Where will a bone stock FX4 Ranger go?

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Well sure, if you always move everyone up by the same amount (putting the same money in the other vehicles as you say), then nothing changes. Everybody just goes up a level and the leader will always be head of the pack. But as far as I understand it, that's not what the poster is positing. They're claiming that for a cheaper price, you could mod a Ranger into a hardcore off-roader that would be able to go toe-to-toe with the class leaders. You could add a front locker and disconnectable sway bars and all the other crazy goodies a Glad or ZR2 comes with to a Ranger. It's not impossible. It'd just take time, money, and effort. Whether or not it would be cheaper, I don't know, but it is possible.
The problem is that I can get a fully loaded ZR2 for ~40k (with a diesel)otd(I paid 41.3k otd for mine). What can you get a fully loaded ranger for? Maybe about the same......but it still can't compete.

However the argument of " let me throw 20k at something but you keep yours stock so mine will better" argument is dumb. It's just silly....... you need a fair amount of money just to get the ranger to articulate to the levels of a ZR2 or gladiator. You're looking at ~6k (not including install) for that and then add another 2k for locker and installation. So you can spend ~50-55k to be as capable as a bone stock ZR2?

That logic works on anything. With enough money you can make anything badass. I mean, why not buy a 96 ford ranger for like 2k and throw 50-55k at......what would that do? It's just an endless argument
Sponsored

Methos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger XLT
The problem is that I can get a fully loaded ZR2 for ~40k (with a diesel)otd(I paid 41.3k otd for mine). What can you get a fully loaded ranger for? Maybe about the same......but it still can't compete.
Cool. Not sure why you are on a Ranger forum just to talk about how your ZR2 is better. That guy obviously loves his Ranger.

I'm continually impressed at the stock FX4 Ranger in all aspects as a daily driver, as a truck, and off road. As for the 'what is the best built midsize truck', define your goals (e.g., overlander, rock crawler, baja, adventure truck, work truck + weekend warrior, etc.) and then maybe you can have a discussion. In the end, I hope people enjoy whatever they put their hard earned cash into.

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
Cool. Not sure why you are on a Ranger forum just to talk about how your ZR2 is better. That guy obviously loves his Ranger.

I'm continually impressed at the stock FX4 Ranger in all aspects as a daily driver, as a truck, and off road. As for the 'what is the best built midsize truck', define your goals (e.g., overlander, rock crawler, baja, adventure truck, work truck + weekend warrior, etc.) and then maybe you can have a discussion. In the end, I hope people enjoy whatever they put their hard earned cash into.
Well I have a ranger and i think the ranger is better at being a truck. However I'm not gonna pretend that it's even near the same level of offroad capability as the ZR2.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
To help answer the OP's question, this came up in my feed this morning.

Bone stock FX4. Most issue he had was a little bump and grind. If he uses the locker, I haven't seen it yet. Currently at the 9:00 mark.

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
It is an interesting debate and would love to see the FX4 or new Tremor in a real unbiased test vs the Colorado ZR2. It would be cool to see real world off-road to the more extreme side and figure out what each vehicles limits are (push to failure) type of test. What is funny is both trucks will go more places than 99% of the users that have them will take them.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Lets put the same money in the other vehicles....and the ranger would be last place or close to it. I can tell you have never been in anything more capable than a ranger. The rubi gladiator and ZR2 will walk the ranger offroad stock for stock.....mod for mod. It wouldn't even be a competition. Ranger lacks several things but the two main things are suspension travel and mechanical grip via a front locker......those two things make a huge huge difference
I can buy into the Gladiator....but not the ZR2. I will say chevy's 4x4 system is very good! I had a 2001 ZR2 and it was a beast! I pulled many a full sized truck out of the muck along the eroded beaches of the southeast Texas coast around High Island. I have done nothing more than "light" off-roading in my Ranger and can tell it would be great if I put some money into the suspension. Anyway...as always IMHO.

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
That seems to be the biggest thing most people who argue about this forget. I think we can agree that the ZR2 and Gladiator are more capable on paper. But (1) does that transfer to the real world, and (2) is that extra capability really needed? Is there a real-world trail somewhere that those two trucks would be able to traverse that a Tremor Ranger wouldn't? That being said, there is something to "feeling" more comfortable, to being overprepared for the conditions. I do that in almost every aspect of my life. My truck is full of safety and survival gear that will probably (hopefully) never get used. But I'm happy I spent the extra money to bring it with.

I don't have the answers, just piggybacking on @RVA Overland's comment.
Having had a ZR2 and now a ranger. The ZR2 is miles better offroad. Especially when rock crawling. The two biggest advantages the ZR2 has is suspension travel and front locker.

The advantage on the ranger side is the crawl ratio, it's much better. Everything works pretty well together on the ranger, it's just the lack of travel and the horrible shocks. Unfortunately for the ranger it gets pricey getting the equivalent amount of travel that the other mid size trucks have.

At the end of the day if you can't keep your tires on the ground then it's harder to keep moving forward.

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I can buy into the Gladiator....but not the ZR2. I will say chevy's 4x4 system is very good! I had a 2001 ZR2 and it was a beast! I pulled many a full sized truck out of the muck along the eroded beaches of the southeast Texas coast around High Island. I have done nothing more than "light" off-roading in my Ranger and can tell it would be great if I put some money into the suspension. Anyway...as always IMHO.
Your 2001 ZR2 is nothing compared to the new ones. I'm not bashing the ranger but I'm also not stupid. I've had a 3rd gen taco trd, 2018 ZR2 and a jeep rubicon (several actually)....and the rangers closest competitor is the taco, the others out wheel it easily. I know because I've used them all on the same trails

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Your 2001 ZR2 is nothing compared to the new ones. I'm not bashing the ranger but I'm also not stupid. I've had a 3rd gen taco trd, 2018 ZR2 and a jeep rubicon (several actually)....and the rangers closest competitor is the taco, the others out wheel it easily. I know because I've used them all on the same trails
Sure can't compete with experience! Thank you for the information.....

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I can buy into the Gladiator....but not the ZR2.
The Gladiator is actually not a Jeep. Not in the sense most people expect. It's a Dodge Dakota or other Mid Size Truck that they branded with Jeep Features / Body. It doesn't have the pedigree. And only about 80% of the parts are swappable.

Is a Jeep Wrangler more capable than a Ranger? Sure - Hands down. No contest.
Is an FCA Gladiator more capable than a ranger? Yes but barely.
And what about the Mojave Edition? I have seen no reviews of that thing yet.

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
The Gladiator is actually not a Jeep. Not in the sense most people expect. It's a Dodge Dakota or other Mid Size Truck that they branded with Jeep Features / Body. It doesn't have the pedigree. And only about 80% of the parts are swappable.

Is a Jeep Wrangler more capable than a Ranger? Sure - Hands down. No contest.
Is an FCA Gladiator more capable than a ranger? Yes but barely.
And what about the Mojave Edition? I have seen no reviews of that thing yet.
The Gladiator is a jeep through and through. It's based off of the wrangler. You're just flat wrong about the gladiator underpinnings ??

Sure it's got a different frame but it's built that way so it can carry/tow twice as much as a wrangler. I would also like to see the dodge dakota that it's based on? I mean they stopped making the dakota in what 2011.

Last edited:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
On a serious note, After a decent amount of time off road with my truck I feel it is very capable. My tuck is stock besides a tune, leveling kit, and 265/70 General Grabber tires. I wound up in some nasty mud/clay on my property once and figured I’d need my tractor to get it out. I decided to give it a try, just to have some fun, and no tractor needed.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yup, as has been said before .... If you know what you're doing, this Ranger Truck is pretty remarkable as what it'll do with even the basic configuration.

I have no doubt that my Ranger can handle anything I'm tempted to throw at it.
But, to be honest, I also have a tow bag in case I get stuck!

So, stop worrying, and enjoy your truck!

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy

However the argument of " let me throw 20k at something but you keep yours stock so mine will better" argument is dumb. It's just silly....... you need a fair amount of money just to get the ranger to articulate to the levels of a ZR2 or gladiator. You're looking at ~6k (not including install) for that and then add another 2k for locker and installation. So you can spend ~50-55k to be as capable as a bone stock ZR2?

That logic works on anything. With enough money you can make anything badass. I mean, why not buy a 96 ford ranger for like 2k and throw 50-55k at......what would that do? It's just an endless argument
Yeah the ZR2 might be marginally better stock for stock when you actually do use your front locker (not often), but I bet it won't go more places than a ranger when your little duramax goes into limp mode ? ask how I know.
Sponsored