Wheels spacers, are they really that bad?

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger Lariat Tech Pkg Tremor
Here’s my 2cents.
I mounted 1” spacers on stock wheels with 265/75/18 Michelin tires. Perfect setup and appearance for my use.

Issues, Tire Discounters had the best price on my tires, and mounted them with the spacers in place, at that time they never noticed or mentioned the spacers. They also aligned it.

5k later I go in for a R&B and even though they did the job they said they won’t be able to next time. They also mentioned ball joint movement, I jacked it up myself and felt none.

10k later went to another store and the previous store made a note in my account, refused to R&B because of spacers mounted.

15k later I rotated myself and notice slight inside tire wear. Checking on alignment quotes three shops mentioned they won’t align if spacers are added.

So I decided to remove them. Immediately noticed the truck felt a bit more nimble. Over time the lack of added width and appearance was unnoticeable.

Your local shops may not have “issues” but it wasn’t worth the hassle for me.
LOL I would find another shop seems like total BS to me.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Believe it or not many shops will not Touch a vehicle if there are wheel spacers on there. A big part of it is simply not wanting to have liability put on them for when a wheel falls off. The other part is many states and cities and counties have laws against them.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Just another reason why it's worth developing a relationship with a quality independent mechanic rather than relying on dealers or chains. Quality and care will be off the chart when you find the right one.

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not many shops will not Touch a vehicle if there are wheel spacers on there. A big part of it is simply not wanting to have liability put on them for when a wheel falls off. The other part is many states and cities and counties have laws against them.
No problems here. I have been to Discount Tire and Eagle Tire and Service to get tires and rotate with my F150 with wheel spacers. They said if you did not have the bolt on's they would have an issue other wise good to go. The only thing Eagle Tire told me they are down the street is they would like to have them red locked tite on. I said no blue is fine and they said ok... That was when I brought them some brake rotors and pads to replace for me. One of my lazy times. I usually do that myself. LOL

I guess your shops are scared of there own shadow. LOL

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
The fact that no shop wants to have the liability of a wheel falling off because of a spacer. It's just too much hassle
Like I mentioned, my Ford dealer doesn't say anything about it, have had the spacers on at least 2yrs now.

Nothing wrong with good spacers, cheap ones with cheap hardware, yeah those can cause issues in a truck especially.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Well, it’s not stock and then there are those people who add more than one spacer. They don’t want the liability and risk so it’s up them to make their rules.
Some shops won’t do alignment’s on lifted trucks either.
As mentioned, you have to find a shop that will and most likely you’ll sign a waiver to relieve them of responsibility.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
20230518_155928.jpg
Like I mentioned, my Ford dealer doesn't say anything about it, have had the spacers on at least 2yrs now.

Nothing wrong with good spacers, cheap ones with cheap hardware, yeah those can cause issues in a truck especially.
Spacers are okay....Don't cheap out, use high quality Billet spacers...( aka Faction Fab)....Keep width reasonable ,,1.0 - 1.5" ..
Install properly...use a little antiseize, and Red Loc-Tite ...Torque to specs (110 ft lbs)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
20230518_155928.jpg

Spacers are okay....Don't cheap out, use high quality Billet spacers...( aka Faction Fab)....Keep width reasonable ,,1.0 - 1.5" ..
Install properly...use a little antiseize, and Red Loc-Tite ...Torque to specs (110 ft lbs)
Please explain to me how you're going to install those spacers properly when you have no way to hold the wheel especially if you have no way to hold the brake pedal. There's no way you're going to torque those down correctly if you cannot hold the wheel In place.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
Please explain to me how you're going to install those spacers properly when you have no way to hold the wheel especially if you have no way to hold the brake pedal. There's no way you're going to torque those down correctly if you cannot hold the wheel In place.
A short screw driver in the rotor edge/ cooling fins against the caliper assembly, allows you to get the torque with out the hub spinning....for us elderly folk a 1/2" drive long handle torque wrench is the preferred tool for getting 110 ft lbs without hurting oneself. ...💀...

Frenchy you suprise me...with your experience in auto repairs , I'd figure you knew that trick....Thanks for bringing it up though so we can share this little tip
with the 5G DIY'ers...

Last edited:

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it’s not stock and then there are those people who add more than one spacer. They don’t want the liability and risk so it’s up them to make their rules.
Some shops won’t do alignment’s on lifted trucks either.
As mentioned, you have to find a shop that will and most likely you’ll sign a waiver to relieve them of responsibility.
Never had to sign anything and like I said the only ones that even said something was Eagle Tire and wanting to use red locktite. Discount Tire would put new tires on and rotate and not blink an eye. I don't plan on ever using wheel spacers again anyway and I am not doing anything to this truck as I'm not keeping it.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Never had to sign anything and like I said the only ones that even said something was Eagle Tire and wanting to use red locktite. Discount Tire would put new tires on and rotate and not blink an eye. I don't plan on ever using wheel spacers again anyway and I am not doing anything to this truck as I'm not keeping it.
So you have no dog in this fight, just opinions. Ok.

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
I would never use wheel spacers, either in my shop or on my own vehicle. But I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there saying "I've been using spacers for 30 years and I've never had a problem!" And that's fine too, until something happens.

kendive

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you have no dog in this fight, just opinions. Ok.
Just Facts... Wow this place is a trip :(

Would you like the phone number to places I use. You are welcome to call and ask if you are not a believer. LOL

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
A short screw driver in the rotor edge/ cooling fins against the caliper assembly, allows you to get the torque with out the hub spinning....for us elderly folk a 1/2" drive long handle torque wrench is the preferred tool for getting 110 ft lbs without hurting oneself. ...💀...

Frenchy you suprise me...with your experience in auto repairs , I'd figure you knew that trick....Thanks for bringing it up though so we can share this little tip
with the 5G DIY'ers...
A 2x4 on the seat to the brake pedal works too.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm debating what size wheel spacers to put on my Ranger, 1 or 1.5 inch. I have the Fox Ford 2.0 lift and am currently running 255/75R 17 tires but would like a wider looking stance. Some two track roads to hunting camp is about it for me, not serious off roading. Thoughts and pictures anyone?
Sponsored