First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I have a hopkins wireless camera than hooks up via wifi to an old cell phone. (that way i can leave it connected while towing.) I have it hardwired into the running lights on the trailer. IE the lights on the camera's is on and transmitting.

I have my phone mount so it sits just above the dash below the rearview mirror. so I glance side to side, but also glance toward the rearview mirror and can see the ~30' directly behind and slightly to the sides of the trailer as well. It really helps in backing up as I can tell just how far away from that big rock I am without having to walk back. (to within the foot)

edit I also have a set of clamp ons as the clearviews are currently out of budget.
Cameras do have their place, and if your used to them, great.
My better half has been directing me while backing up for so many years, it has become second nature. She doesn't even have to speak, just use hand signals...38 years of guiding me and I have never hit a rock, tree branch, or picnic table.
Not downplaying cameras at all....just hard to break 60 year habits.
I do find the rear view on the Ranger to be extremely helpful when backing up to the trailer to hitch up. Got it down to where I can get to within an inch or two of perfect.
Sponsored

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Please, Grumpaw, I am 75 and been driving and towing for many decades just like you. If you took on the mirror install, you could easily do the rear-view camera install. You should try it, and If you do and don't agree it's the best thing since sliced bread, ... well then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Please, Grumpaw, I am 75 and been driving and towing for many decades just like you. If you took on the mirror install, you could easily do the rear-view camera install. You should try it, and If you do and don't agree it's the best thing since sliced bread, ... well then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Installing one would not be a problem for me...my Jayco is already pre=wired for a set up. But I just don't feel it's necessary...for me. Not downplaying there usefulness...I'm just so used to scanning from mirror, across the front, to the other mirror. Anything where I have to take my view from the road to a fixed point where a camers screen would be, for me would be a distraction.
I'm just very old school in some respects. Heck, it took me a dozen years just to go to and trust tpms systems on me trailers cause I was/am used to checking my tires with an old fashioned 30 year old tire gauge.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Used CIPA / McKesh with blind spots for several thousand miles with neoprene seat belt covers on the strap. Bought the ClearView when they became available. Both of these allow great visibility. I’ve never seen any clip on I like. I hate them all, although many swear by them. Don’t have internet, so can’t post links without losing post, but CIPA with door straps and neoprene seat belt covers can be found on Amazon. Hensley Manufacturing has the McKesh blind spots. McKesh used to be stainless, but now are the same as CIPA’s. I wouldn’t use any other towing mirrors other than these three.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I use a strap on mirror for my 7ft wide CTC. I do have a problem with meeting trucks on the hwy folding my mirror back. This thread did give me the idea of adding a small bungy tied to my ditch light bracket to keep that from happening. Never worried about the mirror blowing off, its more annoying having to roll the window down to push the mirror back out, only to have the next truck fly by folding my mirror again.

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I use a strap on mirror for my 7ft wide CTC. I do have a problem with meeting trucks on the hwy folding my mirror back. This thread did give me the idea of adding a small bungy tied to my ditch light bracket to keep that from happening. Never worried about the mirror blowing off, its more annoying having to roll the window down to push the mirror back out, only to have the next truck fly by folding my mirror again.
I’ve also had this with my strap on mirrors. Not often, but definitely annoying when it does happen as the timing isn’t usually the best. For guys running with the Clearview mirrors, have you had any problems with them folding in when passing oncoming trucks? I’m thinking about upgrading, just wondering if the Clearviews would solve more than one problem for me.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve also had this with my strap on mirrors. Not often, but definitely annoying when it does happen as the timing isn’t usually the best. For guys running with the Clearview mirrors, have you had any problems with them folding in when passing oncoming trucks? I’m thinking about upgrading, just wondering if the Clearviews would solve more than one problem for me.
No problems at all with mine. Even extended all the way, there rock solid. Big rigs either passing or coming toward me have no effect on them. And in or extended all the way out, the folding function works.

joeduran3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
We tried what we thought were some nice clamp-on mirrors that were not huge - maybe half the size of the Ranger mirrors. I was very happy with how solid they were clamped on. Seemed like a great design. When we got to 65 mph, the wind on them made the Ranger mirrors fold back. Seconds later, the trailer mirrors both flew off. We were not on a stretch of road where we could do anything but pretend nothing happened. ?
We've towed our Epro 19FD for several thousand miles now without additional mirrors and, as was mentioned, the stock mirrors, BLIS, rear camera, and common sense seem to be quite adequate.
I had the same experience, having the mirrors fold back every time a big truck would pass by going the other way. I gave up on the tow mirrors and just use the standard ones. Besides, my trailer is wider than the truck so the additional mirrors didn't help that much.

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport Supercab 4x4, '19 Lance 1995
Occupation
Retired
I have been using these for about two years now https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirrors/K-Source/KS69ZR.html

Very happy with them. They are very solid and never move. The straps tend to slip off without the extra piece that holds them in place (3/4" Baltic birch). I also use a Haloview backup camera. The monitor is the same size as the Ranger rear view mirror and straps onto it, so you're looking at the normal location for the rear view. It also includes a front-facing camera.
IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5713.JPG

When passing trucks going the other direction on a two-lane road, the mirrors will fold up if it's an older flat-faced truck. With more streamlined modern trucks they typically stay in place. If I see an older truck coming, I'll hit the mirror-fold button and tuck them in myself beforehand.

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Quality Assurance
I have been using these for about two years now https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirrors/K-Source/KS69ZR.html

Very happy with them. They are very solid and never move. The straps tend to slip off without the extra piece that holds them in place (3/4" Baltic birch). I also use a Haloview backup camera. The monitor is the same size as the Ranger rear view mirror and straps onto it, so you're looking at the normal location for the rear view. It also includes a front-facing camera.
IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5713.JPG

When passing trucks going the other direction on a two-lane road, the mirrors will fold up if it's an older flat-faced truck. With more streamlined modern trucks they typically stay in place. If I see an older truck coming, I'll hit the mirror-fold button and tuck them in myself beforehand.
Yeah I am using those mirrors, too. Like your brace fabrication, I'll have to try it out. Like many here I have been logging legal miles since 1974. ( We'll ignore the earlier days of my misspent youth!) The mirrors help some and I do have to readjust at stops occasionally. My mirrors are set so I can see next to me and angled behind from my racing days and instruction. Don't need to know where the paint is. Just added the
Yakry Y27
camera kit I got on Amazon with the holiday deal. It's installed and looks like it will be a nice extra tool and look to have. Missus and I are pretty good on the backing in routine with cell phones Avoids silly yelling. I have got along without these in the past but at just under 25 foot and max width I'm not afraid to learn new tricks. Towed many a construction trailer and catamaran, so extra help is a good way to protect our nice toy. Looking forward to adjusting the camera when I can see more than the house siding 2 foot away! ;)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I use these, have worked well

Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I'm using these little suction cups mirrors:
https://www.campingworld.com/passenger's-side-tow-n-see-towing-mirror---convex-53920.html
https://www.campingworld.com/driver's-side-tow-n-see-towing-mirror---flat-53921.html

They are not anything special, but one nice thing is that you adjust them with the normal mirror controls. Fairly universal so if needed I can use them on my Focus or my wife's RHD Wrangler. I have the Clearview mirrors on a wish list, but not bought them yet as I want the top line and would add the harnesses and controls to get those features.
Sponsored