First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Here in arctics we use either electric block heater or webasto/ebersprach fuel heaters. Block heater is usually extended with cabin heater where as fuel heaters utilize the coolant loop for cabin heating.

That way the cabin and engine is already warm before you leave the house :)
Many public parking spaces in Sweden have a post with a plug for this purpose...
Sponsored

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, in the video he said "If you need to pre-fill the oil filter" but as I explained that is really not achieved with flood mode. Pre-fill the oil filter? What? He really didn't explain anything other than how to achieve flood mode, which literally cuts off the fuel, and nothing else. Every part of your motor that has friction will have the exact same amount of friction whether it starts regularly or under flood mode. Motor rpm is the only variable. Arguably at starter speed, as the oil pump is not at recommended operating speed, it may actually pump less efficiently, therefore causing increased amount of friction.

I'm not telling anyone not to do it, just expressing my understanding of what is happening and wondering where the benefit is.
I have always pre-filled my oil filters before spinning them on. The engine pulls oil right from the filter. Yes, it’s very difficult to do when the filter is sideways like ours is. Flood mode simply allows the oil pump to get the oil in all the needed locations before the engine actually starts (of course the oil pump is not operating at the same efficiency as it does when the engine is running but it’s still enough to get the oil where it needs to be, the all important top end of the motor).

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And take your finger and run some clean oil around the seal of the oil filter before you spin it on as well. No one ever heard this stuff?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I have always pre-filled my oil filters before spinning them on. The engine pulls oil right from the filter. Yes, it’s very difficult to do when the filter is sideways like ours is. Flood mode simply allows the oil pump to get the oil in all the needed locations before the engine actually starts (of course the oil pump is not operating at the same efficiency as it does when the engine is running but it’s still enough to get the oil where it needs to be, the all important top end of the motor).
Yes, and the benefit?

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and the benefit?
What’s the benefit of all the portions of your motor being properly lubricated?
I think we have a communication breakdown or something.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Insults and memes, instead of defending your point, beyond generalizations. Of course lube is good, no one is questioning that.

In your expertise what is the wear differential between 200 and 800 rpm, and how how many revolutions before oil is throughout the cycle protecting the whole motor?

I am here if you want to have a discussion, I'd rather not have to return you insults.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok that meme was a bit harsh for this instance, just been wanting to use it lol, so my apologies.

I’m not a scientist or chemist or powertrain engineer. I just saw a thing that is incredibly easy to do and free and “might” help my motor go the 15-20 years I’d like it to go. That’s all I got.

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But I will say it’s not a difference between 200 and 800 RPM it’s more like a difference between 200 and 1200 RPM that a cold motor starts out at. Apparently there is a friction difference between the 2 though.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
As an Engineer ? I think Jack's (and his dog's) point is this is not really priming the engine with oil (as in using a distributor shaft as a means to turn the oil pump-and only the pump) its cranking the engine. IMHO the benefit is small, it's what I would call a 1% solution. Ie its a 1% improvement over just starting your motor. Is it better Yes, is it needed? Probably not.

But your truck, your opinion, your choice.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
But I will say it’s not a difference between 200 and 800 RPM it’s more like a difference between 200 and 1200 RPM that a cold motor starts out at. Apparently there is a friction difference between the 2 though.
Apparently there is a difference? Based on what? Got a source or explanation, or is it that you just can't stop yourself from trolling even though you don't really know what you are talking about?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Apparently there is a difference? Based on what? Got a source or explanation, or is it that you just can't stop yourself from trolling even though you don't really know what you are talking about?
Let it go, it's not important nor does it make a difference.
If all is equal and it take 100 revs to get the oil all over... You still get 100
revs of wear no matter what you do.
I see no benefit OP.
Now, if it would spray oil on all parts before a single rev, now we would be talking.

Keep in mind, I'm some bot on the internet so..... ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Might not be a bad idea to do it if your truck has been sitting for weeks, as far as filling the oil filter before installing I've always changed my oil after the engine is at operating temp, so have to believe there is ample residual lubrication on the moving parts.

Kind of a side story and I may have previously posted it but back in the 80s I worked for a lady and both she and her hubby drove turbo Saabs as did I, her hubby approaches me about going in on group buy for a turbo pre-luber device and post shutdown timed lubrication - I told him to get lost. Back then turbos were not water cooled it was recommended to idle for 30 secs before engine shut down. Well they installed the thing on their Saabs, a short time later she crashed her Saab head on into bridge abutment , totaled the auto but drivers door opened and she walked away uninjured. Later I heard the oil feed line on his turbo pre-luber ruptured and destroyed the engine. My Saab went on to some 250k miles before it was totaled in a wreck and I had taken a compression test and the readings were nearly that of an new engine. I did mostly changed the oil at recommended intervals and idled for 30 secs before shutdown, but I never pre-filled the oil filter at changes nor install a turbo pre luber.
Sponsored