Ughhhhhhhh. Trucks, HOAs, and Garages...

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like my wife and I may be relocating from Marietta, GA to Boca Raton, FL - and because of that we've started looking for a home on Zillow. Most of the homes we've looked at are in HOA/country club communities, and I've started poking around and reading some the HOA rules. One home we liked had an HOA rule of no trucks, vans, commercial vehicles in the driveway - including non-commercial pick-up trucks. So it looks like I need to measure the overall height of my truck and bring a tape measure with me to Florida when we look at homes. Arghhhhhhhhh.

Anybody here with a lifted Ranger able to cram their Ranger into their garage? I have a 3.5" lift and RTT mounted!!!!! I don't think mine fits in my current home's garage.
2021-07-24 09.54.29.jpg

2021-07-24 09.54.51.jpg
Sponsored

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
standard garage hieght door is 7'. looks like you might squeeze in maybe. The real question is length. Most garages are barely 20-22' interior length. Door opening is only a part of the issue, making sure you have a long enough garage to park siad truck and walk around it is another story.

those HOA country club cookie cutter homes? bar minimum length to put a small car in. you might be able to squeeze in the truck, but opening the doors, etc inside will be a pain.

I would find another community/area.

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
It looks like my wife and I may be relocating from Marietta, GA to Boca Raton, FL - and because of that we've started looking for a home on Zillow. Most of the homes we've looked at are in HOA/country club communities, and I've started poking around and reading some the HOA rules. One home we liked had an HOA rule of no trucks, vans, commercial vehicles in the driveway - including non-commercial pick-up trucks. So it looks like I need to measure the overall height of my truck and bring a tape measure with me to Florida when we look at homes. Arghhhhhhhhh.

Anybody here with a lifted Ranger able to cram their Ranger into their garage? I have a 3.5" lift and RTT mounted!!!!! I don't think mine fits in my current home's garage.
2021-07-24 09.54.29.jpg

2021-07-24 09.54.51.jpg
it's all about entry velocity

Zeroedin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Roush Edition
Having lived in SWFL for the past 30 years I’m familiar with this. I wouldn’t rule out anything before checking the most recent HOA docs/rules and regs. Many communities have softened their position over the last 10 years as trucks have become so commonplace. Many, like ours, have been rewritten to specify that the truck can’t have any permanent commercial signage attached….yet the fine print does allow non-commercial trucks to be parked in the driveway overnight. I’m not sure where you’re pulling the docs, and they may be current and accurate…but I guess my point would be to work with a realtor who’s familiar with this type of situation and will be able to narrow your search. Here on the west coast the attitude has definitely shifted to become more accepting of trucks in the driveway, and updated rules are reflecting that.

Another consideration is the garage door height. Older communities tend to offer a 6-ft garage door as the “builder grade” standard (I don’t recall what the actual height is but they’re taller than 6 feet). In recent years, 8-foot garage doors have become more the norm in the mid to higher end communities. That would be your ideal find.

Anyway, good luck in the hunt!

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think about the realtor - gonna shoot him a note now.

We've looked online at a lot of 3 car garage houses, or houses with 2 car garages with a golf cart garage adjacent to the car bays. I'm definitely bringing a tape measure with me! My wife will be PISSED when we end up in a house with my Mustang and Ranger parked indoors while her Escape is relegated to the driveway! ?

Jmiller

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
I actually grew up in Boca Raton, my family still lives down there. As mentioned above, some neighborhoods have relaxed that a bit. The one I grew up in had that same rule but there are trucks all throughout the neighborhood. Granted most vehicles are stock. Are you looking in East Boca or West?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
If the door is like the ones in my subdivision, you're going to be out of luck. My stock Tremor clears in by an inch. Had to remove the factory antenna mast to be able to back out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here no commercial vehicles can be parked outside, it seems strange that the HOA would have it so no trucks can be parked in the driveway. One thing I can say after living in an HOA (never had one back east) is I would NEVER live in one again! I know it's tough but try and find one that doesn't have a HOA. You're constantly getting notices for stupid stuff like a weed that just so happened to pop up the day before they drive by. Plus they're always raising the monthly fees and you have no say in what goes on.

OP
OP
Glocker

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually grew up in Boca Raton, my family still lives down there. As mentioned above, some neighborhoods have relaxed that a bit. The one I grew up in had that same rule but there are trucks all throughout the neighborhood. Granted most vehicles are stock. Are you looking in East Boca or West?
We are looking pretty much in a 30 minute radius of Boca - so as far north as the lower end of Lake Worth and as far south as the top end of Ft. Lauderdale. I've noticed that the west side has larger homes that are newer, and I'm kind of aiming out there because I want a little bit of yard for our dogs. My wife is interviewing for a job in the I-95/W. Yamato Rd. area.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I didn't think about the realtor - gonna shoot him a note now.

We've looked online at a lot of 3 car garage houses, or houses with 2 car garages with a golf cart garage adjacent to the car bays. I'm definitely bringing a tape measure with me! My wife will be PISSED when we end up in a house with my Mustang and Ranger parked indoors while her Escape is relegated to the driveway! ?
John you'll just have to sell the Ranger and get a golf cart now. Soon enough you'll have a whole bunch of new friends and this will be your DD. ?

Golf Carts.jpg

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Your RTT is too tall.

I have a non-lifted/leveled FX4, with a Yakima RTT mounted on a Yakima Outpost rack. I have about 1-2" of clearance with my garage at 83" (6' 11"). I think if I leveled the truck, I could still fit in, as the back half of the truck would not really raise any. See my profile picture ;)

As other said, also look at length. I migrate between two houses. One garage is too short for my Ranger, so when there it has to stay outside :(

You could look for less restrictive HOAs. My mom lives in GA and has a similar HOA, if not stricter. I parked my Ranger there for a week, but she did have to let the HOA know it was a visitor.