Turbosmart Kompact

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
I have one installed and you shouldn't hear anything while on the gas at low boost. The main thing I can think of is making sure you didn't forget to install the o-ring at the base or that the o-ring didn't fall out of its groove when installed. I used a little grease on the ring to make sure it sealed.

The only other thing that could be wrong is if you forgot to plug it in or the connection isn't correct. If that's the case, the boost may just leak out the recirculation tube and you'd hear it from the airbox?
I just purchased the latest version of the kompact And the orientation when you install it does not matter with the new version. With the older version it has to be orientated in the correct position. If you call Richard at Turbo smart he can give you a wealth of information. And yes that O ring can be a bugger to get around the valve and stay there.
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Ok, possibly dumb question here: I've got the Livernois tune, which I understand increases boost pressure a bit. Should I be replacing the factory BOV with something else? I don't necessarily want the typical BOV sound, but I don't want to damage the factory BOV due to needing to deal with more pressure, either.

Also, how hard is the replacement job, if I decide to do so?

Thanks in advance!

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, possibly dumb question here: I've got the Livernois tune, which I understand increases boost pressure a bit. Should I be replacing the factory BOV with something else? I don't necessarily want the typical BOV sound, but I don't want to damage the factory BOV due to needing to deal with more pressure, either.

Also, how hard is the replacement job, if I decide to do so?

Thanks in advance!
Seems like the stock valve can handle a tune just fine. The only time you really "need" to replace it is if you want the sound or are adding a bunch more boost like upgrading the turbo.

Installing a new BOV is the easiest thing you can do to the truck and takes 15 min. Probably faster than installing a tune if you know what you're doing.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Seems like the stock valve can handle a tune just fine. The only time you really "need" to replace it is if you want the sound or are adding a bunch more boost like upgrading the turbo.

Installing a new BOV is the easiest thing you can do to the truck and takes 15 min. Probably faster than installing a tune if you know what you're doing.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't love the sound of a turbo sneezing it's BOV all the time (neighbor has a Kia sedan that does this as he pulls out of the driveway and heads off down the street... it's annoying to me, but to each his own, right?) and I don't want to mess with installing a bigger turbo or anything. The stock config with the Livernois tune is more than enough for me.

Glad to know it's super easy to swap out in case I ever change my mind though. Cheers!

Reactions: Doc

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification. I don't love the sound of a turbo sneezing it's BOV all the time (neighbor has a Kia sedan that does this as he pulls out of the driveway and heads off down the street... it's annoying to me, but to each his own, right?) and I don't want to mess with installing a bigger turbo or anything. The stock config with the Livernois tune is more than enough for me.

Glad to know it's super easy to swap out in case I ever change my mind though. Cheers!
Just a FYI, Turbo smart makes a both types of valves. One that makes a sound and one that doesn't. So, if you really wanted to upgrade you can without the sound.

Also, the BOV for our truck is not loud at all. You can only hear it when the truck hits 15 psi or more. That only happens when you are full throttle or the truck is under load like climbing a steep hill or pulling something.

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Did either of you figure this out? I installed yesterday and notice I have the same noise now at low boost conditions, mainly in 8th gear. Thanks.
Nope, never figured it out and do not notice any issues after running it as is all this time ~3k miles. It does sound like the sound comes from the airbox though...

When flooring it and when I see 21 PSI or so I do not hear that whooshing sound at all.

clowd9

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Geologist
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, never figured it out and do not notice any issues after running it as is all this time ~3k miles. It does sound like the sound comes from the airbox though...

When flooring it and when I see 21 PSI or so I do not hear that whooshing sound at all.
Glad it hasn't caused any noticeable issues.

I did uninstall, and reinstall. But on the reinstall I tightened it down more than the first time. The part of the BPV that extends into the charge pipe with the smaller o-ring I suspect is the culprit. I think that tightening the whole thing down more allowed that o-ring to seal better. This would support the idea it's coming from the airbox. If that bottom o-ring wasn't sealed completely, the recirculation entry from the charge pipe into the intake would have a leak. Not sure why it would appear under low boost and not WOT. But, the problem seems to be solved for now. I will report back if the problem reappears.

paquete305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Glad it hasn't caused any noticeable issues.

I did uninstall, and reinstall. But on the reinstall I tightened it down more than the first time. The part of the BPV that extends into the charge pipe with the smaller o-ring I suspect is the culprit. I think that tightening the whole thing down more allowed that o-ring to seal better. This would support the idea it's coming from the airbox. If that bottom o-ring wasn't sealed completely, the recirculation entry from the charge pipe into the intake would have a leak. Not sure why it would appear under low boost and not WOT. But, the problem seems to be solved for now. I will report back if the problem reappears.

Just recently removed it again and put it back on. In the removal process, I noticed that the o-ring was pinched so I repositioned it, added some grease, and tightened the BOV as much as I could.

Haven't had the whooshing noise since. If anyone is having this issue, I recommend removing your BOV and seeing if you o-ring is out of position or not. I thought mine was fine, but it was not.
Sponsored