Where to run power and speaker connections for Kicker Hideaway speaker

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
I have the under-seat sub enclosure from Australia on the way as well. Once that arrives, I will take it by one of the local shops to determine what sub woofer is going to fit. For that I will have to pull power to the amp. I will post pictures of the full setup once I get it finished.
Let us know the cost for shipping and customs. That has been my only hang up, I wasn't sure how much customs would charge once it gets to the US.
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know the cost for shipping and customs. That has been my only hang up, I wasn't sure how much customs would charge once it gets to the US.
Customs doesn't send you a bill, you pay whatever you paid eBay plus shipping...

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
$174.28
$174.28 USD was the final total, including shipping and exchange rate.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Customs doesn't send you a bill, you pay whatever you paid eBay plus shipping...
Maybe it's changed, or depends on the item. I have had to pay an import tax for a package once it got to the US. This was after I paid for shipping. I had to pay it before I could have the package delivered. That is the reason they lie on the declaration form to say it was a gift or less money so you dont have to pay any additional taxes.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases
"If any duty is owed, CBP will charge a processing fee for clearing your package. Duty and the processing fee are usually paid at your local post office, where your package is forwarded. "

Last edited:
OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
@DriverA have you installed everything yet? If so, I am curious how it is all working?

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
@DriverA have you installed everything yet? If so, I am curious how it is all working?
I know I'm not @DriverA but I installed this Australian sub enclosure along with a Kicker Key 500.1 and it sounds great after I stuffed the box with some Polyfill because my sub needed a min if .8cu ft and the box is roughly .6cu ft. I have been meaning on doing a write up on the install but haven't had a chance yet.

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I installed the hideway although I did upgrade the headunit as well. All my wiring for the hideaway and the other amp are through the grommet on the driver side. The wires for the hideaway are along the driver side under the plastics. I assisted my friend thats an installer and it was all fairly easy to access and install.

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
How are you guys getting around the artificial engine noise?? I wanted to get the LC2 module, but I'm worried my sub is going to have engine noise through it.

gasmanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector
I haven't heard it at all in mine. I can't be the only one. Am I just lucky?

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

Finally able to followup.

First, I did not pay any extra customs charges for the Aussie under seat box I bought off ebay.

The Kicker Key 180.4 has been replaced with a new designation the Kicker Key 200.4
It fits nicely above the glove box, tucked away inside the dash. There is a steel bar, with holes that match up perfect for mounting the small amp with the help of a small peice of wood.

The door speakers and tweeters, I replaced with PowerBass OE65C-FD components for the front doors, and the PowerBass OE652-FD 2-way for the rear doors. They are direct factory replacements, though I did have to add cutomized (cut to fit) Stinger Roadkill RKFR6 FAST Rings to fill some space between the rear door panels and the speakers. I also had to use a step bit to drill 2 holes for the rear door speaker wires to pass through. A little touch up paint, and a couple rubber grommets and it looks like it came that way from the factory.

The sub amp is a Rockford Fosgate Punch P300X1 300w single channel aplifier. For mounting the amp, I pulled back the carpet and gorilla glued a peice of 3/8 plywood to the rear cab. Once that dried, I put the carpet back in place and used some short stainless screws to mount the amp.

For the sub, I ended up going with a Kicker CompVR 43CVR102, the rubber bezle around the magnet had to be removed in order to fit inside the sub box. I did also line the inside of the sub usning spray glue with 2 layers of Poly Fil Extra Loft Quilt Batting.

The bass knob fits nicely in the fuse panel, where it does not get in the way at all.

With the seat closed and locked into position, you would never know any of it is there until you turn up the volume. It's not going to rattle anyone's windows, but it is well more than enough for you to feel the bass.

I will end up re-carpeting the sub box as I am not very pleased with the quality of the covering itself.

Enough said, now for some pics.

20200516_142451.jpg

20200621_130916.jpg

20200621_130944.jpg

20200626_144115.jpg

20200626_140809.jpg

20200626_140727.jpg

Last edited:

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Total investment is about $1100 for the harness, line converter, 2 amps, 4 door speakers plus dome tweeters, sub and enclosure. I could have shaved about $100 off the total by going without the LC2i line converter since the amp I chose has the capability for high level inputs.

For the price, I am Very pleased with the results. The system sounds fantastic playing anything from Ozzy's Boneyard to Bass Mechanic on Pandora and everything in between. It was worth every penny!

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Has anyone located a good pass thru in the firewall to get some amplifier wires from the battery to the rear seat ? Pics of location access of possible
You can't really see from the pictures but there is a rubber plug on the firewall just behind the brake line manifold. There is also one in the same place on the passenger side that I pictured earlier.

20200626_145336.jpg

20200626_145347.jpg

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
You can't really see from the pictures but there is a rubber plug on the firewall just behind the brake line manifold. There is also one in the same place on the passenger side that I pictured earlier.

20200626_145336.jpg

20200626_145347.jpg
Also an access point on passenger side as well.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
@DriverA thanks for the detailed write-up. Looks really good. Glad to hear the Powebass speakers sound good. I don't know why, but I was worried about the quality and sound from them would not be much better than OEM. Maybe it's because they do not seem like a flashy name brand ?

I checked out the "new" Kicker Key200.4 and it seems like the same as the 180.4 except for 20 extra watts, which probably is not noticeable. Plugnplaykits is still selling the 180.4 and said they are the same other than the new one cost more. Any thoughts on that? I think I could wire up a kit like he is selling myself since I think I have all the tools, but something to be said for being plug and play.

THanks!
Sponsored