Why won't service deparments at 2 dealerships program my genuine Ranger keyless keypad?

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean program it? Are you referring to changing the numbers to open the door? You can change those your self.
Can you send me instructions on how to do this? I have wanted to since day one ☝.
Sponsored

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
First thing that come to mind for me, and I could be totally off, because I am not quite sure how it would work, is that Ford dealers are not to install keypads not attached to vehicles for liability reasons.
Someone comes in with a keypad and truck they want programmed, and later does something to get access they shouldn’t have? Like I said IDK ??‍♂. Makes me wonder why they don’t provide proof of ownership to the vehicle for keypads or even regular keys?
But, some of us have had dealerships reprogram unattached keypads with no problem. They program the keys to a specific vehicle, so it can't be used with any other vehicle anyway.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Can you send me instructions on how to do this? I have wanted to since day one ☝.
The changing of the vehicle code should be in your owners manual. What the others are referring to is programing the vehicle to respond to the touch pad..

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
But, some of us have had dealerships reprogram unattached keypads with no problem. They program the keys to a specific vehicle, so it can't be used with any other vehicle anyway.
Like I said, not sure the why or how. Just that it ALMOST sounded like a liability issue. I am sure there are plenty of dealerships (ford and others) that go against manufacturers instructions. Sometime for the better and sometimes for the worst.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
The changing of the vehicle code should be in your owners manual. What the others are referring to is programing the vehicle to respond to the touch pad..
I’m aware thanks. The “keypad” isn’t even mentioned in my manual. I’m assuming because it’s considered an accessory?

Catmech2

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4/4
Occupation
Retired mechanic
And if they don't get it to work after it's already on, it will be pried off and they'll say I have a faulty unit. That's why I rather see it work before sticking on my truck.
And if they don't get it to work after it's already on, it will be pried off and they'll say I have a faulty unit. That's why I rather see it work before sticking on my truck.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
This is brilliant!
That won't work for me. I have hard enough time with that gas door. I have RA that affects my hands and wrists. If the keypad was expected to be used just in an emergency (if I lost key and phone, etc.) it would be ok for me, but I use the keypad on my Mountaineer daily and expect to also once I have one on the Ranger.

Jthompson258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I'm bringing this over to a new thread as it probably got lost in my other thread.

Two dealerships' managers will not allow my program my genuine keyless keypads unless they are installed on the vehicle. I only got to talk to the clerk at the first place where I usually take my Ranger, but she put me on hold and checked with the manager. Came back on and said, Nope won't program it unless it's on the vehicle.

Called another Ford dealer service department, same thing... clerk says no they cannot program it unless stuck on vehicle. I explain to this one too that there is no wiring, it's battery operated, just needs to be programmed to my truck... I don't see the problem as long as truck is present, the 2 key fobs and that it is a genuine Ford Ranger w/auto start keyless keypad! I mean, I don't expect them to do it for free!

So an update... the first dealership's manager just called me back. Said it's right in the Ford instructions that the keypad has to be installed on the truck during programing, something about the radio wave length only travels so far. I said, so just lay it against the windshield while you're programming it! Nope, has to be stuck on the vehicle. I told him this is ridiculous!
Two sideded 3M tape. And fixed

Jthompson258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Sorry for the echo on 3M responded before i read the entire thread
Sponsored