First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
Well I was driving along and everything was fine, then the next time I used the turn signals I got the fast flash like a bulb was out. When I got home I checked and found I had no lights at all on the back end. So I pop the hood to check fuses and I find a dead squirrel under the coolant tank by the passenger firewall. The little bigger was trying to make a nest on that shelf and ate through part of the wire harness that is there. Now it’s waiting time because the dealer can’t get me in till Thursday. Good thing it’s covered by my insurance.

F81959FD-CD2E-43FC-86E8-8B98083CC8FD.jpeg

58270BC9-7EE7-400A-B4DA-9F48C0E02326.jpeg
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Well I was driving along and everything was fine, then the next time I used the turn signals I got the fast flash like a bulb was out. When I got home I checked and found I had no lights at all on the back end. So I pop the hood to check fuses and I find a dead squirrel under the coolant tank by the passenger firewall. The little bigger was trying to make a nest on that shelf and ate through part of the wire harness that is there. Now it’s waiting time because the dealer can’t get me in till Thursday. Good thing it’s covered by my insurance.

F81959FD-CD2E-43FC-86E8-8B98083CC8FD.jpeg

58270BC9-7EE7-400A-B4DA-9F48C0E02326.jpeg
Evil little creep! At least he paid for his crime.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Secured storage fixes a lot of these issues.

Especially important since Ford uses wiring in which the insulation is made from soybeans, which attracts varmints.

One would think adding something to the insulation that would deter varmints would be prudent? Like whatever Dow puts in this...

1612274907396.png

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Secured storage fixes a lot of these issues.

Especially important since Ford uses wiring in which the insulation is made from soybeans, which attracts varmints.

One would think adding something to the insulation that would deter varmints would be prudent? Like whatever Dow puts in this...

1612274907396.png
That stuff doesn't work on anything with teeth. Ask me how I know...

I'd put some Flaming hot sauce on the harness, and then warn the technicians to spray it off if they ever have to work on it :)

That or just a paper towel full of hot sauce secured with a zip tie to where they might want to take up residence.

I've used this one in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/Iguana-Fuego-Ultra-Hot-Sauce/dp/B0032P1U22

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That stuff doesn't work on anything with teeth. Ask me how I know...
Hey Chance... How Do You Know?

It's worked for the last four years on my barn.

SS002.jpg

Column Isolaters 003.jpg

GEDC1561.JPG

001.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
GySgt.Elliott

GySgt.Elliott

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Well I’m using the same thing I did when they tried getting into the attic. Bobcat scent on a rag. Just have to refresh it so to speak every few weeks. I can get it at my local outdoor store.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Chance... How Do You Know?

It's worked for the last four years on my barn.

SS002.jpg

Column Isolaters 003.jpg

GEDC1561.JPG

001.JPG
The rodents around here give zero F's about chewing right through it. I think it's probably their last resort, but they chew a perfectly round hole right in it, and go in and out without so much as a second thought. My guess is they have a better way in and out of wherever you have sealed. Put a mouse trap with some fresh peanut butter in it, and report back in a day or two.

If I douse it with hot sauce, they don't come back though.

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The rodents around here give zero F's about chewing right through it. I think it's probably their last resort, but they chew a perfectly round hole right in it, and go in and out without so much as a second thought. My guess is they have a better way in and out of wherever you have sealed. Put a mouse trap with some fresh peanut butter in it, and report back in a day or two.

If I douse it with hot sauce, they don't come back though.
I've got sticky traps at every door, and have had for 4 years. No mice... no mouse crap nothing. Also no food source for them in the building. Other than the tasty wiring in my truck.

But we're getting off track. My comment was about whatever ingredient they use in the rodent formula spray foam...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got sticky traps at every door, and have had for 4 years. No mice... no mouse crap nothing. Also no food source for them in the building. Other than the tasty wiring in my truck.

But we're getting off track. My comment was about whatever ingredient they use in the rodent formula spray foam...
My mice are apparently hard up for food then :)

The stuff they put in the pestblock foam is called Denatonium Benzoate. I add my own hot sauce...

OP
OP
GySgt.Elliott

GySgt.Elliott

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Well here is an update. Insurance is more than willing to take care of this repair, but the dealer has had my truck for a week and can’t give my insurance an estimate due to the part number on the harness not matching my VIN in fords system. They daily are emailing ford, but are not getting any answers. Not happy that a truck with 1,000 miles is stuck in the dealership due to ford having their parts system jacked up. I am being told that even when they get that figured out there is no idea if even the harness is available due to parts supply issues due to the Rona. Feeling very frustrated and disappointed with ford right now. The dealer is putting me n a rental on their dime so at least they are trying.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Peppermint oil works for mice. Not sure about squirrels though

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The squirrels and I have an agreement.....Stay outta my stuff and I won't shoot you. Now woodpeckers, that's a different story.

IMG_3654.jpg
That's how I get rid of those nasty flying cockroaches (pigeons) on my roof here.
Sponsored