Who am I to believe? (Heads up 2019 owners)

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Yes, you need this device. There is no direct way to get coolant back into the system. Just filling the reservoir won't work.

And for the Harbor Freight recommendation : Hell yes! ....don't remember why I didn't buy the vac tool there. But I'm a pretty serious DIYer, and I purchase most of my tools from HF. ...few have failed me, and their prices are low enough that you could buy a second for a spare for less than a single top shelf tool.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Is this not the radiator/antifreeze drain plug? Thanks might replace orange with yellow.
why on earth would you crack open a sealed system for no reason?

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
why on earth would you crack open a sealed system for no reason?
To put in the yellow coolant. 200k vs 100k life. Working on the truck is always fun. This truck is pretty easy to tinker with.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
To put in the yellow coolant. 200k vs 100k life. Working on the truck is always fun. This truck is pretty easy to tinker with.
If you read the fine print if you replace the orange with the yellow, it will still be only 100k, not 200k.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Yep. Wait until 100K mi. By then something newer and better will show up. .....for the next 100K mi.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Great...so wait until 100k and then change it

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I got lost in the thread. So, can Zerex G05 be used in a 2020?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I have an off topic question. Have you guys run into to trouble with the reservoir caps? Every Ford IVe owned here and worked on, those caps break and separate when removing. They dont really break like a crack, just the body separates from the cap. YOu have to carefully dig the lower part out of the reservoir. I asked the service center manager about it, he showed me a huge supply of them. He said almost everyone they work on, the caps break. They have been this way for years. When my unit was a just a few months old, I turned it just to see and sure enough I could feel the tension on it. This is not pressure tension. I know its going to do the same thing when time to change. The seals seem to swell up almost immediate.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have an off topic question. Have you guys run into to trouble with the reservoir caps? Every Ford IVe owned here and worked on, those caps break and separate when removing. They dont really break like a crack, just the body separates from the cap. YOu have to carefully dig the lower part out of the reservoir. I asked the service center manager about it, he showed me a huge supply of them. He said almost everyone they work on, the caps break. They have been this way for years. When my unit was a just a few months old, I turned it just to see and sure enough I could feel the tension on it. This is not pressure tension. I know its going to do the same thing when time to change. The seals seem to swell up almost immediate.
I have seen some of the older coolant caps separate like you are describing but that is usually due to high heat and ppastic not getting along.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I got lost in the thread. So, can Zerex G05 be used in a 2020?
DY = Yellow-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B57-A1 or WSS-M97B57-A2 (Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/Coolant) according to https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf.
G05 says it meets WSS-M97B51-A1 spec, according to the PI sheet from https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/g-05-antifreeze-coolant . That's an old spec, so it appears to be a no. (https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Coolants_Brochure.pdf)

Besides, the cost is about the same, so why bother?

cocheese72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab
Occupation
IT
Yes, you need this device. There is no direct way to get coolant back into the system. Just filling the reservoir won't work.
The service manual has a procedure for: Filling and Bleeding without a Vacuum Cooling System Filler.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The service manual has a procedure for: Filling and Bleeding without a Vacuum Cooling System Filler.
Yeah.... About that procedure...... Its a great way to waist an entire day if you have nothing else better to do. The unfortunate truth as I have done that before!!
Sponsored