What to do after installing larger tires ?

Zims4x4

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Forged Green
Installed Fox 2.0 leveling kit and am installing 275/65/R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT and read somewhere I need to do something to correct the speedometer and for shifting. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Installed Fox 2.0 leveling kit and am installing 265/70/R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT and read somewhere I need to do something to correct the speedometer and for shifting. Any help with this would be appreciated.
You'll also want to readjust the headlights if you haven't already.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Installed Fox 2.0 leveling kit and am installing 265/70/R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT and read somewhere I need to do something to correct the speedometer and for shifting. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Not 100% necessary, but I believe it will also have a negative effect on MPGs if not corrected. You can either adjust tire size with a full tuner or a speedometer calibrator. Both options I looked at used the revolutions/ mile spec to adjust. I ended up just using a full tune. I figured spend a little more get a little more.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
With your tire size, your speedo will be out by about 6%-7%. Re-calibrate your speedometer or your indicated speed and recorded mpg will be off.

Your tire size is larger than dealers will re-calibrate for. You’ll need a re-calibration tool like HyperTech or a performance tune that has this feature. You can also do it in Forscan. I don’t think it affects your shifting and you don’t have to worry about it.

Also get a wheel alignment and re-aim your headlights - the manual covers the re-aim and it’s dead easy. If you have ACC, it’s likely fine, as is your lane keeping and collision avoidance system. Your fog lights might need a tweak but that’s secondary.

OP
OP
Zims4x4

Zims4x4

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the help,Getting the alignment done tomorrow when they install the tires but have never used Forscan. Not sure what to get.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
OP
OP
Zims4x4

Zims4x4

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ouch

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
updated photo
IMG_9643.jpeg
Looks sharp. Any chance you could take a pic down the side of the truck? I'm considering something similar....but probably 285/65. Mine's not leveled, but I'm probably going to add Bilstein's or Rancho's all the way around and lift the front slightly at the same time that I get the tires. I have a feeling it will feel like a different truck!

How do those tires feel compared to the smaller (stock?) tires?

OP
OP
Zims4x4

Zims4x4

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you , i'll send a photo of the side, i am looking to add a small spacer like a 1/2" as its pretty close to the guts. As far as the ride is concerns the Fox kit has made the ride great. A lot better than stock.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Looks sharp. Any chance you could take a pic down the side of the truck? I'm considering something similar....but probably 285/65. Mine's not leveled, but I'm probably going to add Bilstein's or Rancho's all the way around and lift the front slightly at the same time that I get the tires. I have a feeling it will feel like a different truck!

How do those tires feel compared to the smaller (stock?) tires?
I would not recommend Rancho... they tend to rust the moment they come out of the box, and they don't ride nice. I've never heard anything good about the ride on Rancho shocks... Go bilstein if you're trying to stay on the more budget side, but I'll echo @Zims4x4 in that the Fox kit rides beautifully.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I would not recommend Rancho... they tend to rust the moment they come out of the box, and they don't ride nice. I've never heard anything good about the ride on Rancho shocks... Go bilstein if you're trying to stay on the more budget side, but I'll echo @Zims4x4 in that the Fox kit rides beautifully.
I've not heard or seen many people here recommend them, but I spoke to a Ranger owner this summer who highly recommended them and preferred them over the Billsteins.

But in the meantime, I just watched a video from an online retailer (Shock Surplus maybe?) who reviewed all of them in depth which made me change my mind to Eibach.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I've not heard or seen many people here recommend them, but I spoke to a Ranger owner this summer who highly recommended them and preferred them over the Billsteins.

But in the meantime, I just watched a video from an online retailer (Shock Surplus maybe?) who reviewed all of them in depth which made me change my mind to Eibach.
I have the Eibach and am very pleased with them.
Sponsored