What drop/hitch are you using with your Tremor?

Mostly Harmless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CG Tremor
I measure my drop with my current trailer to be about 6". Knowing there is a good chance I will potentially tow other trailers I think I want to purchase an adjustable hitch. Anyone have recommendations? What are you currently using?
Sponsored

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger/1992 Ford Mustang
I don't have a tremor, but i have a stock XLT FX4 w/ tow package, I think i'm using a 4" drop. The boat and trailer i've towed sit pretty level. (I have to use a distribution hitch for the trailer).

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I have a stock tremor and use a 5inch drop with the curt hitch for my utility trailer. I've collected a few receiver hitches over the years, but an adjustable one would have been better looking back.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You can get this, or something similar from ETrailer for $85.00. Should cover all your needs for standard trailers that do not need a weight distributing set up.

download.png

Last edited:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Just be sure whatever you buy is rated at least for 7500lbs. Some of the cheaper adjustable stuff only goes to 5000lbs. Personally, for the prices today, I'd measure what you need, account for some suspension sag based on tongue weight and buy a fixed height kit. Tongue weight will be a factor in drop needs. I typically measure for unloaded trailer ball height for a level trailer. If it shows 6 inches of drop, I use a 4 inch drop to account for max tongue weight on trailer I'm pulling.

OP
OP
Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CG Tremor
Just be sure whatever you buy is rated at least for 7500lbs. Some of the cheaper adjustable stuff only goes to 5000lbs. Personally, for the prices today, I'd measure what you need, account for some suspension sag based on tongue weight and buy a fixed height kit. Tongue weight will be a factor in drop needs. I typically measure for unloaded trailer ball height for a level trailer. If it shows 6 inches of drop, I use a 4 inch drop to account for max tongue weight on trailer I'm pulling.
I forgot about the sag, good point. I may still get an adjustable hitch has I want some future proofing.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I am still a novice at towing, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have towed a couple of U-Haul trailers recently with my Tremor. U-Haul sold me a 2 inch drop hitch, but I did not like it that much.

Before renting another U-Haul trailer, I bought a Curt RockerBall Cushion Hitch Ball Mount with 5" Drop with Anti-Rattle Pin from Amazon. It has a 7500 lb. rating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083LDQYBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Curt drop hitch was great! The additional drop was much better, and the combination of the anti-rattle pin holding the shank tightly in the receiver and the RockerBall Cushion made the drive much more pleasant. The trailer was more stable, and there was less jerking when accelerating and stopping.

I am attaching two photos of the truck and trailer with the two different drop hitches for reference.

2931.jpg

3500.jpg

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I measure my drop with my current trailer to be about 6". Knowing there is a good chance I will potentially tow other trailers I think I want to purchase an adjustable hitch. Anyone have recommendations? What are you currently using?
Over the years I accumulated a bunch of different drop mounts, so I have one for just about any need from 7" to no drop. I usually throw a few in the back when I am going to rent a trailer, just so I can get really close to optimal. The down side is over the years I also accumulated a BUNCH of balls for convenience to assure I don't have to make field adjustments at the rental yard.

An adjustable mount with the swivel ball selection will likely save you money over time. It also makes fine tuning tongue height a lot less work intensive.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Before renting another U-Haul trailer, I bought a Curt RockerBall Cushion Hitch Ball Mount with 5" Drop with Anti-Rattle Pin from Amazon. It has a 7500 lb. rating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083LDQYBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Curt drop hitch was great! The additional drop was much better, and the combination of the anti-rattle pin holding the shank tightly in the receiver and the RockerBall Cushion made the drive much more pleasant. The trailer was more stable, and there was less jerking when accelerating and stopping.

3500.jpg
Hi Mark.

If you have a moment, please could you tell me the height you measure from the ground to the middle of the hitch ball with you Curt 5" drop hitch (no trailer attached).

Thanks!

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Hi Mark.

If you have a moment, please could you tell me the height you measure from the ground to the middle of the hitch ball with you Curt 5" drop hitch (no trailer attached).

Thanks!
It is about 19.5 inches give or take. This is completely unladen, no passengers, nothing in the bed.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
GEN-Y GH-324 MEGA-Duty Adjustable 7.5" Drop Hitch with GH-031 Dual-Ball, GH-032 Pintle Lock for 2" Receiver - 10,000 LB Towing Capacity - 1,500 LB Tongue Weight https://a.co/d/cuvn68D

I used this to tow a uhaul cross country with my tremor, it had enough drop for the trailer.

Because you never know when you're going to need 10k towing capacity, on the ranger... 😂

And the pintel add on was more expensive, so it's better.

Reality though, was it was the geny hitch I could get before my live across the country. This thing is built like a brick shit house.

I wish it came with a tensioner so it didn't rattle as much. First world problems.

PXL_20230701_163021583.jpg
PXL_20230702_142153840.jpg
PXL_20230702_142144418.jpg
PXL_20230703_160711603.jpg

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Mines not a Tremor, but this hitch is awesome and I want to share. I use a Weigh Safe 6" adjustable drop hitch. It has a built in tongue weight scale that really helps. Before, I was guessing on the position of the load to get 10% tongue weight. That guessing caused bad trailer sway a few times. Since using the built in scale, I can absolutely tell the difference behind the wheel. Towing heavier loads is much more stable having the trailer loaded correctly. It was not cheap, but I highly recommend it if your loading your own trailer.
PXL_20230323_153841041.jpg
PXL_20230331_180432059.jpg
PXL_20230412_174006085.jpg
PXL_20230307_175023212.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: