Unusual situation

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Correct me if mistaken but doesn’t Ford use a special blend of motor oil from factory exclusively for break in. Then after that comes what will be used over its lifecycle.
A long time ago....in a different age. I think I remember hearing something about that.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
After some digging I found this. I suspect this is what they’re using or something pretty close to it.

Zinc and phosphorus anti-wear additives (usually referred to as ZDDP) are heat-activated, meaning they provide wear protection in areas of increased friction. In this case, it’s at the cam lobe/tappet interface, pistons and sleeves.

Reactions: Doc

slickville dave

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f 150/2020 Polaris sportsman
Occupation
retired tin knocker local 12 Pittsburgh
Thanks to all who responded, your comments were useful and humorous.
For what it's worth I bought a Motorcraft FL-910S filter and 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 full synthetic from Autozone today.
I was surprised they had the filter in stock and bought a Motorcraft part to appease the Ford Gods...
The filter itself sure is tiny, a far cry from FL-1's or Fram PH-8A's, but it is what it is (I've almost always used WIX in the past).
I'll perform this maintenance this Sunday, Jan. 17, exactly 364 days after I took delivery of it last year.
Mahalo gang!
please send large box of sunshine iam from Pittsburgh ish only see sun in books

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
It's beneficial to do your first oil change early, IMO.
The internal moving parts can generate a lot of metal particles, slivers and chips as they are "getting to know one another" early on. I've always done the first change early on all my vehicles......with the new bikes I've purchased the breaking in wear is obvious. It shows up on the magnetized drain plugs for the engine oil and shaft drive final gear lubrication.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
It's beneficial to do your first oil change early, IMO.
The internal moving parts can generate a lot of metal particles, slivers and chips as they are "getting to know one another" early on. I've always done the first change early on all my vehicles......with the new bikes I've purchased the breaking in wear is obvious. It shows up on the magnetized drain plugs for the engine oil and shaft drive lubrication.
Excellent advice! I've done all maintenance and repairs on all family vehicles since 1976, been a professional mechanic since then. And yes, I've seen some interesting things in oil sumps...and in vehicles/marine craft since.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
please send large box of sunshine iam from Pittsburgh ish only see sun in books
Will pictures do? BTW we've been undergoing a cold snap here in Honolulu, the temperature @ 0600 today was a frigid 68 degrees. People are dressed up as though they are going on an Arctic expedition, brrrrr...lol

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Will pictures do? BTW we've been undergoing a cold snap here in Honolulu, the temperature @ 0600 today was a frigid 68 degrees. People are dressed up as though they are going on an Arctic expedition, brrrrr...lol
#$@& you! ?
Sponsored