Wheel Spacers... safe?

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
Hello All,

I'm going to be the first to admit that I don't know a whole ton about mechanics and specs. I'm looking for a bigger tire for the stock 17" wheels that came with my Ranger XLT with the Sport appearance. Will I need wheel spacers? If so, are wheel spacers safe to use?

Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
Spacers are fine as long as you get well made hubcentric ones spec to ford trq ratings and check them often to ensure they are tight.

will you need them? No if you are planing to just go to 265/70/17 on OEM but if you want to go bigger id personally get better offset lighter wheels, you don’t want too much weight on the hubs etc but that’s just my personal take.

also worth noting u would most likely have to do some cutting or removal of the crash bars and a lift on anything over the above sizing.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

I'm going to be the first to admit that I don't know a whole ton about mechanics and specs. I'm looking for a bigger tire for the stock 17" wheels that came with my Ranger XLT with the Sport appearance. Will I need wheel spacers? If so, are wheel spacers safe to use?

Thanks ahead of time.
3 thousand miles on my 1.25" spacer and all is well...the spacers needs to be red loctite to the hub (100ft/lbs)...mine are actually for TACO which have the same thread/lug pattern so they are NOT hubcentric...because of 6 lugs, it is lugcentric...and it's all AOK...I didn't know at the time but when I installed my Fuel wheels 50,000 miles ago, they were not hubcentric either...proving that if lugs are torqued properly in star pattern, it will center just fine...

I believe spacers are safe with caveat...I drive like a grandma with occasional lead foot ?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Spacers are fine as long as you get well made hubcentric ones spec to ford trq ratings and check them often to ensure they are tight.

will you need them? No if you are planing to just go to 265/70/17 on OEM but if you want to go bigger id personally get better offset lighter wheels, you don’t want too much weight on the hubs etc but that’s just my personal take.

also worth noting u would most likely have to do some cutting or removal of the crash bars and a lift on anything over the above sizing.
I'm thinking about some quarter inch spacers now. By my calculations that will make a slight difference when I go 265/70/17.

But the Quarter Inchers are bolt THROUGH not bolt ON. Same concerns still apply? Will I need longer lugs?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about some quarter inch spacers now. By my calculations that will make a slight difference when I go 265/70/17.

But the Quarter Inchers are bolt THROUGH not bolt ON. Same concerns still apply? Will I need longer lugs?
1/4"...no you don't need longer studs

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
1. American Made

2. Hubcentric

3. T6 (or better) Aluminum CNC machined out of a single block

4. Grade 8 (or better) pressed studs

5. Red Locktite (and re-check after first 50 miles or so)

Quality spacers cost money. If you can get a set of four on eBay for $60 then steer clear. I would say $150'ish (for 1.25 to 2.00) is the minimum price point to get the above requirements. You don't have to get BORA to get quality, however if you have the cash by all means.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s what can happen if you don’t do it right. I see these crashes almost every week on my job. This guy had 2” spacers and monster heavy tires. Wheel failed on highway but luckily he didn’t crash into anyone else.
9C0B574B-276E-43B3-93B6-376D2C6CF726.jpeg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s what can happen if you don’t do it right. I see these crashes almost every week on my job. This guy had 2” spacers and monster heavy tires. Wheel failed on highway but luckily he didn’t crash into anyone else.
Trooper or wrecker? I'll hold back my memes since I don't know. haha

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
3 thousand miles on my 1.25" spacer and all is well...the spacers needs to be red loctite to the hub (100ft/lbs)...mine are actually for TACO which have the same thread/lug pattern so they are NOT hubcentric...because of 6 lugs, it is lugcentric...and it's all AOK...I didn't know at the time but when I installed my Fuel wheels 50,000 miles ago, they were not hubcentric either...proving that if lugs are torqued properly in star pattern, it will center just fine...

I believe spacers are safe with caveat...I drive like a grandma with occasional lead foot ?
Are these spacers with stock wheels? If yes, hows the fit? I'm looking to space my stock wheesl out to a more flush look and I don't know what size to get.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are these spacers with stock wheels? If yes, hows the fit? I'm looking to space my stock wheesl out to a more flush look and I don't know what size to get.
No they're not...they're mounted with +20 offset wheels and I have 2" fender flares...in light of this, I don't know how to advise your fitment =(

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
No they're not...they're mounted with +20 offset wheels and I have 2" fender flares...in light of this, I don't know how to advise your fitment =(
No problem, thanks.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I recently installed the Fabtech 1” Hubcentric spacers on my 2019 Lariat with stock 18” wheels and a 2.25” lift. Zero issues so far. I followed the manufactures directions. Blue Loctite 100lb torque. All is good.
Sponsored