First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
1988 Ford Festiva LX (HA!). Bought it brand new from the dealer, my first new car and first car payment. 5 speed manual transmission (so you could drive it fast to where you were going then hide it). Drove that on the factory clutch for 121K miles until I sold it to a co worker who put new exhaust and brakes on it - his daughter drove it cross country on the original clutch, finally died at 310K miles.

I once got a ticket in it; happened to be in an area of SW Chicago known for speedtraps. I was 21, got traffic safety school in lieu of reporting it against my license. In class, instructor asked everyone what they did, why they were there. He gets to me:

Me: Speeding ticket, Willow Springs on Archer Avenue. (lots of "oh yeahs" from the class)
I: That sucks. How fast were you going?
Me: 78 in a 55.
I: Damn, they got you. What kind of car?
Me: Ford Festiva, stick shift (most of the class laughing)
I: YOU GOT A FORD FESTIVA TO GO 78MPH? They should've let you go and called the newspaper!!

Never had any issues with the car. Never got stuck in the snow (and if it did, I could push it myself). 47 MPG on the Chicago freeways.
My first Ford daily driver that was actually mine was also a Festiva, but a 1993. Used to joke that it had Mickey's Mini Donuts for wheels. A brake job took me about 20 minutes, tops - but mostly because the drums in back did pretty much nothing except hold the car in place when it was parked. Oh, and the front pads were maybe 2 inch squares each.

I really liked that car, it was an interesting mix of Ford and Mazda 323. I think my favorite feature though was the pop-out rear quarter windows. And the incredible headroom. My now-wife and I had planned a picnic at the sea but it started raining. So we just sat in the cargo area with the rear seat flipped down, and ate there. It was surprisingly comfortable, really.

Also, to get great cabin airflow, all it took was pulling the seat recline, leaning back and flipping the clasp for each pop-out rear quarter window.

It was the perfect city car & that's where we were living at the time. We sold it to a guy who wanted it for his elderly father who "could do too much damage with his Cadillac". Two weeks later we saw him drive by and it looked like it had been through a demolition derby and lost.

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
This ranger haha. I dont have brand loyalty so ill drive whatever looks/feels nice at the time that fits my lifestyle. So i drove a honda, toyota, volkswagen, kia so far. With that said, i will refuse to buy a brand if it fails me.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
1969 Galaxie 500,
that I started driving in 1979.

My first new Ford was a 1980 F 100.
I grew up on LTD's & Lincoln Marks, so I get this reference.

(the Galaxie 500 LTD became just the LTD. And sadly later, the LTD II)

My favorite was a '78 LTD sedan, Ford's attempt to make a "lightweight" sedan but with a 6.7L V8.
After swapping out the carb I could watch the gas gauge fall as I went up a steep mountain at 70 mph.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
1976 Gran Torino, built a 351 windsor out of a 69 Mustang and swapped it. I have only owned Ford, GM, or Jeep.
Ahh Starsky and Hutch . My friends called them Husky and Starch .

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer, 351W, alpine green. It was my dad's, but I drove it as my daily in high school. Learned how to drive in it. I still have it, but the engine is currently out due to the #5 piston giving up the ghost.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
My first Ford was also my first car, though it's a stretch to call it a 'daily driver.' I turned 16 and bought a 1971 Mustang coupe and still have it, and still love it. Though sadly it's in about the same condition today as it was back in 1996. I drove it all through high school when it ran and it was FAST.

It was mostly reliable, but did leave me on the side of the road a few times... most notably on my way home from school. I looked up just in time to watch the school bu bus drive by as my sister just watched and waived through the back window. Its ok, it'll run again and I shall have my revenge! Thinking maybe donuts in her front yard at midnight. :bandit: ??