Were 2019 Rangers Built Better?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Jim, You're getting rid of your Ranger in the spring?
yeah Dave, I've been bankrupted by all the mods lol ? :frown: :sunglasses:

Actually my dad has a 2011 GMC 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 he doesn't drive much, it only has about 25000 miles on it. I can sell my Ranger and move into that and have no payments. I have really enjoyed the truck, still do but from a bank account point of view it just makes sense. And TBH the long term issues that could be problematic in the future with fuel injection and some of the technology are a little concerning. I will miss some of the nice features that spoiled me in the Ranger, I have already been shopping for aftermarket LED Headlights for it, and a new tuner too. Actually, I might not save any money in the first couple months LOL
Sponsored

Surlyman

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Tremor
Occupation
Hitman
There was a few issues being a first year run, which is why I never buy first year. But pretty sure they all got fixed if they were effected. Trans issues and blend doors come to mind.

That said, 2019 had all the things that have been deleted over the pandemic, mostly little things but they add up. Things like glove box dampeners, console shifter backlighting, passenger floor mat hooks, embossed “Ranger” in the lariat seats, that kind of small stuff.

When I put my order in for a 500/Tremor this year, there was a 19 CPO 501/FX4 on the floor that I strongly considered, it had it all!!!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I bought mine in 1/21. I’m at just under 20k miles and it’s been perfect. No mechanical or electrical issues, no squeaks, no rattles, all body panels are straight, etc. It’s been a great truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
yeah Dave, I've been bankrupted by all the mods lol ? :frown: :sunglasses:

Actually my dad has a 2011 GMC 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 he doesn't drive much, it only has about 25000 miles on it. I can sell my Ranger and move into that and have no payments. I have really enjoyed the truck, still do but from a bank account point of view it just makes sense. And TBH the long term issues that could be problematic in the future with fuel injection and some of the technology are a little concerning. I will miss some of the nice features that spoiled me in the Ranger, I have already been shopping for aftermarket LED Headlights for it, and a new tuner too. Actually, I might not save any money in the first couple months LOL
Financially it does make sense. But now this means I'll have to join the GMC forum and track you down over there just to make sure you're still spending money on mods and Graphene. ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,

First post here. Been lurking for about a week lol. I just got a new to me 2019 Ranger 4x2 with 41k miles on it. I ordered a 2023 Maverick Hybrid, for a work truck (I’m a homebuilder or home superintendent or professional babysitter, whatever you want to call it) so it’s more daily driver, tool hauler, small amounts of lumber moving sort of vehicle that I need. I ended up finding a good deal with this ranger, and honestly, I think I’ll stick with it. It’s more of an actual truck, and going from driving an f150 all the time, feels more of a winner for me.

I’ve seen on here about transmission issues so I plan to check mine this weekend to see if it’s low or not. It shifts okay but they feel a little harsh to me, but that may be just because I’m not used to a 10 speed.

overall I was curious if there was a general consensus on the pre-pandemic ranger being built a bit better or may be just my imagination? Hoping I made a good decision and all lol.

Appreciate y’alls time and feedback.
Welcome Conner...less than 24 hours and your threads going on 5th page...that should tell you something lol...

I guess I'd be considered an old timer with a 19 just about to roll into the 100K mark...I know there are higher mileage 5Gs but they're not here to document...I can attest that I got a solid build with all the "uncessary" items Ford makes you pay after sale to put back...only one gripe and that is the erratic 10 speed...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
There was a few issues being a first year run, which is why I never buy first year. But pretty sure they all got fixed if they were effected. Trans issues and blend doors come to mind.
Well, for anecdotal evidence, I bought an early 2019 (Ordered December 2018, before they were in dealers, delivered April 2019) and I've had zero issues at about 33k miles thus far. I'm not sure there was any real endemic issues after launch. Most of that can probably be attributed to the majority of the truck not really being new, just being new to North America.

I ordered mine kind of on faith it would be OK - I hadn't even test driven one. About a month after I ordered it, a local dealer got two Rangers and I was able to test drive one and knew I made the right decision. Part of why I thought it would be OK is because there wasn't really much new on the truck. The majority of the truck was the same as the ROW Ranger than had been around for several years. The engine and trans had mostly been in other vehicles (with a few tweaks for truck use).

I think the 6G will be a bit of a different story, but the ROW launch will hopefully weed out most of the first year issues before we get it in NA as well.

Surlyman

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Tremor
Occupation
Hitman
Well, for anecdotal evidence, I bought an early 2019 (Ordered December 2018, before they were in dealers, delivered April 2019) and I've had zero issues at about 33k miles thus far. I'm not sure there was any real endemic issues after launch. Most of that can probably be attributed to the majority of the truck not really being new, just being new to North America.

I ordered mine kind of on faith it would be OK - I hadn't even test driven one. About a month after I ordered it, a local dealer got two Rangers and I was able to test drive one and knew I made the right decision. Part of why I thought it would be OK is because there wasn't really much new on the truck. The majority of the truck was the same as the ROW Ranger than had been around for several years. The engine and trans had mostly been in other vehicles (with a few tweaks for truck use).

I think the 6G will be a bit of a different story, but the ROW launch will hopefully weed out most of the first year issues before we get it in NA as well.
That’s good to hear! Im just referncing if you look up the TSB’s by year, the 2019’s have a decent list of them and more than any other. Not all we’re effected, and those that were largely got fixed as mentioned. Then there were some part revisions such as the blend door actuators. The 10speed at the time was having some issue across models at the time, both the Ford and GM variants alike. Even today there’s active TSB’s and reports of various issues persisting relating to the 10s, but I believe they have been largely ironed out.

Have to see about the 6G, but the NA 5G is actually quite a bit different than the Ranger PX. There’s a good interview with one of the engineers on the project who talks about them. Even the frame of the truck is a bit different. There’s far more PN#’s they don’t share rather than share.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have to see about the 6G, but the NA 5G is actually quite a bit different than the Ranger PX. There’s a good interview with one of the engineers on the project who talks about them. Even the frame of the truck is a bit different. There’s far more PN#’s they don’t share rather than share.
I've seen those interviews with the engineers, and I'm not buying it. I could be wrong, but I still think it is mostly marketing - they wanted people to think the NA 5G Ranger was "all new" when in reality it was a minor refresh from the ROW Ranger with a new/different powertrain. I'm not saying it is exactly the same, but a lot of it is. It isn't nearly as "new" as Ford wanted people to believe.

Surlyman

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Tremor
Occupation
Hitman
I've seen those interviews with the engineers, and I'm not buying it. I could be wrong, but I still think it is mostly marketing - they wanted people to think the NA 5G Ranger was "all new" when in reality it was a minor refresh from the ROW Ranger with a new/different powertrain. I'm not saying it is exactly the same, but a lot of it is. It isn't nearly as "new" as Ford wanted people to believe.
Could be, but at that, we’re getting into speculation and opinion. Of which a person could go on about for years to come.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Could be, but at that, we’re getting into speculation and opinion. Of which a person could go on about for years to come.
Truer words were never spoken....

It is what makes the internet go round. :crackup: Or at least social media.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Typically, the last year of a generation of any vehicle has any glitches worked out and rated the best.
This run of vehicles from when the pandemic hit up to today is very likely to be inferior to pre- pandemic vehicles.

OP
OP
MacMantis

MacMantis

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
Wait until you take it on a forest road or a really rough dirt road. My 08 f150 was trying to shake loose parts off. This thing is crazy smooth.
I have a pretty bad washboard road I take home from work most days and it’s alright. Better than the f150 stock. But I put bilsteins on the f150 and that helped a ton. Will probably do the same with the ranger soonish.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have a pretty bad washboard road I take home from work most days and it’s alright. Better than the f150 stock. But I put bilsteins on the f150 and that helped a ton. Will probably do the same with the ranger soonish.
I changed mine out to the Eibach coilovers and it make a huge difference over the stock Fx4. Stock going over washboards I was all over the place and now it's more planted and corrects much faster. I was going to go with the Bilsteins but they were backordered and I wanted them for our road trip. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major companies as they're all much better than the stock setup.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Can't recall when it became popular to use engineers to help "sell" the product without making it look that way, GM was doing the "real" people not actors stuff for a long time with a guy walking around with a clipboard to make it seem like they were some sort of non biased scientist. And then there are the TV ads with mostly females in white coats that are supposedly MDs but pitching some sort of product or service. Who knows what is real vs fake but I agree with you about this "all new" approach that is commonly used even when it's a mild makeover. I do believe the Dos Equis guys pitch however "stay thirsty my friends" as being legit.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
What worries me?

Have you bought anything or been anywhere in the last 3 years?

People can't even put a $15 fast food meal together correctly anymore. Trying to operate a business in environment has been difficult accross the board. Ford certainly hasn't been immune to this.

For example look at the windshield recall.

Like I said, my truck has been problem free. But I wouldn't be surprised if I get a recall about SOMETHING.
I go lots of places and see varying degrees of competency everywhere. I suppose any automaker can have a recall once in a while. I was curious if you had anything specific in mind regarding that build date as it is close to if not the same as mine.
Sponsored