[Updated] Ranger Ford Performance Power Pack Performance Tune Software (M-9603-REB) Released!

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Is it true that Ford won’t do the tune if you’re running 33s? That’s a huge drawback to me personally.
Any change in MPG? Any experience towing? Thank you!!!
No towing. I am starting with 21.6 mpg combined right now so I will see where it goes. Haven’t driven much lately. I could see where mileage would be better because it takes a lot less throttle to drive it now.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
No towing. I am starting with 21 mpg combined right now so I will see where it goes. Haven’t driven much lately. I could see where mileage would be better because it takes a lot less throttle to drive it now.
I have been driving nearly every day since I got the tune, though only short distances in the hilly roads through the woods around my home. (The wife and I have both been working from home since the pandemic started.) I love the tune for the enhanced performance that it gets out of the 2.3 Liter-engine, but it does seem to be using more gas, that is, getting slightly lower mileage, down to 18.8 for the first time since we bought the truck. This may be the nature of the tuned engine, or the new Falcon Wildpeaks that I put on the same day we flashed the tune (heavier and more "rolling resistance" than stock), or because I just enjoy punching it even more than before! Just saying....

zhuskers1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
What are the negatives or downside to doing this tune (if any)?

thanks!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

thanks!!
Speeding tickets. lol ?

I have the Livernois tune and it really hard to not get on it.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have been driving nearly every day since I got the tune, though only short distances in the hilly roads through the woods around my home. (The wife and I have both been working from home since the pandemic started.) I love the tune for the enhanced performance that it gets out of the 2.3 Liter-engine, but it does seem to be using more gas, that is, getting slightly lower mileage, down to 18.8 for the first time since we bought the truck. This may be the nature of the tuned engine, or the new Falcon Wildpeaks that I put on the same day we flashed the tune (heavier and more "rolling resistance" than stock), or because I just enjoy punching it even more than before! Just saying....
Are those Wildpeaks bigger than stock? If so, could that be impacting your MPG calculation?

gcan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
my tune just delivered and was able to get it scheduled to install this Monday. My local dealer has not done one before and seemed hesitant to do it so I sent the instructions and even a link to this thread so they could review. In the end they have me scheduled for Monday.
My question - is there anything I could/should do in advance to assist or to help the dealer with my install?
thanks in advance

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
my tune just delivered and was able to get it scheduled to install this Monday. My local dealer has not done one before and seemed hesitant to do it so I sent the instructions and even a link to this thread so they could review. In the end they have me scheduled for Monday.
My question - is there anything I could/should do in advance to assist or to help the dealer with my install?
thanks in advance
It’s pretty simple. I’m sure they will figure it out.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
thanks in advance
So I don't expect this can necessarily be repeated but here's what I did. My small town Ford dealer has a used car and oil change location on the other side of town. I explained to the service manager (I know all of the mgrs at the dealership and drive cars from auction for them) that I wanted to pick up the package - had them order so I could use my points - and do everything but the actual install, he agreed. I got the tool ready for the final step. Then I asked could I get the other location to put in the K/N and push the last button essentially making the install done by the dealer. They charged me the time it took to do the K/N which was 15 min or about $6....and away I went....love it. Instructions are pretty simple and if the dealer hasn't done it like mine hadn't they may cooperate and save you the hour at most it takes to get the tool ready for the final step.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Are those Wildpeaks bigger than stock? If so, could that be impacting your MPG calculation?
No, they are 265/60/R18, same as the stock Hankooks, but heavier and with more aggressive tread. I am not complaining about the loss of MPG, as I had assumed upgrading to the Wildpeaks would give me better traction but poorer mileage. To be fair, to see how it all balances out, we will have to wait for things to get back to normal after the pandemic in order to return to daily driving to work, etc. More freeway miles will naturally bring the MPG back up; how far, we cannot say yet.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

thanks!!
Not really a downside of the tune itself, but I will just repeat what the sales manager at my Ford dealer told me after they had flashed the tune. Keep the tuning tool "under lock and key," he warned. They have had some drivers who had had tunes done and then brought their trucks in for unrelated work but did not have the tool with them. It was a "party," he said, to work on their trucks in that case, which he meant in the negative sense of being all over the place trying to figure out workarounds! As to the tuned truck itself, I love it, much better shifting, smoother, and more powerful in both Drive and Sport. Drive now becomes what Sport used to be, and Sport moves up the ladder to make way.... I do think that MPG has dropped a bit, but this may be related to the increased urge to enjoy the turbo. No tickets so far, but the temptation is there, more so than before....

Last edited:

Hightork

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
I'm more of a reader than a writer, but maybe this info will help someone make a decision one way or the other.
I ordered the tune from Levitown Ford on Monday and it arrived yesterday. I registered/updated the ProCal 4 (10 minutes) and pulled the stock file from the Ranger (15 minutes) , then uploaded stock file on my PC and received/installed the performance tune on the ProCal 4 (3 minutes). I called a buddy who owns a successful automotive shop (A.S.E.) to hit the button to download performance tune (7 minutes), cost me a whopping $28.50 because he had to hook up his battery minder as a precaution per the instruction recommendations. I took a 30 minute test drive and am very satisfied with the smooth shifts and confident acceleration. Mileage seems about the same so far. It is surely a noticeable upgrade and for me worth the cost. I did not install the K/N filter (bad experience with my Mustang GT)
I have 5000 miles on my Ranger and enjoy it's capabilities. I pull a 20 foot, 4200 # travel trailer 100 miles each way about every couple of months. My previous truck was a 2018 TRD Offroad Tacoma, which I had re-geared to 4.88"s. The Tacoma still didn't like towing and had a really awkward shifting transmission, which frankly made towing a hassle to keep a steady 65 MPH. This Ranger in stock form pulls like a Champ, I'm impressed how well it tows. Now I am eager to see how it does for our Labor Day weekend trip.
Side note: I have 285/55/R20 (32.1") Wildpeak's. The tire size adjustment tool deliberates by rev/mile, so it can adjust beyond a 31.5" tire.

Last edited:

RangerRick19

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'm more of a reader than a writer, but maybe this info will help someone make a decision one way or the other.
I ordered the tune from Levitown Ford on Monday and it arrived yesterday. I registered/updated the ProCal 4 (10 minutes) and pulled the stock file from the Ranger (15 minutes) , then uploaded stock file on my PC and received/installed the performance tune on the ProCal 4 (3 minutes). I called a buddy who owns a successful automotive shop (A.S.E.) to hit the button to download performance tune (7 minutes), cost me a whopping $28.50 because he had to hook up his battery minder as a precaution per the instruction recommendations. I took a 30 minute test drive and am very satisfied with the smooth shifts and confident acceleration. Mileage seems about the same so far. It is surely a noticeable upgrade and for me worth the cost. I did not install the K/N filter (bad experience with my Mustang GT)
I have 5000 miles on my Ranger and enjoy it's capabilities. I pull a 20 foot, 4200 # travel trailer 100 miles each way about every couple of months. My previous truck was a 2018 TRD Offroad Tacoma, which I had re-geared to 4.88"s. The Tacoma still didn't like towing and had a really awkward shifting transmission, which frankly made towing a hassle to keep a steady 65 MPH. This Ranger in stock form pulls like a Champ, I'm impressed how well it tows. Now I am eager to see how it does for our Labor Day weekend trip.
Side note: I have 285/55/R20 (32.1") Wildpeak's. The tire size adjustment tool deliberates by rev/mile, so it can adjust beyond a 31.5" tire.
Would you say the shifting is changed at all with the FPT? Sometimes the 10 speed can be so clunky for me.