First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Back in August, Velossa Tech put out a request for a local Ranger owner to bring by their truck to test fit their Big Mouth Intake they were developing for our Rangers. The forum member they had been working with in developing one had blown his motor and wasnt able to help out. So I volunteered.

The company has been around for about five years and operates essentially a garage in a small business park. The owner Dan and I chatted and watched while one of his employees did the install. I didn't want to come off as a skeptic of this sort of accessory, but enjoyed the idea of contributing to the 5G community and maybe supporting a small local business (to South Florida).

Honestly I thought this was really giong to be some type of cosmetic gimmick. I didin't take pictures but if you ever get the chance to remove the plastic cowel over the intercooler/radiator, you might be frustrated at the inherent airflow potential of our trucks; but of course - they are trucks after all.

There is no modification to the truck with the big mouth installed except two factory bolts are swapped out to mount the horn.

My expectations weren't significant as I left the shop, promising Dan I'd do some type of record keeping and report back. So I snapped this:

IMG_20200828_104140999.jpg

I gave up on hitting the factory reported MPG a whil ago, as much the fault of my right foot as the modifications I've made thus far (see signature). I tend to move with the 'faster' traffic if you know what I mean. My typical driving routes are pretty set with about 80% highway/turnpike. I've been using nothing but Premium in the truck for a couple months now since joining Sam's club.

When I next pulled in to fuel up, here's what had changed: I hadn't reset the computer previously for a couple months since installing the tune from Unleashed.
IMG_20200904_112242747.jpg

I hand calculate my mileage as well, ever since 'correcting' the factory settings in Engineering Mode. The computer is less than half a mile per gallon different, so I feel it's pretty close. (I use the remote start a lot)

Figured I'd pull up the trip odometer while I was refueling:

IMG_20200904_112550099.jpg

Dan said I could discuss this with the forum ahead of the official release of the ram air. I'll be first to admit my testing is far from scientific, however even with some margin for variables I'm very comfortable asserting there is an appreciable improvement in my highway mileage. I don't plan on taking a distance road trip for another month or so, but I'll be able to keep the accessory on the truck for a while.

Right now I can make a fiscal argument to invest in one of these depending on your driving habits. As far as asthetics beauty is in the eye of the beholder - wait for Velossa Tech to put these on their web site to have your opinions.

I'll put up more pictures when I fill the tank again.
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I had an intake on my Sport Trac and noticed a 10% increase myself, I’ll keep an eye on the cost of this.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
Back in August, Velossa Tech put out a request for a local Ranger owner to bring by their truck to test fit their Big Mouth Intake they were developing for our Rangers. The forum member they had been working with in developing one had blown his motor and wasnt able to help out. So I volunteered.

The company has been around for about five years and operates essentially a garage in a small business park. The owner Dan and I chatted and watched while one of his employees did the install. I didn't want to come off as a skeptic of this sort of accessory, but enjoyed the idea of contributing to the 5G community and maybe supporting a small local business (to South Florida).

Honestly I thought this was really giong to be some type of cosmetic gimmick. I didin't take pictures but if you ever get the chance to remove the plastic cowel over the intercooler/radiator, you might be frustrated at the inherent airflow potential of our trucks; but of course - they are trucks after all.

There is no modification to the truck with the big mouth installed except two factory bolts are swapped out to mount the horn.

My expectations weren't significant as I left the shop, promising Dan I'd do some type of record keeping and report back. So I snapped this:

IMG_20200828_104140999.jpg

I gave up on hitting the factory reported MPG a whil ago, as much the fault of my right foot as the modifications I've made thus far (see signature). I tend to move with the 'faster' traffic if you know what I mean. My typical driving routes are pretty set with about 80% highway/turnpike. I've been using nothing but Premium in the truck for a couple months now since joining Sam's club.

When I next pulled in to fuel up, here's what had changed: I hadn't reset the computer previously for a couple months since installing the tune from Unleashed.
IMG_20200904_112242747.jpg

I hand calculate my mileage as well, ever since 'correcting' the factory settings in Engineering Mode. The computer is less than half a mile per gallon different, so I feel it's pretty close. (I use the remote start a lot)

Figured I'd pull up the trip odometer while I was refueling:

IMG_20200904_112550099.jpg

Dan said I could discuss this with the forum ahead of the official release of the ram air. I'll be first to admit my testing is far from scientific, however even with some margin for variables I'm very comfortable asserting there is an appreciable improvement in my highway mileage. I don't plan on taking a distance road trip for another month or so, but I'll be able to keep the accessory on the truck for a while.

Right now I can make a fiscal argument to invest in one of these depending on your driving habits. As far as asthetics beauty is in the eye of the beholder - wait for Velossa Tech to put these on their web site to have your opinions.

I'll put up more pictures when I fill the tank again.
Thanks for being the test mule for this intake, we all look forward to seeing it and more real world numbers from you. Also great you are supporting a small local business, especially in these hard times:like:

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
I wish we could some designs of what its going to be like.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
i wonder how this would work along with the mishimoto intake... ALL the air flow
I imagine it will help. I pre-ordered the aFe replacement snorkel for the stocker. I considered other complete intakes but don't want to do away with the level of protection the factory filter gives. I don't think there is significant restriction there. From what I can perceive from the prototype the Velossatech creates a higher pressure area in the area under the hood in front of the factory inlet.

Last edited:

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I assume this sits behind the grill like big mouths for other platforms? I doubt these do that much in terms of performance but they sure do look cool

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I assume this sits behind the grill like big mouths for other platforms? I doubt these do that much in terms of performance but they sure do look cool
I really don't believe that aftermarket air cleaners provide a significant performance benefit without affecting long term wear on the motor.

Even the owner of Velossatech said as much, that his customers reported better highway mileage. I'm only halfway through the second tank of gas and that's my experience.

I totally understand there is no practical way to demonstrate performance increases, but if I'm getting real world efficiency then I consider it a refinement to the manufacturer's base design.

I wouldn't assert an advantage on the drag strip.

If the styling appeals that's just a bonus.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I had an intake on my Sport Trac and noticed a 10% increase myself, I’ll keep an eye on the cost of this.
I hadn't read a lot if testimonials on this sort of thing since I've never considered one. I was skeptical sure, and not too interested in the cosmetic 'ricer' aspect.

I'm a middle aged guy who traded out of a sedan to a truck and while performance is always fun, I'd appreciate some economy in ownership.

Where Velossa Tech stands to benefit is appealing to those of us who chose the Ranger for it's promised highway mileage and once seduced by the hot rod potential would like to regain some virtue by adding something like this to get that back. I don't have enough data to figure out the break even point, but with all the inside jokes about how other more expensive ( $?) mods boost MPG's small percentages this might be easier to quantify.

Well, at least a little ;-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I wish we could some designs of what its going to be like.
Here's the view of the prototype installed (from the front) - not the colors I'd choose, but... keep in mind the cowl cover for the intercooler/oil cooler/radiator has to be removed to bolt it on, so I can't show all that. You can see some of the other color options for cars at
https://www.velossatechdesign.com/
IMG_20200911_160558176_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ROOK

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2017 BMW 230 I convertible
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all the great information that you have supplied on this forum. I feel there is a ton of interest both in performance and improved mileage with there design. Also if it can β€œcouple with another intake”and how that may work.

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
This has my full attention now. It's been in prototype for awhile any kind of ETA on a projected release? Does this replace the factory air dam that pipes into the bottom of the intake box?

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Did they give any indication on when it would be available? Seems promising
Dan said within the next two weeks I believe.

Since I started this thread I'll pass on what I know as it happens.
Sponsored