Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently there is a difference? Based on what? Got a source or explanation, or is it that you just can't stop yourself from trolling even though you don't really know what you are talking about?
I’m trolling? You’re on a thread I started! ?. I think you just wanted to use an Internet word just like I wanted to use that meme.

I simply posted an easy procedure people can do if they want to, A take it or leave it kind of thing. I’ve said several times I don’t have any more science to put out about this, it’s beyond my knowledge. You yourself certainly haven’t provided any evidence to the contrary.
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Okay I'll post my actual opinion for once.
I would only use flood mode on a recently built/rebuilt engine or after major internal repair(or when trying to diag an issue)

Unless you let the engine sit for days and days, the internals should still have a film of oil to protect itself during cranking.

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I'll post my actual opinion for once.
I would only use flood mode on a recently built/rebuilt engine or after major internal repair(or when trying to diag an issue)

Unless you let the engine sit for days and days, the internals should still have a film of oil to protect itself during cranking.
Well yes despite the misunderstanding here no one, including me, is saying use flood mode on your truck every morning. Do NOT do that. It’s only something you MIGHT think about doing if your truck has set for three weeks or you have just changed your oil, or like you said any other time you may just want the engine to spin over but not start.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Difference is the load on rod bearings is much less cranking in flood mode to fill filter and get oil to bearings than it is with engine running to fill filter and get oil to the bearings.
The debate should be... is it worth the trouble?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Difference is the load on rod bearings is much less cranking in flood mode to fill filter and get oil to bearings than it is with engine running to fill filter and get oil to the bearings.
The debate should be... is it worth the trouble?
How much the load varies is the first discussion. What are you defining as much less, and what is that opinion based on?

There is also a discussion around using the starter vs a running motor, and how the that drive changes the load profile. Some components are under negative forces using the starter as compared to running. By example the combustion stroke, with no fuel becomes a vacuum stroke driven by the starter. That may be a small thing, but changes the load, wear patterns, and worthy of as much consideration as the load variance between starting and running rpm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no chance flood start can have any actual benefit, but most of the support for it seems to based on some youtuber clown, and the natural response of 'lubrication is good, and slow is usually better'.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
cylinder pressure.
You like to argue. I don't. Have fun.
Sponsored