Will you be upgrading to a 6G? Why or why not?

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
No, as others say the styling is awful. Can't be bothered with the admin involved. If I do get another truck I'd probably go Colorado. Plus this one works fine so far (18k miles touch wood) and sometimes it's best to stick to what you know.
Sponsored

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
Nope. Even if I were in the market, I would only consider one if it had a SuperCab option.

OneMore

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Rather unlikely I will buy the 6G.
The 5G was rather dated by the time the U.S. market received it.
But maybe that is ok.
I like having a steel front bumper, manual hand operated parking brake and simple dash. For myself, the styling of the 5 is more appealing.
If the 6G is available as a CC and 6 foot bed I might have a look and test drive.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
My wife likes the 6g Raptor and she has agreed we will keep the 5g, I can switch out between both for commuting to work and give the wife the Raptor in severe winter weather while I take the 5g. Having just a standard part time 4wd setup has left me tickled pink for the year and a half I've owned the 5g.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I will say that i like the look of the 6G Ranger, but im not sure if i will go to it.... I'm curious on the price, and what if Ford can't get thier stuff out too us lile other vehicles? Ford is most likely the biggest manufacturer right now having problems getting vehicles out, and yet they are trying to release so many vehicles at one time that it makes no sense at all.....

As much as i hate to say it, if i buy a new truck I might go to the New Frontier..... And that has an ugly front end.....

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I will start shopping for one once my 21 hits 95000 miles so in about 4 years. Always try to trade before 100k for higher trade value. Plus I just don't trust a vehicle after 100k when traveling. (I know I'll get roasted for that one)

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
nope. Ford is the reason why. It seems like they have really done a lot dumb things the past few years to customers. for example the folks that pre ordered a bronco and then got hosed. but some how plenty of broncos are around all the lots at crazy prices. the 10r80 10r 60 and other auto transmissions - no explanation needed. the cut backs on parts despite price going up. fords ev fetish lol. Ford dealers and service. i might look at them when its time for the mid refresh, if we are still allowed ice cars and trucks.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

As my 5G 2019 Ranger has only a few thousand miles on it, it would be a waste of time and it is already really too big for our garage with the Nautilus. So I will hang onto my 5G.

best,
Phil

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
just looked at someones new wildtrack 6g. not a fan. the inside is kinda silly and looks like a video game. hate the electric dash. i hated the electric dash in the mustangs as well. too much tech for no real reason. touch screen everything. ford escape steering wheel and dash lol. the 5g feels like a nice truck inside, (truck). the six g looks like an auto show car, a concept never intended to go to production. (car)

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
I would probably upgrade if they offered the 2.7 engine. I've had both the 2.7 and the 3.5 twin turbos in my F-150s....and BOTH got better mileage that the 2.3 in my Ranger!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It appears to be slightly bigger and that is a hard NO because the current 5G is a bit bigger than I would like.

I was just thinking today about changing the name of my truck on my Ford app because it is no longer a DID (Disposable Income Detector).

I can't remember the last thing I bought for it which means it must be about where I want it. I really can't think of anything else I want to add.

100% satisfied with my current 5G right now, but planning to take a look at new Colorado and possible Tacoma if they release a PHEV variant.

A 6G PHEV would pique my interest but once again a hard NO if the dimensions are bigger.

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
I bought my 5G specifically because it was smaller than my F-150. Funny thing is, on the outside it is only slightly smaller. But on the inside -- whew! No storage to speak of, and if you have passengers in the cramped rear seat you have to bring your driver's seat forward to the point of being cramped as well. Going from a F-150 5.5 bed to a Ranger 5.0 bed sounds great on paper, but in usage the F-150 bed seems to hold twice as much. I'd like to see the 6G make better use and more room inside the cabin but retain exterior dimensions.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
I'm curious what my fellow 5G members think about upgrading to the 6G. I listed my theoretical pros / cons below.

Pro:
- Possible next generation 2.3 ecoboost with direct and port injection
- Modernized interior with wireless carplay / android auto
- Possible 2.7 ecoboost availability
- Better HVAC control layout
- Bed side step
- Improved gauge cluster (Those of you with Lariats will appreciate this.)
- Most likely will offer integrated factory brake controller

Cons:
- Styling is questionable. Certainly not as recognizable as 5G
- More tech... more problems right?
- Gear shifter is 100% electronic... no mechanical linkage

I plan on upgrading mainly for the improved interior. Let me know what you think!
No unless they get a PHEV only.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I typically keep vehicles 7 to 10 years before moving on. I like my Ranger and have no plans to trade it for a 6G. In 7 to 10 years who knows what will be available.

FWIW, I had three Dodge Dakotas over the past 30 years which I put almost 600,000 miles on combined. When it was time to move on from the last one they were no longer available or I would have bought another one. I liked the Ranger the best of what is currently available and that is what I bought.
Sponsored