Unknown fan-like sound

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
Update #1:
I made an appointment with the dealership to take a look at the Ranger. I received a call from the service department advisor notifying me that the carrier bearing is shot and needs to be replaced. It's under warranty thankfully. The downside is that it has to be ordered nationally and will take until Monday to arrive. They'll be offering a loaner for me to drive for the time being.
🥳

Hey y'all,

In the last month I have noticed that while in drive I'm hearing a fan-like noise when my foot is on the gas, when coasting and automatically down shifting. It's not a noise I'm used to hearing. I thought it was some sound coming from the rear cab since I had the seat off to access the hidden storage compartment but that was not the case. While letting off the gas and coasting down a mountain the sound would grow a bit louder after 40-50mph. But when I'm on the highway it's not as noticeable.

Planning on a week trip so I'm curious if I should bring it to the shop in case it's a transmission issue. I don't notice any difficulties driving or any lights popping up on the dash, so I really have no clue what this is.

hc713l7kjam41.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I am not sure this is the same, but just the other day I noticed a very faint noise that seemed to come from the vents, but it was engine RPM related. If I turned of the climate control, all was silent. It was really weird.

OP
OP
ThatsAMonkey

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure this is the same, but just the other day I noticed a very faint noise that seemed to come from the vents, but it was engine RPM related. If I turned of the climate control, all was silent. It was really weird.
I was thinking of the vents as well. Turned the music off, turned climate control off, opened/closed the windows.. and the noise was still there. I'll probably send an email to the shop and see if they recommend having the truck dropped off or not.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
There are only 2 things that come to mind for when coasting noise.

1. Clutch Fan - Freewheeling
2. OAD - Alternator Pully, this is more a ratcheting clicking noise but may be affecting the Fan Clutch speed along the belt drive.

Mr Phatnold

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
We have a droning fan sound that comes and goes. It turns off when we turn off the hvac fan. The dealer said they would need the truck for three days to check it out. Any thoughts?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey y'all,

In the last month I have noticed that while in drive I'm hearing a fan-like noise when my foot is on the gas, when coasting and automatically down shifting. It's not a noise I'm used to hearing. I thought it was some sound coming from the rear cab since I had the seat off to access the hidden storage compartment but that was not the case. While letting off the gas and coasting down a mountain the sound would grow a bit louder after 40-50mph. But when I'm on the highway it's not as noticeable.

Planning on a week trip so I'm curious if I should bring it to the shop in case it's a transmission issue. I don't notice any difficulties driving or any lights popping up on the dash, so I really have no clue what this is.

hc713l7kjam41.jpg
First time I lost signal in the mountain, I was like "why is my truck making so much weird noises"...

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
We have a droning fan sound that comes and goes. It turns off when we turn off the hvac fan. The dealer said they would need the truck for three days to check it out. Any thoughts?
It sounds like the Blower Motor, under the passenger side glove box, might have leaves inside and creating an unbalanced blower wheel.
Fairly easy to pull out and inspect plus a good idea to check the cabin filter as well, might be blocked with debris

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Yeah sounds like rodents are building a nest on top of your cabin air filter, been there done that,

cleofis

First Name
cleofis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt
Occupation
spare time enthusiast
its your turbo 😋

OP
OP
ThatsAMonkey

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are only 2 things that come to mind for when coasting noise.

1. Clutch Fan - Freewheeling
2. OAD - Alternator Pully, this is more a ratcheting clicking noise but may be affecting the Fan Clutch speed along the belt drive.
Updated my first post but I want to let you know it was the carrier bearing that caused the noise. Good thing I had the truck looked at before going on a trip to Maine!
Sponsored