First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Some members may not believe this but I'd like to know exactly when and what does the first scheduled maintenance entails for my 2020 Lariat.

Presently the truck has a whopping 260 miles (yes, you read that right) and was delivered on Jan. 18, 2020.
All I can find is that the engine oil and filter needs to be replaced after a year in service. The oil life status shown on my FordPass app shows it as 100%, I know that this system takes into account mileage of the vehicle, but what about time in service?

My selling dealer is telling me that the oil should have been changed after 6 months, which is ridiculous in my situation. When I asked for official FoMoCo documentation to validate this requirement they backpedaled, simply because such documentation is non-existent.

So, should I just change the oil/oil filter, enter that into my FordPass app and be done with it? Sure seems like a waste of "Texas Tea", even if it is non-synthetic...
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
So, should I just change the oil/oil filter, enter that into my FordPass app and be done with it? YES
Your manual says to never go beyond one year or 10,000 miles between oil changes (Page 413 on version 2). I too have low mileage (certainly not so low as yours) and I changed the oil after 8 months with 1800 miles on it and the oil life indicator showed 29%. Since I will only change the oil yearly, I used a full synthetic oil rather than the blend that Ford uses.

Don't forget to perform the Oil Life reset.

Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
The oil life status shown on my FordPass app shows it as 100%, I know that this system takes into account mileage of the vehicle, but what about time in service?
Did you check what the truck says the remaining oil life is? When everything is communicating correctly, the app/Fordpass gets its data from the vehicle.

I would expect the time factor to be telling you it’s time to change the oil.

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
Mine was built Dec 2019. Took ownership Oct 2020. Now have 3300km. App is showing 76% oil life.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I have 3331 miles and I bought it new March 2020. When I had some wheel stuff done in October I went ahead and had them do an oil change even though I only had something like 1600 miles on it. Come March this year Ill go ahead and change it again even though I will still be far below 5,000 total miles since purchase.

I use the CarFax app to track my maintenance items. It will do both miles or time.

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If you are not going by mileage because you dont drive the truck then your best option is to change the oil once a year. Also if possible please drive the truck more. Why you ask? It isnt good for any vehicle to just sit and do nothing.

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f 150/2020 Polaris sportsman
Occupation
retired tin knocker local 12 Pittsburgh
Some members may not believe this but I'd like to know exactly when and what does the first scheduled maintenance entails for my 2020 Lariat.

Presently the truck has a whopping 260 miles (yes, you read that right) and was delivered on Jan. 18, 2020.
All I can find is that the engine oil and filter needs to be replaced after a year in service. The oil life status shown on my FordPass app shows it as 100%, I know that this system takes into account mileage of the vehicle, but what about time in service?

My selling dealer is telling me that the oil should have been changed after 6 months, which is ridiculous in my situation. When I asked for official FoMoCo documentation to validate this requirement they backpedaled, simply because such documentation is non-existent.

So, should I just change the oil/oil filter, enter that into my FordPass app and be done with it? Sure seems like a waste of "Texas Tea", even if it is non-synthetic...
yes change oil n filter it free or 35 bucs change it

Reactions: Doc

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The manual gives your maintenance schedule.
The app also gives your maintenance schedule.

Screenshot_20210115-194946.png

The dealer/shop won't tell you the correct interval because they want you to come in as often as possible to give them more money. That's why I always throw away the little upper corner of the window oil change reminder they put in right away.
dumb answer always change fluids 35 40 bucs Please

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks to all who responded, your comments were useful and humorous.
For what it's worth I bought a Motorcraft FL-910S filter and 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 full synthetic from Autozone today.
I was surprised they had the filter in stock and bought a Motorcraft part to appease the Ford Gods...
The filter itself sure is tiny, a far cry from FL-1's or Fram PH-8A's, but it is what it is (I've almost always used WIX in the past).
I'll perform this maintenance this Sunday, Jan. 17, exactly 364 days after I took delivery of it last year.
Mahalo gang!

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you are not going by mileage because you dont drive the truck then your best option is to change the oil once a year. Also if possible please drive the truck more. Why you ask? It isnt good for any vehicle to just sit and do nothing.
Kinda "salting" the truck, if you will...however island environment does a very good job of that already.
Besides Honolulu is infested with idiot motorists, for that reason I tool around in my beater '02 Honda CR-V, it's proven effective at pushing "Smart" cars driven by not so smart drivers who park behind me, totally blocking me in, and it's just a 4x2 with 320K miles!

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks to all who responded, your comments were useful and humorous.
For what it's worth I bought a Motorcraft FL-910S filter and 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 full synthetic from Autozone today.
I was surprised they had the filter in stock and bought a Motorcraft part to appease the Ford Gods...
The filter itself sure is tiny, a far cry from FL-1's or Fram PH-8A's, but it is what it is (I've almost always used WIX in the past).
I'll perform this maintenance this Sunday, Jan. 17, exactly 364 days after I took delivery of it last year.
Mahalo gang!
Keep your receipts for warranty compliance.

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's a dumb answer to follow the prescribed maintenance schedule outlined by Ford?
WAS NOT SAYING YOU ARE DUMB. SORRY IF YOU TOOK IT THAT WAY. I HAVE FRIENDS WITH CLASSIC CARS THEY DRIVE VERY LITTLE AT LEAST OUNCE A YEAR CHANGE OIL SOME OF MY BUDDYS CHANGE BRAKE FLUID. I THINK OIL GREASE TRANNY FLIUD BREAK DOWN WHEN A CAR/TRUCKS SIT FOR A WHILLE (sorry about caps)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Correct me if mistaken but doesn’t Ford use a special blend of motor oil from factory exclusively for break in. Then after that comes what will be used over its lifecycle.