Why Does the Tacoma Dominate the Off-Road Pickup Segment?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I guess you didn't have the frame problems, the ball joint problem, the transmission 125k problem, etc.? I mean, there are plenty of rangers that have made it well past 150k, but so many toyota fanboys act like it's only possible in a toyota (and that any problems with a toyota don't count). I don't expect to change any minds, I just think it's weird.
Toyota has a great reputation for building very sturdy and reliable trucks that last a very long time. I've owned three, and had three more provided to me for work. We don't get the best of them in North America. I've had two Land Cruisers and a HiLux with solid front axles that were just fantastic trucks. Of the IFS trucks, the 2010 Tacoma was the best (over a 2005 Tundra and a 1990 Pickup) but still not in the same league as their global-market trucks. The Tacoma is coasting on Toyota's strong history. I'd take the global HiLux over it any day, and I suspect that many rabid Tacoma fans would do the same if they had the option.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Toyota has a great reputation for building very sturdy and reliable trucks that last a very long time. I've owned three, and had three more provided to me for work. We don't get the best of them in North America. I've had two Land Cruisers and a HiLux with solid front axles that were just fantastic trucks. Of the IFS trucks, the 2010 Tacoma was the best (over a 2005 Tundra and a 1990 Pickup) but still not in the same league as their global-market trucks. The Tacoma is coasting on Toyota's strong history. I'd take the global HiLux over it any day, and I suspect that many rabid Tacoma fans would do the same if they had the option.
Never owned a Tacoma, but I can say that I have straight beat (as in jumped so high I split both front rotors in half) several Ford Rangers (90's-2000's) and all of them made it past 160K where I eventually sold them to kids for cheap (as "used" goods) who are probably still doing that with them today. All of this in Michigan where everything rusts in half eventually.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Donā€™t know of many tacos today that could stand with my last Ranger driving in New England weather and salt! Had a 97 that hit 287K after 23 years. Everyone I worked with that had tacos had to ether trade them in from a buyout and got new for rusted frames or turned them over to the dealer for 3 to 4 months to get a new frame put on them. Ya, I still get a chuckle from that no matter how much they profess that itā€™s a ā€˜solidā€™ truck!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I've been looking at small pickups for off-roading and I see that other than the new Jeep Gladiator all of the other ones are Toyota Tacomas. I'm wondering if there is a particular reason for this? It appears that the Ford Ranger and Chevrolet Colorado are almost identical to the Toyota Tacoma, why not use these instead? AEV even has an excellent build for the Chevrolet Colorado:
https://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/zr2-bison/.
I'm sure there are also some nice builds similar to this for the Ranger?
Toyota has a good record for reliability and longevity. However, after owning an import truck, several import cars, and being a former 4th gen. Ranger owner, my personal experience in comparison with the 5th gen. Ranger is that it is hard to beat. A very high priority for me is quality and skillful engineering. Reviews can be subjective but I totally agree with this one from my current personal experience with the 2020 Ranger:
JD Power and Associates rated the 2020 Ranger #2 out of 10 Trucks: 2020 Ford Ranger ā€“ J.D. Power Award Winner in Initial Quality! (This rating should probably be applicable to the 2019's thru the 2021's since they are branded alike). 1st place went to: 1. 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty ā€“ Highest Pickup Truck in Quality According to Consumers!
Top-Rated 2020 Trucks in Quality According to Consumers | J.D. Power

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota has a good record for reliability and longevity. However, after owning an import truck, several import cars, and being a former 4th gen. Ranger owner, my personal experience in comparison with the 5th gen. Ranger is that it is hard to beat. A very high priority for me is quality and skillful engineering. Reviews can be subjective but I totally agree with this one from my current personal experience with the 2020 Ranger:
JD Power and Associates rated the 2020 Ranger #2 out of 10 Trucks: 2020 Ford Ranger ā€“ J.D. Power Award Winner in Initial Quality! (This rating should probably be applicable to the 2019's thru the 2021's since they are branded alike). 1st place went to: 1. 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty ā€“ Highest Pickup Truck in Quality According to Consumers!
Top-Rated 2020 Trucks in Quality According to Consumers | J.D. Power
I jumped brands from Toyota to Ford and so obviously I am willing to give the Ford Ranger a try . PS this is my first Ford ever and I am 56 ....... So I hope the JD Power reports will prove down the road to be accurate.....lets meet back here when I have 135K trouble free miles hopefully.........good luck everyone- loving mine so far .....

MrAnalog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I started to say that they were the first small 4x4 pickup, but then I remembered that there was an oddball (and ill-fated) Chevy Luv 4x4 that hit the market first. But, Toyota was there making and improving small 4x4 pickups for the American market from the very beginning. They really earned their following. I'm an unapologetic Ford guy, so they never really appealed to me, but you've got to give Toyota credit for how they've promoted and improved these vehicles over the years.
No way! How about the Jeep Comanche 1984+? Unless you mean the Hilux.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I started to say that they were the first small 4x4 pickup, but then I remembered that there was an oddball (and ill-fated) Chevy Luv 4x4 that hit the market first. But, Toyota was there making and improving small 4x4 pickups for the American market from the very beginning. They really earned their following. I'm an unapologetic Ford guy, so they never really appealed to me, but you've got to give Toyota credit for how they've promoted and improved these vehicles over the years.
Ford Courier-1972 (Mazda)

Chevy Luv-1972 (Isuzu)

Toyota Stout-1964

Toyota made the small truck market in the US. By now they've been passed by.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I jumped brands from Toyota to Ford and so obviously I am willing to give the Ford Ranger a try . PS this is my first Ford ever and I am 56 ....... So I hope the JD Power reports will prove down the road to be accurate.....lets meet back here when I have 135K trouble free miles hopefully.........good luck everyone- loving mine so far .....
Good input John!

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I think reliability is the main reason, which created the fanboi clubs. I love my ranger, but im skeptical this ecoboost will outlast the tacos v6. But good news is, i dont see many ppl now a days owning a truck let alone a car for more than 10years.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
I think reliability is the main reason, which created the fanboi clubs. I love my ranger, but im skeptical this ecoboost will outlast the tacos v6. But good news is, i dont see many ppl now a days owning a truck let alone a car for more than 10years.
For some of us you learn the personality and care for it. In the long run itā€™s cheaper to keep her... ?

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
For some of us you learn the personality and care for it. In the long run itā€™s cheaper to keep her... ?
oh i agree....id still have my first car (99civic si) if it wasnt stolen and it had 130k trouble free miles and i street raced that in the bay area every weekend and took it to sac raceway on wed every month. My current 2010ā€™ jetta is still running strong with 120k miles and so far other than break replacements, trouble free. With that said? Do i think the 4L turbo will give me 100k+ miles? Im skeptical, but ill find out.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
oh i agree....id still have my first car (99civic si) if it wasnt stolen and it had 130k trouble free miles and i street raced that in the bay area every weekend and took it to sac raceway on wed every month. My current 2010ā€™ jetta is still running strong with 120k miles and so far other than break replacements, trouble free. With that said? Do i think the 4L turbo will give me 100k+ miles? Im skeptical, but ill find out.
Ya, I think as long as maintenance is done should be fine. Base engine has a good track record already. Some on here are at 60ish already.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Coming from a 2nd gen Tacoma, I feel Toyota earned its credibility over the years. And like the Jeep Wrangler, the Tacoma enjoys a cult-like following that the Ranger has yet to match. But just like in an actual cult, you must suspend some reality in order to be a member. Because this 3rd gen Tacoma is not a winner, and the Wrangler is still a genuine turd in many respects. But it seems there is safety in numbers when you buy into a cult.

In contrast, I think Ford really put a lot into the Ranger. Shame that many new Tacoma owners never gave the Ranger a chance, but that's their problem not mine.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a 2nd gen Tacoma, I feel Toyota earned its credibility over the years. And like the Jeep Wrangler, the Tacoma enjoys a cult-like following that the Ranger has yet to match. But just like in an actual cult, you must suspend some reality in order to be a member. Because this 3rd gen Tacoma is not a winner, and the Wrangler is still a genuine turd in many respects. But it seems there is safety in numbers when you buy into a cult.

In contrast, I think Ford really put a lot into the Ranger. Shame that many new Tacoma owners never gave the Ranger a chance, but that's their problem not mine.
I would agree with you that Toyota earned the reputation over the years - the real question is if that reputation is still warranted with new vehicles, or if they are just coasting on their reputation. My opinion is the latter. I have a feeling that whenever they do a real refresh of the Tacoma, they will up their game - if they don't they are going to fall behind. You can only lean on a reputation for so long before it catches up with you.

Having competition is good for everyone - it keeps companies on their toes and gives consumers more options and better products. I'm glad to see more entries in the mid sized market.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
2 reasons. First, they have a reputation for being reliable. Second, the only change their trucks ever 10-15 years so the aftermarket segment doesnā€™t have to keep remaking parts. What company doesnā€™t want to make something thag they can sell for a decade with minimal r&d? Thats my theory anyways.
Sponsored