Maintenance Schedule From Owners Manual

gcdodson

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So, I'm coming up on 20k miles and was a bit surprised to find that the only thing (besides change oil) Ford recommends is to change the cabin air filter? I was kind of surprised in general by how little maintenance Ford recommends for these trucks throughout their life.

Should I just be glad a roll with it? Is there a more exhaustive maintenance schedule posted someplace that I should follow instead? Curious to hear thoughts from others.
Sponsored

OP
OP

gcdodson

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
What a loaded question to be asking a truck forum. haha You're going to get soooo many different answers and strong opinions. haha

As an engineer, who has set a handful of maintenance schedules on products I create and work on, I tend to trust the recommended maintenance schedule on pretty much anything. They designed the product, so they know the best about what needs to be done when and how often. They've done the exhaustive testing and know what's best.

In the end, it's your truck and you can ultimately do what you want. Change everything every 1000 miles if you want.

Thanks Matt. I too am an engineer, which is partly why I was surprised by how little maintenance was suggested. lol

Perhaps a different question would be: Is anyone else surprised by how little maintenance Ford recommends for these trucks? haha

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
As an old fart I was used to changing the oil every 3K miles. When the newer cars started recommending 7-10K on the oil I had the hardest time accepting that. So, I forced myself to move up to 5K. I can follow the rest of the recommendations, but that's as far as I can go with the oil. I've heard all the arguments about wasting my money, but I'm still sticking with 5. :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As an old fart I was used to changing the oil every 3K miles. When the newer cars started recommending 7-10K on the oil I had the hardest time accepting that. So, I forced myself to move up to 5K. I can follow the rest of the recommendations, but that's as far as I can go with the oil. I've heard all the arguments about wasting my money, but I'm still sticking with 5. :)
I do the same thing Jim but sometimes I live on the edge and push it to 6K. :shock: I honestly don't even know what they recommend for the air filter but I just change that once a year and I only drive about 8,000 miles. It's so dusty out here and even worse when we're off roading in the sandy washes I figure for $20.00 why not?

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have just over 26,000 miles now. Oil change for me as close to 5000 miles as I can. Other maintenance will be as recommended. Air & cabin will be checked regularly & changed as needed. Last air & cabin filter change was around 20,000 don't have exact #s near me. See photos. Had 5 drives back & forth from Texas to Mo during move back to Mo. Those two items I don't believe you can change by mileage numbers. Putting numbers aside I always check for premature wear on anything I can check. :thumbsup:

DSCN8288.JPG

DSCN8292.JPG

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
All three of my boys are mechanical engineers an I don't think either of them can change their own oil. One did build a pretty sweet E bike.

I'm big on getting the first oil change out of the way an did it at 3K an do 5-6K intervals now an I plan on doing the rear diff this spring which will be around 15K. The thread on the diffs an xfer case was surprising...how dirty the rear was with shavings. The front an xfer case were clean, assuming little time is spent in 4x4.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I do the same thing Jim but sometimes I live on the edge and push it to 6K. :shock: I honestly don't even know what they recommend for the air filter but I just change that once a year and I only drive about 8,000 miles. It's so dusty out here and even worse when we're off roading in the sandy washes I figure for $20.00 why not?
Me too brother. We're taking the Jeep to the beach in a couple weeks. It's right at the 5K mark for a change, but the oil life monitor shows 50%. So, imma gonna push it till we get back. Shouldn't be but approx. 800 over my imaginary line. You know what they say, "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room". :)

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Whatever lets you sleep at night. I always read about people changing their lubricants more often than scheduled by the manufacturer's engineering departments. I can't recall ever hearing of anybody rotating their tires twice as much.
Sponsored