Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are great!

But I just can’t see taking a brand new truck and doing what you guys are doing to it. I mean if was a very wealthy, sure no problem. But for my everyday vehicle that I am still paying on, no way.

I do a lot of motorcycle track days/ amateur racing and I run across folks who have brand new financed motorcycles out on the race track all the time and just scratch my head.
Remember, there's using a vehicle in ways it was designed and then there's abusing a vehicle without care.

I suspect most, if not all, of us fit in the former.

I'm not going to buy a truck and then not use the bed because it might get scratched. I take precautions (spray-in bedliner), but use it for what it's designed. I go off-road, but I'm not baja driving or rock crawling beyond what it can take in its current state. Plus, think about people who live in less developed areas, along dirt or unimproved roads, that's not any harder wear than these things.

I was the same with my mustang. A full set of rubber was~$1200, and would last about 25k miles. But that doesn't mean I don't drive it. I took it in a total of two track days to be able to push its limits and get familiar and comfortable. It was a new car as well, but it was also designed for that kind of use.

To each their own, but I don't think anything that I've seen in here is out of what I'd consider normal usage.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I get what guys are saying in justifying your use of the truck. But my point is if I wanted to go off road, scratch up a vehicle and potentially break things on it, it would not be a brand new one and if it was, it wouldn’t be done until it is paid off. There are loads of better alternatives that come pre-scratched. All of that is assuming I’m not wealthy and don’t otherwise care about burning money. Just my two cents. Don’t want to muddle up this thread anymore.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hit him up...he's a member here...
Nah, I was just badmouthing him about the "to be continued" marketing when he grabbed our interest at the end of the video!
I'm sure we'll find out if his plan to get by the washout was 'genius' or 'moronic' in Part 4!
Me, I'm suspecting he still had some work to do before he got by the washout. But, who knows, he might have got lucky with that Rube-Goldberg fill-in he showed us!
Looking forward to the final episode!

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
The way I figure it, we bought a truck to be a truck and if we don't use it like a truck, why have a truck?

But I'm guilty of being anal about it too. My son keeps saying "it's a truck, Dad!!" I tell him it's possible to take care of something and still get it dirty but family will not be patient with me babying the thing.

A "real" cowboy buddy said the first thing a true friend does when someone buys a new truck is key it for them -- that way they never have to worry about getting that first scratch.

MMorf

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
The way I figure it, we bought a truck to be a truck and if we don't use it like a truck, why have a truck?

But I'm guilty of being anal about it too. My son keeps saying "it's a truck, Dad!!" I tell him it's possible to take care of something and still get it dirty but family will not be patient with me babying the thing.

A "real" cowboy buddy said the first thing a true friend does when someone buys a new truck is key it for them -- that way they never have to worry about getting that first scratch.
I accidently key'd my own Ranger a week after getting it. I set a round padlock, key sticking straight up, on the bumber and then dropped the tailgate onto it.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

I don't know about keying it on purpose; but I agree, once you get the first ding, you can stop worrying about it and enjoy your truck.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My ranger will anywhere I want it to. To work, the grocery store, the bank, menards, homedepot etc you name it.
?

Deleted member 1634

I accidently key'd my own Ranger a week after getting it. I set a round padlock, key sticking straight up, on the bumber and then dropped the tailgate onto it.
I don't know about keying it on purpose; but I agree, once you get the first ding, you can stop worrying about it and enjoy your truck.
Got my first scratch literally the next morning after driving it home from the dealer, less than 24hrs of ownership. Upset at the time, but it was definitely a reliever. I've since added a handful more scratches and dings. Definitely a less stressful life.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Got my first scratch literally the next morning after driving it home from the dealer, less than 24hrs of ownership. Upset at the time, but it was definitely a reliever. I've since added a handful more scratches and dings. Definitely a less stressful life.
I mean as poster above shared, this is the value of buying an older truck, it's pre-worn like an old pair of jeans. We also looked for a used ranger, none to be had and honestly the finance and cash incentives made the economics better than used even if we do wear it in before selling it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I mean as poster above shared, this is the value of buying an older truck, it's pre-worn like an old pair of jeans. We also looked for a used ranger, none to be had and honestly the finance and cash incentives made the economics better than used even if we do wear it in before selling it.
Um...like my wife says...You are not the first, but your are the best!, eh?

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
@Gizmokid2005 beat me to it. Hungry Valley and he was there also when we did the Ranger Jam back in February. Check out a bunch of pictures and videos in the California section of the forum. The pictures begin on page number 9 with more on page 10 and 11.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

The problem with that for me is my control issue. I like/need to know and be in control of what has happened to my things. Getting something used also never quite feels like it's ever mine. I always feel like I'm just continuously borrowing someone else's item. I'll admit it's a personal problem, and not entirely valid, but I am but a human with irrational issues. haha
Sponsored