Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

This is more of an update to a prior thread of mine.... I had a asked about what improvements are gained after “tuning” and running 87octane. It seems there are many benefits to a “tune” even if not purely interested in straight up HP/TQ gains.

Anyway, back to the point, I found this in my owner’s manual after someone suggested I run at least 91octane based on Ford recommendations(see attached picture). I did not believe it until I saw it because when I bought the truck the sales guy was adamant about no need for higher octane fuel.

I live in Phoenix, and based on the manual 91 seem like the best choice for this area. 87 is the MINIMUM, 91 or higher is recommended for best performance according to Ford.
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Hey guys,

This is more of an update to a prior thread of mine.... I had a asked about what improvements are gained after “tuning” and running 87octane. It seems there are many benefits to a “tune” even if not purely interested in straight up HP/TQ gains.

Anyway, back to the point, I found this in my owner’s manual after someone suggested I run at least 91octane based on Ford recommendations(see attached picture). I did not believe it until I saw it because when I bought the truck the sales guy was adamant about no need for higher octane fuel.

I live in Phoenix, and based on the manual 91 seem like the best choice for this area. 87 is the MINIMUM, 91 or higher is recommended for best performance according to Ford.
Yeah, I live in PHX too, and get my 91 from Costco. The truck does seem a bit more responsive and smooth to me with the 91 octane. I can't explain why (there are certainly those here that can), but it does seem that way to me.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey guys,

I was running 87 up until a couple weeks ago. I started using 91 because I was getting the Livernois tune and wanted to run the 91-93 performance tune. You can definitely feel the difference running higher octane. Now that it's tuned it's a rocket! :rockon:

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

Hope this helps if your wondering like I was about “tuning” and which octane to run. I was not looking to run 91 octane but I am now that I know it’s best for the truck.
C8573506-7CCD-4F1B-8715-0E0D8416A578.jpeg

OP
OP
DrummerAmos

DrummerAmos

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Cardiac Cath
Vehicle Showcase
I was running 87 up until a couple weeks ago. I started using 91 because I was getting the Livernois tune and wanted to run the 91-93 performance tune. You can definitely feel the difference running higher octane. Now that it's tuned it's a rocket! :rockon:
Got mine yesterday!

8A1825BD-C4A4-41CB-BF7B-A84B43A7F72D.jpeg

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
87 for me. $20 more a tank is not worth it to me.
And around me the 87 is fresher because everyone runs it, the "premium" tends to sit in the tank awhile.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Got mine yesterday!

8A1825BD-C4A4-41CB-BF7B-A84B43A7F72D.jpeg
You're going to love it! I wish I didn't procrastinate it and bought it sooner. The $100.00 off and lifetime tunes was a huge plus. The shifts are a little harsh at first but smooth out after about 100 miles if you're running the performance tune.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
My guess is that due to variances in altitude the 91 Octane recommendation is a safe value.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
From when I bought the truck (mid-April) until beginning of this month, I was running 87. On the forum here I had read about others using a higher octane and finally decided to just do it. I'm still on my first tank, and I know its going to take a few fill-ups before the engine gets caught up completely, but I have already noticed that this tank has lasted noticeably longer in around town driving.

I was being a penny pincher not wanting to, but I wish I would have done it sooner. After doing the math, it's worth the extra $4.00/ a fill up (that's if I was on E, usually don't let it get below half). And in the long run, I'm sure it will be even more so.

Using regular: averaged about 19.5 mpg
Using premium: averaging 20.7 mpg.

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
87 for me. $20 more a tank is not worth it to me.
And around me the 87 is fresher because everyone runs it, the "premium" tends to sit in the tank awhile.
$20 a tank?!? Premium must be ALOT more compared to regular where your located. Here in the PNW it's about $.30/gal more. So doesn't cost more than $4.80 IF your on E. I don't let it get below half so usually $2.50 more per fill up, and the better fuel economy more than makes up for it.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
$20 a tank?!? Premium must be ALOT more compared to regular where your located. Here in the PNW it's about $.30/gal more. So doesn't cost more than $4.80 IF your on E. I don't let it get below half so usually $2.50 more per fill up, and the better fuel economy more than makes up for it.
Its not really $20, its only like $12-13 (.75 more a gallon) but it feels like double ?. Our premium is only 91 too.

Shouldn't even sell gas below 93 IMO. Get rid of the "regular"/"premium" marketing game BS.

Edit: Thats why I like the diesel game.
You got a 40yr old farm tractor? fill it with #2 diesel
You got a 2500 hp pullin truck? fill it with #2 diesel

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I'm in PA, 93 is pretty much everywhere and that's all I use.

Reactions: Doc

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I use 93 octane ethanol-free gas. I think it runs better and if I think it runs better, it's worth the extra quarter or so a gallon. To each his/her own.

Nessrob

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
In Mn our highest octane is 91. I switch back and forth between 87 and 91 and there sure seems to be a difference in power. I wonder how much the new Ford Performance tune increases the hp and torque vs the fuel?

Reactions: Doc

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
We have 87, 89 and 93 pretty much everywhere here in Alabama. I have been running 93 since I got mine 3 months ago. Driving 3 hours up I-65 last week I got 25.3 mpg. Coming back put 89 in just to see if it would be any different. Got 22.7 mpg on the same drive home...even tried to stay out of the throttle coming back.
I drive 1 mile round trip each day to work. I am going to fill up every other Friday wether I need it or not. Going to use 93 octane from here on.
Sponsored