Who came from Tacoma?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Mick, out of curiosity, what can the Ranger do that the Tacoma can’t do? Both trucks are targeted towards the same market, and I’m not seeing what one can do that the other can’t.
Sponsored

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
I was really thinking about another Tacoma... for da 5 or 6-speed manual clutch transmission...A Real 3-pedal transmission...Especially in a crew cab pickup... but those are rare... these stealerships didn't wanna negotiate... So I told every one of 'em... you don't want my $$$$

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mick, out of curiosity, what can the Ranger do that the Tacoma can’t do? Both trucks are targeted towards the same market, and I’m not seeing what one can do that the other can’t.
I've only test driven a Tacoma, but my opinion is that the Ranger will tow WAY better than a Gen3 Tacoma. That, plus the truck just feels better - with the Gen3 Tacomas, it always felt like I had to really encourage it to get going - with the Ranger it feels almost effortless. The powertrain in the Gen3 models really turned me off. The powertrain in the Ranger is far superior I think and it does tow superbly - there are lots of reports on how well it tows. I think the Tacoma is slightly better in the off road department, but that is only if you want to get really hard core. For "normal" off roading that most will do, I think they are pretty comparable. For those that want to do the hard core stuff, there is plenty of aftermarket stuff to help improve the Ranger's abilities in that department.

Edit - I test drove an automatic - it may be that the Tacoma manual is not at lethargic - I don't know.

Last edited:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, 2017 Tacom TRD OR 4x4. Rough riding dog.
Tacoma Grille.JPG

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Ranger can tow a heavy trailer without screaming in agony. It can also get out of its own way when you mash the gas and want it to move. The Ranger can also hold its highest gear when cruising at 75mph, even going uphill, which is the opposite of the turd gen Tacoma. That thing has to shift down 2 gears on the highway to maintain 75mph. Been there, done that!

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Sorry for the delayed response - the Tacoma can do for us everything that the Ranger can do. The Ranger just seems to do things more effortlessly. The Ranger is also more comfortable to me. It just seems more refined than the Tacoma. But I am definitely a fan of Toyota. We pulled our horse trailer over to Idaho with the Ranger to pick up a horse a few weeks ago and enjoyed a quiet smooth ride over and back. We could have used the Tacoma and it would have done the job just fine, but the Ranger never seemed to have to work very hard. Maybe it’s the transmission with all those gears.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
If you have 30 minutes, you can watch the video of a pretty legit tow test between the Tacoma and the Ranger. They tow a trailer that is at the high end of what these trucks should pull and towed it through the mountains of Colorado. The Ranger won the tow test, but as the guys doing to the test said, it was a lot closer than they thought it would be. The Ranger narrowly won the up-hill test. The Tacoma narrowly won the down-hill test. They had a sound meter in the cab, and the Ranger narrowly won the dB test. They were going up a 7% grade and they didn’t let the trucks exceed 60 mph. The Tacoma was running the expected high rpm’s and looked to be tapped out. The Ranger was bouncing between 4th – 6th gear, but looked to have the potential to exceed 60 mph.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't touch another 3rd gen Tacoma. I'm not going to look at Tacoma until the 4th gen. At that time I will put it against the newly redesigned Ranger and make a decision. It might be the last vehicle I own Lol

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
If you have 30 minutes, you can watch the video of a pretty legit tow test between the Tacoma and the Ranger. They tow a trailer that is at the high end of what these trucks should pull and towed it through the mountains of Colorado. The Ranger won the tow test, but as the guys doing to the test said, it was a lot closer than they thought it would be. The Ranger narrowly won the up-hill test. The Tacoma narrowly won the down-hill test. They had a sound meter in the cab, and the Ranger narrowly won the dB test. They were going up a 7% grade and they didn’t let the trucks exceed 60 mph. The Tacoma was running the expected high rpm’s and looked to be tapped out. The Ranger was bouncing between 4th – 6th gear, but looked to have the potential to exceed 60 mph.

Another thing I was thinking about when I drove my Tacoma today was the “sitting on the floor” feeling. I’m more “upright “ in the Ranger. Every Toyota truck I’ve owned (since my 1974 HiLux) has made my legs stretch forward like driving a car. The Ranger has me sitting up in a more “truck-like” position, which I prefer for some reason.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Another thing I was thinking about when I drove my Tacoma today was the “sitting on the floor” feeling. I’m more “upright “ in the Ranger. Every Toyota truck I’ve owned (since my 1974 HiLux) has made my legs stretch forward like driving a car. The Ranger has me sitting up in a more “truck-like” position, which I prefer for some reason.
Yes, I think I am somewhat used to that sitting on the floor feeling, since my previous car was a Mustang.

My wife was heavily into horses a number of years back. She started with a 2 horse bumper pull trailer and then moved to a 3 horse gooseneck. We used a Ram 2500 to pull the horse trailers. How do these mid-side trucks handle the horse moving around?

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yes, I think I am somewhat used to that sitting on the floor feeling, since my previous car was a Mustang.

My wife was heavily into horses a number of years back. She started with a 2 horse bumper pull trailer and then moved to a 3 horse gooseneck. We used a Ram 2500 to pull the horse trailers. How do these mid-side trucks handle the horse moving around?
The Tacoma and the Ranger are both very stable with the horses moving around. But again, we just pull a 2 horse straight load trailer (bumper-pull). Both of these mid-sized trucks have worked well for us. And they’re easier to park and maneuver than full size trucks. I would guess that the Ranger would work great with a gooseneck setup. I love the fully-boxed frame and (basically) the f-150 transmission that is in the Ranger.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I will echo thoughts here on the 2nd gen Tacoma. I had 200k on my 05 Trd Sport 4wd when I traded it for the Ranger. Great truck, solid and reliable , the 4.0 had good torque and the auto trans never had any doubt what gear it needed. I also really liked the composite bedliner, sliding tiedown system, and elec outlet in the bed. It seemed light years ahead of the 4 Rangers I owned before it, but the 3rd gen model really let me down with its downsized engine and wishy-washy trans. But the new Ranger is a quantum leap again over my Tacoma, which now feels dated and crude in comparison. It feels good being a Ranger owner again, and the Tacoma 'bro' thing was never much of a thing.

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Last year when I rode in a freinds '21 or'22 taco, and he mashed the pedal down, there was a ton of noise and not much acceleration.
Also, is the TRD actually called that because of what it sounds like? (turd)

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
1999 Taco 2 WD Scab which I still have. 148,000 miles. Special ordered it with V6, Automatic tranny and SR5 package. She has a killer stereo too. Still a great truck but I like my Ranger way better these days no doubt about that.
Taco.jpg
Sponsored