TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Hey All -

Ever wonder why all our trucks have the exhaust go out the side and not straight back to under the back bumper? I mean I have the stainless steel R dual pipes .. loos beautiful but any rhythm and rhyme to why we don’t have it just come out the back?

Wouldn’t it be easier for us to mod, bigger pipes, etc if it came out the back and look more natural .. than the side structure?

Just wanted thoughts ?
Sponsored

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Oh yes. Much better. It's worth the upgrade over stock.
as far as audible differences goes - is it louder? I know this is purely subjective but if you can compare it to the stock sound what would the difference be?

Reactions: Doc

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hey All -

Ever wonder why all our trucks have the exhaust go out the side and not straight back to under the back bumper? I mean I have the stainless steel R dual pipes .. loos beautiful but any rhythm and rhyme to why we don’t have it just come out the back?

Wouldn’t it be easier for us to mod, bigger pipes, etc if it came out the back and look more natural .. than the side structure?

Just wanted thoughts ?
Huh?
Sorry, I got distracted by your avatar....did you say something?

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
as far as audible differences goes - is it louder? I know this is purely subjective but if you can compare it to the stock sound what would the difference be?
It's a little louder over stock. But not loud enough to disturb your neighbors at 2 am.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All -

Just wanted thoughts ?
Hey Mack,

Routing it out the back would lower the departure angle and create more opportunities for the exhaust to be damaged. Sure, you can tuck them up under there pretty good but that just might be too close for comfort in Ford’s eyes. Or, it’s simply cheaper.

FerdRanger

First Name
Ferdinand the Great
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
not for long
side exit exhaust has less chance of packing with snow when backing up through snow banks...
doesn't fill garage up with fumes when I back into the driveway... that's all I got.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Maybe @P. A. Schilke can straighten this out, but one reason for side discharge exhaust is that there is a negative pressure area behind flat back vehicles like pickups, hatchbacks, station wagons etc. CO can enter the rear area where your pet or passengers may be riding. Discharging the exhaust out to the side instantly defuses any Carbon Monoxide.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe @P. A. Schilke can straighten this out, but one reason for side discharge exhaust is that there is a negative pressure area behind flat back vehicles like pickups, hatchbacks, station wagons etc. CO can enter the rear area where your pet or passengers may be riding. Discharging the exhaust out to the side instantly defuses any Carbon Monoxide.
Thank you Phil I thought everyone knew that but apparently not.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chris,

One of the reasons it just tradition... But as you stated is discharge of exhaust. Also package reasons...it is easier to package than out the back with different bumpers etc. It is less likely for the outlet to be damaged when it is near the tire.

In 1996, the year of the Clean Sheet of Paper all new F Series, the program (SLA front suspension ILO twin I beam) tried to save a few sheckles by having the outlet in front of the rear wheel, which eliminated the kick up over the rear axle... Turned into a disaster and a redesign after customer complaints of right wheel soot and some sort of green gook from some fuel blends. So, once again...the program saved money to achieve their affordable targets and coveted bonuses, but actually cost the program more money down the road with a redesign for behind the wheel discharge for production and retrofit for complaint 1996 F series vehicle...

Best,
Phil

Cohnhead'73

First Name
Gooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Lariat, '23 Chrysler 300, '13 FiestaSE
Occupation
Retired: Ford Motor Co
That's interesting Phil. I love to hear your behind the scenes stories.
My first truck was the new design '96/97 F150. I thought it was odd placement of the exhaust. It never caused any problems.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hey Mack,

Routing it out the back would lower the departure angle and create more opportunities for the exhaust to be damaged. Sure, you can tuck them up under there pretty good but that just might be too close for comfort in Ford’s eyes. Or, it’s simply cheaper.
This ^. I rather have mine where it's at.