Whats the secret to depressing the rear caliper pistons?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Attempted a padslap today, and could NOT for the life of me get the pistons to depress.

I have the stupid spinny piston depresser tool.... and really folded it up in a fit of "I'm a total gorilla, WTF" rage trying to spin the damn thing in lol.

20230322_180217.jpg

What's the secret? Either I'm missing something extremely stupid because I was in a super rush and don't operate that well under time deadlines.. or the calipers just jacked.

My money is on missing something stupid. This is the first vehicle I've personally owned with these stupid spin-to-depress rear calipers.. forgive me. Or make fun of me... I deserve a bit of both no doubt.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
You need a tool, one turns in clockwise and the other one is counter clockwise.

Ah.

So the hazard fraught kit I bought is completely useless for one side of the vehicle then lol, it'll only depress if its wound clockwise ?

Considering the drivers side would NOT spin clockwise for me I can only assume that one needs to go counter-clockwise then..

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Ah.

So the hazard fraught kit I bought is completely useless for one side of the vehicle then lol, it'll only depress if its wound clockwise ?

Considering the drivers side would NOT spin clockwise for me I can only assume that one needs to go counter-clockwise then..
Unfortunately yes

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Unfortunately yes
Thank you. Anger subsiding, hope that I can finish this stupid job tomorrow morning before it starts to rain.. growing.

Leave it to Harbour Freight to sell a one sided caliper tool.:crackup:
Ha tell me about it. Probably my first 'dud' of a tool I've bought there over the years though.. Can't win em all.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Parts stores will rent this tool for free FYI. I did this when I changed brakes on my Wife's ford Flex
I'm just gonna suck it up and buy one that actually works tomorrow.

I'm a big fan of owning all the tools I need, even if some of them only get used once every few years.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'm relatively sure I might mail harbor freight one of my poops for this.

?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀

I miss old junk where you could push the piston straight in with a goddamn jackhammer and call it a day..

Who's idea were these spinny pistons? And why? Mabey they'll get the poop instead. They started this whole mess after all..

Thank you everyone for the help.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I'm relatively sure I might mail harbor freight one of my poops for this.

?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀?‍♀

I miss old junk where you could push the piston straight in with a goddamn jackhammer and call it a day..

Who's idea were these spinny pistons? And why? Mabey they'll get the poop instead. They started this whole mess after all..

Thank you everyone for the help.
Sadly, gone are the days of the big ass C-clamp. :(

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly, gone are the days of the big ass C-clamp. :(
Hi Duke,

I ran into this on an old GM 1981 X car where the caliper screwed in but you had a slot in the piston where a square shank screwdriver would work. What a pain but no dowl pins to worry about. Trying to help out my favorite Server at my favorite Mexican Restaurant who did not have two nickles to rub together and could not afford a brake job on her car. Got a free meal out of the deal.

Best,
Phil

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I'm a big fan of owning all the tools I need, even if some of them only get used once every few years.
This.
Sponsored