WHO HAS COME OVER [OR UP] TO RANGER 2019 FROM EXPLORER?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings to all. I have committed to trading in my 2014 Ford Explorer Limited (73,000 miles) for the 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, and will take delivery in mid-August. Has anyone else come over (or up) to the Ranger from the Explorer? If so, what are your impressions of the new vehicle vs. the old one? The wife and I loved our Explorer and only complaints were its mediocre gas mileage (c. 18 MPG combined, lifetime) and the limited ground clearance, especially the low-hanging front air dam. We are looking forward to the Ranger's more efficient motor, higher ground clearance, off-road capacity (just in case), and the B&O sound system. I appreciate your comments!
Sponsored

Last edited:

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I didn't come from an Explorer, but I can guarantee that you'll be getting better fuel economy with the Ranger! I'm getting 24-26 mpg on the highway depending on speed. 20-24 city depending on conditions.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I didn't come from an Explorer, but I can guarantee that you'll be getting better fuel economy with the Ranger! I'm getting 24-26 mpg on the highway depending on speed. 20-24 city depending on conditions.
Wife has an Edge Sport (Like a fat baby Explorer?) It gets 19.5mpg tops, where the Ranger is getting over 25 on most tanks in mixed driving conditions.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings to all. I have committed to trading in my 2014 Ford Explorer Limited (73,000 miles) for the 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, and will take delivery in mid-August. Has anyone else come over (or up) to the Ranger from the Explorer? If so, what are your impressions of the new vehicle vs. the old one? The wife and I loved our Explorer and only complaints were its mediocre gas mileage (c. 18 MPG combined, lifetime) and the limited ground clearance, especially the low-hanging front air dam. We are looking forward to the Ranger's more efficient motor, higher ground clearance, off-road capacity (just in case), and the B&O sound system. I appreciate your comments!
I traded in my '15 Explorer Limited (38,000 miles) and I love my Ranger Lariat FX4. I too got 18mpg life avg in the Explorer and my current 3K+ miles driven is avg 16.7 MPG w/ no babying it. Had a 305 mile trip w/ trailer in tow w/ 9.3 and 10 MPG. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-are-you-guys-towing.1768/page-9#post-46525

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I traded my '17 Explorer Sport for my Lariat Sport FX4 and I don't regret the switch one bit. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Explorer sport ( it was my second, lost the first to a T-bone accident) but I fell in love with the Ranger when I first saw one in person a couple of months ago. I fought the urge to buy as lone as I could and with Memorial Day rebates and Ford X-pricing I had to do it. Saw the dealer was taking delivery of on almost exactly as I would have ordered and was there when it came off the truck, it never made it to the lot...
Out with the old:
2017 Explorer Sport 5.jpg

In with the new:
20190617_102913.jpg

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
We have a 2016 Exploer, and there is a definitely a difference.

The Ranger is smaller on the inside, and not just generally. It also feels more basic. Both of mine are XLT's, but the Explorer is optioned out with Leather, LED's, panoramic sunroof, navigation and 20's yet cost they cost same. The Ranger does have more safety features and has the fx4 package.

It's really what your looking for. The Ranger is better for milage and off road. The Explorer is better for the mom car and maybe a better road tripper.

So for me it works out in my driveway.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I’d say as far as inside front row room goes (width, headroom, overall space around you) the closest vehicle I have owned size wise to my 2019 Ranger would be my 2005 Explorer. The 2011+ Explorers are bigger all around, however some of it seems to be wasted space in that design. The second row seemed a to have a little more legroom in the Explorer vs. the Ranger just because it’s a crew cab pickup vs. an SUV.

The Ranger will be more rugged and not quite as refined, but far more capable off road.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I came from a 2013 Escape to the Ranger in normal driving conditions you won't notice much difference but once you get off road or bad road you maybe a little shocked at how firm the ride is. Your passengers may find the off road ride harsh and being a FX4 the ride will probably firmer than my XLT. You will love your new Ranger but keep in mind it is a completely different driving experience. One last thing being a FX4 the tire noise will be noticeable but being a FX4 you'll have a lot of fun off road.

OP
OP
RANGER_MARC

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, thanks for all the information and advice. I picked up my Lariat yesterday, 18 August. So far I have not driven it enough to draw any meaningful conclusions about the mileage, but it seems like a vastly better driving experience compared with the Explorer, more comfortable seats, riding higher, definitely more bouncing and weaving over rough patches in the road but generally calm and quiet inside the cabin on smooth roads--perfect for listening to the killer B & O sound system on my daily drive! Another plus is that my petite wife (four foot eleven inches) can climb up on the passengers' side with no problems, and she likes the seats better than the Explorer's! (Happy wife, happy life, as the saying goes.) The 2.3 X 10 speed transmission rocks on the freeway, although I resolve to take it easy until after the first 1,000 miles, not easy to do given that the Ranger accelerates so effortlessly! The images below were taken at the dealer's lot. The sales agent was nice enough to put the old and new vehicles next to one another to facilitate moving all of my remaining junk from the Old Ride to the New Ranger! We loved the Explorer, but it was time (five years, 73,000 miles) to move on....

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Bought a new 93' Ranger with the ol' dual plug 2.3L 4 cylinder...85mph speedo that it could never reach. But i did love that truck. Later years, had a 2000 Explorer sport (loved, loved LOVED it), 2005 Explorer XLT (loved it mostly, except for the trans...all 3 of them.) Then had a 2011 Edge, meh.

Was going to go back to an Explorer St now that it was rear wheel drive, but it still felt like a mini van. Wasn't too interested in Ranger since its an old chassis, bad reviews, and only 4 cylinder but i sat in one in the showroom and decided...you know, this feels pretty good even though a lot of the touch pieces remind me of my Edge.

Tried to take a new Ranger home but a block away from dealership the tail lights went out...oh well, the loaner Ranger is pretty nice lol.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Bought a new 93' Ranger with the ol' dual plug 2.3L 4 cylinder...85mph speedo that it could never reach. But i did love that truck. Later years, had a 2000 Explorer sport (loved, loved LOVED it), 2005 Explorer XLT (loved it mostly, except for the trans...all 3 of them.) Then had a 2011 Edge, meh.

Was going to go back to an Explorer St now that it was rear wheel drive, but it still felt like a mini van. Wasn't too interested in Ranger since its an old chassis, bad reviews, and only 4 cylinder but i sat in one in the showroom and decided...you know, this feels pretty good even though a lot of the touch pieces remind me of my Edge.

Tried to take a new Ranger home but a block away from dealership the tail lights went out...oh well, the loaner Ranger is pretty nice lol.
I’d say if you liked the 2000 and 2005 Explorers you’ll like the Ranger. It sort of has a similar size and feel, but with a longer wheelbase and a box.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, thanks for all the information and advice. I picked up my Lariat yesterday, 18 August. So far I have not driven it enough to draw any meaningful conclusions about the mileage, but it seems like a vastly better driving experience compared with the Explorer, more comfortable seats, riding higher, definitely more bouncing and weaving over rough patches in the road but generally calm and quiet inside the cabin on smooth roads--perfect for listening to the killer B & O sound system on my daily drive! Another plus is that my petite wife (four foot eleven inches) can climb up on the passengers' side with no problems, and she likes the seats better than the Explorer's! (Happy wife, happy life, as the saying goes.) The 2.3 X 10 speed transmission rocks on the freeway, although I resolve to take it easy until after the first 1,000 miles, not easy to do given that the Ranger accelerates so effortlessly! The images below were taken at the dealer's lot. The sales agent was nice enough to put the old and new vehicles next to one another to facilitate moving all of my remaining junk from the Old Ride to the New Ranger! We loved the Explorer, but it was time (five years, 73,000 miles) to move on....

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG
Hhmmm...that truck looks vaguely familiar...

Congrats, Marc!

Don Hezlep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat Super Crew/ 2016 Ford F250 4X4 Super Crew
We just came back from Explorer to our fifth Ranger. We had sold both of our '98s in 2010 and moved to one Explorer and one F250 tow vehicle.
20190727_164509.jpg
20190727_164436.jpg
Sponsored