Why do people like roof top tents so much?

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Is there something I'm not understanding here? I do a TON of camping, all over the place, but I just can't wrap my head around spending a few grand for a rack and tent system when I can just bust out my trusty $200 REI tent and set that up in a few minutes.

It seems the pros are:
  • Quick to set up (just pop it open)

Cons:
  • Added weight
  • Added wind resistance
  • Have to climb a ladder to get into the tent (cumbersome when drinking or carrying an animal/child into the tent)
  • Can only sleep on top of your truck (i.e. can't set up your tent anywhere you want that your truck might not be able to navigate to)
  • Cost

I assume there are other pros that I'm not considering, but on the surface it just seems like a huge waste of money for something that adds minimal benefits while conversely introducing lots of detriments.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A lot depends on location. There are things of various sizes with teeth and claws that are best avoided.
That was my first thought too but if a bear can climb a tree what's stopping him from climbing up the back side of your Ranger? If they smell food (you) they're going to get up into that tent one way or another. o_O Plus with my luck I'd forget I was up in a RTT and open the door and fall straight out!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well it's definately not for me, I still use a tent where I can easily get up in the night and pee, no way I'd ever want to use a ladder.

On the other hand I've gone camping numerous times in developed campgrounds and maybe 50% of the "campers" are in massive RVs and some mostly just sit in them watching TV or preparing microwave meals.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well it's definately not for me, I still use a tent where I can easily get up in the night and pee, no way I'd ever want to use a ladder.

On the other hand I've gone camping numerous times in developed campgrounds and maybe 50% of the "campers" are in massive RVs and some mostly just sit in them watching TV or preparing microwave meals.
I used to tent, then I met my wife and her mom had an RV on a private lot. Then I bought a small house across the lake. Now we say “we are going to camp this weekend” and people assume camping. I also watch TV and microwave meals when I camp. It is nice to get away though, so I don’t knock the people in RVs.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't intend to start any fights

But it may have something to do with this

1617122079903.png
Always wondered about that meme in the right lower corner. ie: a white xlt couple.

OP
OP
biggestjosh

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I used to tent, then I met my wife and her mom had an RV on a private lot. Then I bought a small house across the lake. Now we say “we are going to camp this weekend” and people assume camping. I also watch TV and microwave meals when I camp. It is nice to get away though, so I don’t knock the people in RVs.
Yeah, I think there is a time and place for everything. My wife and I honeymooned in Alaska, renting a small-ish RV for a couple weeks. We spent our days ice climbing, kayaking, fishing, and hiking, and then evenings hiding inside the RV to escape the mosquitos and to watch The Office and cook elaborate meals. It was awesome!

So I think an RV makes a ton of sense, as well as actual truck campers. But a roof top tent just seems like it's not really adding any value—it doesn't provide the luxury of an RV or camper, and it doesn't provide the flexibility of a tent.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah, I think there is a time and place for everything. My wife and I honeymooned in Alaska, renting a small-ish RV for a couple weeks. We spent our days ice climbing, kayaking, fishing, and hiking, and then evenings hiding inside the RV to escape the mosquitos and to watch The Office and cook elaborate meals. It was awesome!

So I think an RV makes a ton of sense, as well as actual truck campers. But a roof top tent just seems like it's not really adding any value—it doesn't provide the luxury of an RV or camper, and it doesn't provide the flexibility of a tent.
It gives you a solid platform regardless of terrain and keeps you out of flood danger. It also allows for quick setup/tear down.

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
I know some people that have them and use them regularly, but for most people I'm not sure they really make sense. I think some people like the idea of going somewhere and quickly setting camp, but they overestimate how much they will actually use it. I'm on the iKamper Resell Facebook page, and I wish I had a dollar for everytime I saw a for sale post that said something to the effect of "6months old, only used once, selling because I don't use it as much as I thought I would." I'm taking a 5000 mile road trip this summer with my two oldest kids, and I never considered a roof top tent because how much it would kill my gas milage, and I don't want to fold up my tent every time I need to drive somewhere. For $3k+ I can buy a really nice tent and a whole lot of camping gear. Finally, let's be honest. With the whole overloading trend, people just want to drive around with a RTT to flex and look cool. If I did a lot of local weekend camping, I'd probably consider one.

OP
OP
biggestjosh

biggestjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
It gives you a solid platform regardless of terrain and keeps you out of flood danger. It also allows for quick setup/tear down.
I guess I could see the value of having a solid platform, and not being in flood danger. I've set up my tent in probably hundreds of locations at this point, and never struggled to find a flat-ish spot, and haven't ever been flooded—though maybe folks in other regions have to consider that more than I do here in the PNW.

As far as a quick setup/tear down, I can set up my tent, 3 sleeping pads, and 3 sleeping bags in like 5 minutes, so that's not a big value add for me. Though there have been rainy/snowy situations where it would certainly have been nice to just flip open a roof top tent!

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I'm not a huge fan. I hate the idea of having to pack it up anytime you want to drive somewhere. Im not always moving camp daily but I usually end up driving daily to go try other trails or find other hikes. For me, a good quick set up tent is a much better fit and takes up a lot less room.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have a RTT, and will add to your list. I'm a fairly neutral RTT owner/user as I received my tent for free. I don't have a vested interest in promoting them to justify money I spent. I would not pay anywhere near full price for one, based on my experience. My addition comments are in red

Pros:
  • Quick to set up (just pop it open)
  • Stays clean due to not being on the ground. This is especially useful in rain/damp weather. The moisture on the tent is clean, and drys clean, unlike a ground tent. If you take your shoes off prior to getting in the tent, it really never gets dirty in or out.
  • Can setup anywhere. No need for a flat space. I think this is main draw for the Overlanding crowd.

Cons:
  • Added weight
  • Added wind resistance
  • Have to climb a ladder to get into the tent (cumbersome when drinking or carrying an animal/child into the tent)
  • Can only sleep on top of your truck (i.e. can't set up your tent anywhere you want that your truck might not be able to navigate to)
  • Cost
  • Once you setup, you can't use your vehicle to drive anywhere without folding up the tent. If you fold up the tent, and drive away temporarily, someone can take your camping spot without a tent to 'claim the spot. This is the biggest negative to me, and why we only use our RTT for single night camping, usually on road trips, or before/after backpacking trips.
  • Storage space when off the vehicle can be a concern. Also hard to get on/off vehicle without help, unless you have a hoist system.

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Ease of use, if i had the luxury of being able to afford a car STRICTLY for camping/exploring i'd probably entertain that option. But since i actually use my Ranger for semi daily use and home chores, it's a big inconvenience.

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Ranger, Cessna Skywagon
Ease of use, if i had the luxury of being able to afford a car STRICTLY for camping/exploring i'd probably entertain that option. But since i actually use my Ranger for semi daily use and home chores, it's a big inconvenience.
Same here. I don't want it to be a chore to remove a RTT when I want to use my truck as a truck. Much easier for me to just throw a tent in when I need it.
Sponsored