Whats the secret to depressing the rear caliper pistons?

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
So....

Driver's side piston... Clockwise?

Passenger's side piston... Counterclockwise?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So....

On the transit yes...... Other Ford Vehicles? Possibly.....

Another better idea from Ford......

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
On the transit yes...... Other Ford Vehicles? Possibly.....

Another better idea from Ford......
That's why I usually look for a video of someone else doing the job before I attempt it if I hadn't done it before. It reduces the trial an error process. I'm not saying the video shows someone that knows what their doing but it usually helps.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I had the "cube" tool from my 1991 sho, recall one side malfunctioned and dragged, got rid of the tool as any car I've owned or worked on since had the disc/drum setup in the rear, the emergency brake on that setup can be adjusted with a screwdriver. Do a lot of newer vehicles use the screw type pistons in the rear? I thought many makers went to the disc/drum owing to better reliability. I see a cube tool is available at wally mart for $5, what a deal. But good to know about the rear setup.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I had the "cube" tool from my 1991 sho, recall one side malfunctioned and dragged, got rid of the tool as any car I've owned or worked on since had the disc/drum setup in the rear, the emergency brake on that setup can be adjusted with a screwdriver. Do a lot of newer vehicles use the screw type pistons in the rear? I thought many makers went to the disc/drum owing to better reliability. I see a cube tool is available at wally mart for $5, what a deal. But good to know about the rear setup.
I haven't had to do the Ranger yet. But I borrowed one of those cube tools from the dairy's mechanic for my FiST. It did the job with no fuss. I'd imagine they'd work well on the Ranger too.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
I haven't had to do the Ranger yet. But I borrowed one of those cube tools from the dairy's mechanic for my FiST. It did the job with no fuss. I'd imagine they'd work well on the Ranger too.
I’m curious as well to see if the cube I have will work on the Rangers rear brakes when the time comes to do them

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I got the bastards In, finally.

Used the cube. It's just a pain in the ass, I needed to crack the bleeders nearly wide open to get them to depress then re-bleed.

I'll say it again... I really really miss when pistons could just be pushed straight in. Ugh.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Used the cube. It's just a pain in the ass, I needed to crack the bleeders nearly wide open to get them to depress then re-bleed.

I'll say it again... I really really miss when pistons could just be pushed straight in. Ugh.
Don't know for sure but I believe straight pisons are used on many vehicles, those that use a disc/drum setup in the rear, the so called "hat" has a brake shoes in it, I know I experienced piston malfunction and brake sticking on a 1986 Saab and a 1991 Taurus SHO , hopefully there have been improvements. And yeah I recall using that cube to be a pia.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Don't know for sure but I believe straight pisons are used on many vehicles, those that use a disc/drum setup in the rear, the so called "hat" has a brake shoes in it, I know I experienced piston malfunction and brake sticking on a 1986 Saab and a 1991 Taurus SHO , hopefully there have been improvements. And yeah I recall using that cube to be a pia.

My last ranger was a 2010 and the rears were that disc/drum setup. I remember doing pads/rotors on all 4 corners of that truck the last year I had it and it took me less time than doing just rear pads on this one lol. I'd much prefer if these new trucks used that same setup.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I did my ranger with the same harbor freight kit, but can't remember how I did the reverse side. I think I must have used a pair of pliers to push the piston in while turning. Bent the handle on mine too, quality steel in that stuff...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So....

Depends if your vehicle is operated in the northern or southern hemisphere.............

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
I did my ranger with the same harbor freight kit, but can't remember how I did the reverse side. I think I must have used a pair of pliers to push the piston in while turning. Bent the handle on mine too, quality steel in that stuff...
you can use a adj wrench on the nut on the tool and keep tighting the nut to push,

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru

how far did they go in ?