waze display on gauge cluster / adjust temp/fan with android auto?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
FORscan mod will show the climate on the small screen. I use it to keep infotainment screen off or an Apple CarPlay. Then just use the physical buttons and see what your changing. Sadly the arrow keys on steering wheel dont work to change climate like on other Fords. My screen also shows driving directions with CarPlay but I have the newest Sync 3.4, the dark blue one. It's soooooooooo much better. I had it on my a 202 Mustang I rented and immediately forced my truck to get it.
John, is that a Basenji pup in your profile picture?
Sponsored

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have a 2019 lariat and wondering if waze will display on my right gauge cluster (like using the built in Nav)? Also wondering if there is an easy way to adjust the fan/temp with android auto on without having to exit to the main sync screen. Seems like a crappy interface or maybe its me? My wifes 2018 CRV will display waze directions on her gauge cluster and that's a nice feature.

thanks
No on the first question - the only feature Iā€™ve seen carry over from phone to center cluster on any Ford is what is currently playing on audio.

As for the climate, why not just use the physical buttons? Thatā€™s what I do and the change to temperature or fan speed always shows as a pop-up over my CarPlay screen

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
As for the climate, why not just use the physical buttons? Thatā€™s what I do and the change to temperature or fan speed always shows as a pop-up over my CarPlay screen
I'd love it if I could control climate from the dash screen & steering wheel, because the physical buttons on the center stack kinda suck.

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'd love it if I could control climate from the dash screen & steering wheel, because the physical buttons on the center stack kinda suck.
Canā€™t disagree with the fact that the manual buttons are not the easiest to use without taking your eyes off the road - size, placement, and lack of differentiation between temp vs fan vs mode buttons make it so you canā€™t use them intuitively. Whatā€™s nice is on my XLT, since I donā€™t have the dual 4.2 inch screens, on the steering wheel I have a home button. This instantly takes me to the Sync screen from Apple CarPlay so I can operate anything within Sync 3 after using the quick ā€˜shortcutā€™ button. Lariats wouldnā€™t have this unfortunately

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
No on the first question - the only feature Iā€™ve seen carry over from phone to center cluster on any Ford is what is currently playing on audio.

My biggest gripe is if I want to actually manually control things, like what vents are being used, I have to exit android auto to get to the climate screen and that's a huge roundabout pain to switch from "auto" to feet for instance.

Turborave

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest gripe is if I want to actually manually control things, like what vents are being used, I have to exit android auto to get to the climate screen and that's a huge roundabout pain to switch from "auto" to feet for instance.
yes, with android auto going, with waze, thats usually the only reason i connect it, you can not change from top vents to feet or feet to something else other than defrosters, you have to un plug the phone to get your climate button back on the touch screen. there should be a physical button to change where your air/heat is coming out of.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Score one for Apple then. Been using Waze since it first came out and way back then a crowd sourced app. I was one of the mappers early on with my oldest son. Got a cool emoji for the efforts ?

As far as using it in the Ranger, Iā€™m in an XLT with the Sync 3 and 8ā€ screen. When connected with a lightning cable it works from the touch screen with all functions. When I dock my phone and truck is already on it will automatically open Waze. It does kill my FM radio and defaults to phone media. All my Sync selection buttons are on the bottom and swiping left it right allows me to get at any of the other settings while Waze is active. 2 touches and back on FM and Waze.

I also sport hearing aids. Nice thing about that is I can port Waze and phone calls through phone and aids and leave the music on with the car sound system!

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
yes, with android auto going, with waze, thats usually the only reason i connect it, you can not change from top vents to feet or feet to something else other than defrosters, you have to un plug the phone to get your climate button back on the touch screen. there should be a physical button to change where your air/heat is coming out of.
You don't have to unplug your phone.

Push the little circle in the bottom left and hit exit. This takes you back to the main sync screen where you can do what you need, then just tap "Android Auto" to go back when you're done.

I'd like a better way to do it, but you definitely don't need to unplug your phone to make these changes.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
You don't have to unplug your phone.

Push the little circle in the bottom left and hit exit. This takes you back to the main sync screen where you can do what you need, then just tap "Android Auto" to go back when you're done.

I'd like a better way to do it, but you definitely don't need to unplug your phone to make these changes.
Just push the home button on the steering wheel to get back to the sync interface

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Not sure on Lariat, but on XLT another way to adjust temp and fan speed is to use microphone button on steering wheel (ex: "set temperature to 72 degrees").

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My 2021 Lariat with Sync 3.4 will show Android Auto's Google Maps directions on the right hand screen, just like the Ford navigation instructions. I do have factory navigation, unsure if that is required for this to work or not?
Sponsored