First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I still pump the gas pedal before i start the ranger.
Ya, and keep the choke knob pushed in 'til she turns over a few times then pull'er out and she'll start right up.
Sponsored

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
How ever did engines go 200,000 miles all the time without even knowing about flood mode?!?!

What AAA says about warming up your car:

AAA Auto Repair recommends

"Want to know if you really need to warm up the car engine before driving, even during the cold winter months? AAA provides auto care tips that help you keep your vehicle running smoothly every season of the year.

Myth: To improve performance, particularly in cold weather, allow the engine to run for a few minutes before driving.

Fact: Start the engine and allow it to idle only for the time it takes you to fasten your seat belt. This ensures that lubricating oil gets to all of the engine's vital parts. Driving the car normally and avoiding hard acceleration brings the engine to a warmer temperature faster, and also reduces wear and exhaust emissions. Naturally, a little longer idle time is ok in winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts."

Advanced lubricants keep parts coated after the engine is off, reducing the need for warmups.

Let's see how the convo goes!

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
How ever did engines go 200,000 miles all the time without even knowing about flood mode?!?!

"Want to know if you really need to warm up the car engine before driving, even during the cold winter months? AAA provides auto care tips that help you keep your vehicle running smoothly every season of the year.

Myth: To improve performance, particularly in cold weather, allow the engine to run for a few minutes before driving.

Fact: Start the engine and allow it to idle only for the time it takes you to fasten your seat belt. This ensures that lubricating oil gets to all of the engine's vital parts. Driving the car normally and avoiding hard acceleration brings the engine to a warmer temperature faster, and also reduces wear and exhaust emissions. Naturally, a little longer idle time is ok in winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts."

Advanced lubricants keep parts coated after the engine is off, reducing the need for warmups.

I used to live in Minnesota where it would get to 40 below zero. There ain't no way in hell I'm gonna throw it in drive immediately after startup lol.

Also I do enjoy when companies that were created to tow/service broken down vehicles offer advice on how to operate said vehicles.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’ve always cranked my cars and let them run until the idle falls to the baseline level. In the Ranger, that’s around 900 rpm and takes about a minute when the engine is cold. It’s probably unnecessary, but it seems like every vehicle has a built in cold start up process and I like to let them go through it.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
The oil pump pushes the same amount of oil per crank regardless of motor rpm. If it takes 20 rotations to get the top end running using the starter, it will take 20 rotations at idle. The only potential difference is ~200 rpm vs ~500 rpm.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I used to live in Minnesota where it would get to 40 below zero. There ain't no way in hell I'm gonna throw it in drive immediately after startup lol.

Also I do enjoy when companies that were created to tow/service broken down vehicles offer advice on how to operate said vehicles.
You missed: " Naturally, a little longer idle time is ok in winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts."

You do You!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
The oil pump pushes the same amount of oil per crank regardless of motor rpm. If it takes 20 rotations to get the top end running using the starter, it will take 20 rotations at idle. The only potential difference is ~200 rpm vs ~500 rpm.
yeah, I’m not worried at all about the oil. I just assume there is some reason the cold startup is programmed to run is at higher rpms in practically every vehicle Ive ever driven, so I give it time to do it’s thing. May be a waste of time, but I’m not in a hurry.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
yeah, I’m not worried at all about the oil. I just assume there is some reason the cold startup is programmed to run is at higher rpms in practically every vehicle Ive ever driven, so I give it time to do it’s thing. May be a waste of time, but I’m not in a hurry.
That comment was directed at the flood start, not warm-up time.

I warm-up all winter, and for AC on hot days in the summer. Black truck, black leather interior.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021

Here in arctics we use either electric block heater or webasto/ebersprach fuel heaters. Block heater is usually extended with cabin heater where as fuel heaters utilize the coolant loop for cabin heating.

That way the cabin and engine is already warm before you leave the house :)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
about as necessary as filling the new oil filter up before installing although I think the horizontal mounting on the Ranger makes that a bit of a challenge. modern engine lubrication systems pump oil and build pressure quickly. However i rarely floor the accelerator so maybe I'll do it just for the sake of practice.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I actually just tried this since I just finished changing my oil. Engine certainly did have less of a sewing machine sound compared to a general cold start. I’ll certainly start doing this the first start after an oil change.

Great tip!

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I actually just tried this since I just finished changing my oil. Engine certainly did have less of a sewing machine sound compared to a general cold start. I’ll certainly start doing this the first start after an oil change.

Great tip!
Well, thank you but No No its already been declared useless and pointless by the amateur powertrain engineers on here so sorry..Ha!

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, thank you but No No its already been declared useless and pointless by the amateur powertrain engineers on here so sorry..Ha!
I am open to anyone explaining the benefits.

If for example, flood mode ran the oil pump without spinning the motor, or engaged an alternate oil pump system to wet the top end, I would immediately concede that is a benefit.

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I am open to anyone explaining the benefits.

If for example, flood mode ran the oil pump without spinning the motor, or engaged an alternate oil pump system to wet the top end, I would immediately concede that is a benefit.
I mean he says all there really is to say about it in the video. No one is saying everyone should be doing this all the time. Only that it might be a good idea to do when you first start after changing the oil, or your vehicle is rattling on start up after sitting for some period of time.

Not sure how we got off on warming your engine up when it’s cold either, that’s not what this is about at all.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I mean he says all there really is to say about it in the video. No one is saying everyone should be doing this all the time. Only that it might be a good idea to do when you first start after changing the oil, or your vehicle is rattling on start up after sitting for some period of time.

Not sure how we got off on warming your engine up when it’s cold either, that’s not what this is about at all.
Yes, in the video he said "If you need to pre-fill the oil filter" but as I explained that is really not achieved with flood mode. Pre-fill the oil filter? What? He really didn't explain anything other than how to achieve flood mode, which literally cuts off the fuel, and nothing else. Every part of your motor that has friction will have the exact same amount of friction whether it starts regularly or under flood mode. Motor rpm is the only variable. Arguably at starter speed, as the oil pump is not at recommended operating speed, it may actually pump less efficiently, therefore causing increased amount of friction.

I'm not telling anyone not to do it, just expressing my understanding of what is happening and wondering where the benefit is.
Sponsored