First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Today I washed a million bugs off the Ranger. Got home from Charleston & Florida yesterday and it was a mess up front, the rest not so bad. I used the one-bucket, wash-it-in-the-sun method but it got the job done. Comments from the trip:

1. "Your mileage may vary" - The trip was 2184 miles round trip, mostly north-south on I-95 or I-81 with a little I-10 in Florida thrown in, plus the backroads. The dash said 25.2 mpg overall but my actual calcs were 23.3 for the 93.86 gallons. Drive time was 35 hours and the math works out to about 62 mph, so you know it was mostly highway. It's flat in FL, right, we were west of Gainesville, near the Gulf with trips to Dunellen and Cedar Key, then the Ranger rested and we toured in a Silverado.

2. The Adaptive Cruise Control is a bit wonky for me. Yes, it works with the ss mesh Mountains 2 Metal lower grill insert, but still I think it is too conservative, and it searches for the right speed too much when tailgating, seems to clunk up and down, not smooth. And if you turn it off, every time you start cruise, you get an annoying warning that ACC is off! Collision avoidance still works, but that too alarms when I'm doing "normal" tailgating :) Lots of idiots out there, traffic backups due to a couple accidents, and just heavy traffic. Waze helps but sometimes there's no avoiding it.

3. Overall the truck drove great, the ride was also very nice. Wife said is was truck-like compared to her Escape, but she was going to say that regardless since she wanted to take her car. I will say I think the transmission seems to clunk around, mainly at lower speeds. Maybe 10 speeds is too many or maybe the trans has issues, or maybe I'm just sensing things that aren't there. I was glad to have the "old man step" and Gator bed cover since the bed was full of stuff. It did rain down there, but nothing really got wet. Did get a bit of sand on the Husky floor liners.

4. Saw more Rangers in FL than we've experienced in PA for some reason. A few Hot Peppers, which was unusual since they only made them in 2019, some White, Rapid Red, Silver, Blue, and a Saber.

5. I'm at a little over 8,259 miles and should do an oil change (I did the first at 3,000).

6. I guess I'll keep it! :thumbsup:

20210412_100737.jpg

20210416_114957.jpg

20210416_142257.jpg

20210416_120231_2.jpg
Right in my neighbor hood ..
Regards
Sponsored

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Right in my neighbor hood ..
Regards
Yeah, Doc...it was 91 when we got there last Tuesday, but our plans to boat down the Suwannee River were canned because it was supposed to rain Friday, so we went to Cedar Key instead (didn't rain anyway). Dinner at Steamers overlooking the bay. Would have gone to the key Saturday but there was an Art Festival scheduled and it would have been crazy. Did some plant shoppin' at Grumbles (nice stuff) and lunched at Swampys. Great Mexican food at Elle Cocina in Trenton and good buffet and tunes outdoors at Putnam Lodge in Shamrock.

It was frikkin' c-c-c-cold here when we got home. Right now, 2 shirts and a pair of LONG pants, plus the forecast is a freeze warning tonight. So sorry we came home ? 2 sisters there in Levy County FL, most people say it's in the middle of nowhere, they are looking for MIckey. But it's called the Nature Coast for a reason, lots of stuff to do IMHO.

20210416_113723 (2).jpg

20210415_184609.jpg

20210414_151244.jpg

20210414_134356 (2).jpg

Skeletor

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Installed Bilstein 6112 struts on the front and Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks on the rear. The truck feels like a totally different truck now. No more jouncing, diving when braking and pretty much no body roll now. Able to take 20mph turn at 50mph without slipping or any oh crap feeling(I am a professional driver and was on a closed course). Set my ring on the 6112's, 3 down to level the front at 2.4" lift on 2wd. Potholes, tight turns, normal driving, high speeds, hills and jumps, everything is so much better now. This is the way the truck should have been from the factory. I highly recommend everyone to change out their shocks and struts to this setup as it is much cheaper than most of the other options out there. Can't go wrong with Bilstein the front struts are significantly larger diameter than stock. Watched a YouTube video for our rangers on the install. Very easy if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Shop rates were $600-$860 with 5 1/2 hour labor quote. I was able to install in 4 hours with a harbour freight spring compressor for the front struts. The rear 5160's were very easy to install.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, Doc...it was 91 when we got there last Tuesday, but our plans to boat down the Suwannee River were canned because it was supposed to rain Friday, so we went to Cedar Key instead (didn't rain anyway). Dinner at Steamers overlooking the bay. Would have gone to the key Saturday but there was an Art Festival scheduled and it would have been crazy. Did some plant shoppin' at Grumbles (nice stuff) and lunched at Swampys. Great Mexican food at Elle Cocina in Trenton and good buffet and tunes outdoors at Putnam Lodge in Shamrock.

It was frikkin' c-c-c-cold here when we got home. Right now, 2 shirts and a pair of LONG pants, plus the forecast is a freeze warning tonight. So sorry we came home ? 2 sisters there in Levy County FL, most people say it's in the middle of nowhere, they are looking for MIckey. But it's called the Nature Coast for a reason, lots of stuff to do IMHO.

20210416_113723 (2).jpg

20210415_184609.jpg

20210414_151244.jpg

20210414_134356 (2).jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I just had to watch that twice.
Me too. The characters in this show are not-so-loosely based on the folks in a certain rural area in mid-western Ontario, here in Canada. As someone from that area, I can tell you, any one of those guys are carbon copies of my cousins and neighbours. And.....

0B679AAF-83A4-4B9F-B799-E81F903A6491.jpeg

BigHen0213

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sales/Management
About 3 months ago, someone backed into me at a local home improvement store. I remember the barely road worthy looking truck and the beat up red flatbed trailer they were towing, because flecks of red paint scraped into the lower part of the front end near the parking sensors. There is some damage (all cosmetic) and of course, they did it when I was inside and took off with no notes or anything. The blue fiberglass near the sensors has been creased, but the sensors are intact.
I hate South Florida drivers and being a northern transplant, I can say it with absolute immunity. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Since my insurance deduct is high and I truly didn't have time, I stockpiled $ to save up and buy the items I needed to fix it myself. I've decided to go ahead and get started, but I ordered the Putco grille insert today so it'll be here next week. Will tackle this in early May once I have everything.

Last edited:

BigHen0213

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Sales/Management
I bought some take off XLT tire to replace my XL steel wheels.
Before
IMG_6559.JPG

After
IMG_6664.JPG
I have an XLT but the standard chrome finish rims. Thanks to this forum I grew envious quite rapidly when I saw the smoke/darkened rims like yours. I've done enough customizing to my truck, but not this...... that these would be my next wish. Maybe when I get new tires in 5K miles.....
Sponsored

Last edited: