First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Installed today. It has a clearance issue if you have the 4 bulb LED grille light kit.

It does fit but I might trim the led light bracket back...or I might not. Pictures attached
20201020_205717.jpg

20201020_205708.jpg

It was a PITA with the light bar but again. Doable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
would like to the see the air/fuel numbers with this thing. its got to be introducing a excalibrated lean cruise condition on the PCM to get 2 MPG
You would think so, right? That the ECM would richen the fuel ratio to make up for the air density? But it doesn't seem to.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Nice, hardly noticeable...I was wondering about removing the colored ring to clear the light.
I think the colored ring/flare of the intake is a critical design component.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Got mine installed. Visually on an XLT grill you can't really even see it. I was expecting it to swoop forward more and be closer to the grill. It was hard to squeeze the extension through the grill to tighten one of the bolts. A long 1/4" extension would have been better, but I don't have a long enough one on the size. we'll see how we do with mileage. I'm already getting close to 21 so I'm not expecting a huge gain but I'm hopeful for something extra and hopeful that the xlt grill doesn't hamper performance. (Yes, I'm aware how dirty the truck is)
PXL_20201021_194706723.jpg

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Got mine installed. Visually on an XLT grill you can't really even see it. I was expecting it to swoop forward more and be closer to the grill. It was hard to squeeze the extension through the grill to tighten one of the bolts. A long 1/4" extension would have been better, but I don't have a long enough one on the size. we'll see how we do with mileage. I'm already getting close to 21 so I'm not expecting a huge gain but I'm hopeful for something extra and hopeful that the xlt grill doesn't hamper performance. (Yes, I'm aware how dirty the truck is)
PXL_20201021_194706723.jpg
This is the grill design I was most curious about functionally.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I looked at your thread and the mods. Your particular grill really compliments the VT although better gas mileage after the mods you've done might be elusive.

Your original scoop modxwas pretty well thought out - I wonder what benefits it provided? I'd guess whatever performance changes the Big Mouth provides might be harder to quantify for you unless you have some detailed data already.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I looked at your thread and the mods. Your particular grill really compliments the VT although better gas mileage after the mods you've done might be elusive.

Your original scoop modxwas pretty well thought out - I wonder what benefits it provided? I'd guess whatever performance changes the Big Mouth provides might be harder to quantify for you unless you have some detailed data already.
I tuned very early on and have monitored the temps. I don't recall much change with my scoop mod. My biggest gain was switching to 91 from 87. I'm going to try on see if any difference is noticed by swithing to this. So far just this morning the air box temp reached ambient for a while which it usually stays a couple/few degrees higher. But I do have traffic and not that long of a drive. I can only hope my mileage goes up as it's still kind of disappointing considering I'm pretty light on the pedal even though I'm mod heavy.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I tuned very early on and have monitored the temps. I don't recall much change with my scoop mod. My biggest gain was switching to 91 from 87. I'm going to try on see if any difference is noticed by swithing to this. So far just this morning the air box temp reached ambient for a while which it usually stays a couple/few degrees higher. But I do have traffic and not that long of a drive. I can only hope my mileage goes up as it's still kind of disappointing considering I'm pretty light on the pedal even though I'm mod heavy.
I’ve found that the airbox getting heat soaked is the biggest issue with rising intake temps. I’m building an insulated blanket for the air box for testing to solve heat soak hopefully.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I’ve found that the airbox getting heat soaked is the biggest issue with rising intake temps. I’m building an insulated blanket for the air box for testing to solve heat soak hopefully.
It doesn't make that much of a difference once you pull some air through it when you take off.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I installed mine last night. I didn't realize it didn't directly connect the scoop to the air box. It collects the air an helps force it to the area of the air box snorkel. I'll post up the results after a tank of gas or 2.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't make that much of a difference once you pull some air through it when you take off.
Using the Procal 4 tool, the max low temp I can get after data logging for a month in city driving is 10 deg above ambient after the air box is heat soaked. Avg is 15-18 above ambient. It takes at least 15 min of 70mph driving to come back down to ambient; cool the plastic air box oven if you will. It doesn’t help that a tremendous amount of radiator fan airflow hits the engine facing side of the air box, continuously warming the plastic. I used to subscribe to the residence time theory that the intake air doesn’t move slow enough to heat up due to air box heat soak, but the data from the IAT sensor debunks that. A heat soaked air box after parking can raise air temps to 130-140 when restarting and insulating the box can help mitigate the issue so as to not need highway speeds for many minutes to get back down to coolest air intake temps possible for max power. I’ll post updates as I gather data post air box blanket install.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Using the Procal 4 tool, the max low temp I can get after data logging for a month in city driving is 10 deg above ambient after the air box is heat soaked. Avg is 15-18 above ambient. It takes at least 15 min of 70mph driving to come back down to ambient; cool the plastic air box oven if you will. It doesn’t help that a tremendous amount of radiator fan airflow hits the engine facing side of the air box, continuously warming the plastic. I used to subscribe to the residence time theory that the intake air doesn’t move slow enough to heat up due to air box heat soak, but the data from the IAT sensor debunks that. A heat soaked air box after parking can raise air temps to 130-140 when restarting and insulating the box can help mitigate the issue so as to not need highway speeds for many minutes to get back down to coolest air intake temps possible for max power. I’ll post updates as I gather data post air box blanket install.
What you're seeing in part the hot air being recirculating from the bypass valve working it's way to the air box. It doesn't take me anywhere near 15 mins of driving at 70 to lower the air box temp for me.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you're seeing in part the hot air being recirculating from the bypass valve working it's way to the air box. It doesn't take me anywhere near 15 mins of driving at 70 to lower the air box temp for me.
I have a non recirculating setup right now so that’s not a factor. Plus the recirculation port is downstream from the IAT sensor, and under throttle is not recirculating due to the nature of auto trans vehicles and the subsequent throttle plate not closing under steady throttle which opens the DV / BOV. What tool are you using to monitor IATs as maybe my Procal tool is off?
Sponsored