined wheels. I will report back on how things go!
FYI Ranger OEM sensors are Motorcraft TPMS-42. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ2Y1DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased a set of "take off" Ranger rims, and had the new TPMS-42 sensors installed along with snow tires. I'm able to swap tire / rims each season without any TPMS re-training required. Just need to drive for 5 or 10 minutes after tire swap over and all is good!

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
OK I bought a set of Magnetic take offs.
Put the on my truck and went for a drive - TPMS recognized immediately. Only thing I did was put the wheel and tires on my truck.
Lucky I guess

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
One can always use a "pre computer tire pressure monitoring system"....

71ZIqZX-aBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Sponsored