TUNERS, HORSEPOWER, TORQUE AND ON AND ON....

jrscobra

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat Crewcab
Occupation
Fleet Vehicle Sales at a Ford Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
So, Ive had my Ranger for about seven months. Love it. Ive been watching the posts and cant seem to find happiness with anything I've read from aftermarket tuners. I hear about poor shift patterns and odd actions. It seems the best bet is the Stage 1 Roush Perf. Package with 47hp.

Its not 90. But its warranty friendly. Its straight forward.. might as well do that and keep it simple.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Tons of threads on this, and I can only talk about my experience.

My signature is up to date with Mods completed to date, and I think that the Livernois tuner\tune I went with was the biggest impact in terms of performance pickup.

I did notice harder shifts and such initially, but as the trans-learn completed I dont have that problem anymore, and I dont notice anything in terms of harsh shifting anymore. You can tell, at WOT now, when your moving between gears, but thats WOT so its to be expected.

I can't speak for other companies and im not trying to sell services\products for any one group, only talking about my experience.

In terms of "Seat of the pants improvements" here is my ranking in terms of things I noticed dramatic improvements doing.

1. Livernois Tuning - (Intake and Turbosmart BPV were installed at this time)
2. Downpipe - (Retuned from Livernois for the Downpipe)
3. Catback
4. Intake\BPV

The Downpipe and retune were the next big improvements that I noticed that really made a difference. I went from a catback\intake\BPV with Tune, to a Downpipe with a retune and it was night and day difference especially above 3k rpm.

Hopefully my recounting of my own personal experiences has helped you.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You won't go wrong with Roush.

That is probably the best of the "warranty-friendly" solutions and nobody can dispute their performance credentials.
I agree with this if you're looking for warranty but the Ford Performance tune does that too. I've read where some had issue with the install on the FP tune but it sounds like most were because of dealer error.

I love my Livernois tune and would highly recommend it as long as you can live without the warranty. You get 5 different tunes and can change them out in a matter of 2-3 minutes. Since running the 91-93 performance tune my mpg actually went up around 2 mpg as long as I drive it somewhat normal. For the money and the performance gains this tune is great along with outstanding customer service from Livernois!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely doing a Livernois. LOL

However, as @jrscobra described the goals, Roush is a great choice for them.
I don't have a tune (yet), but have read some threads where people had issues with the Roush tune and the fact that it did not save the original factory tune. Couldn't take the truck back to stock to correct the issue they were having. I'm definitely leaning to the Livernois tune when I do one.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Everyone on here will have their own opinion as to what to use. I myself prefer livernois's. I prefer them for quite a few reasons. For one they do have a tow tune which I use as my daily as it has already cleaned up the fuel tables and is more emphasis on low to mid-range power which is great for daily driving Towing and going off road. Also let's say I need to revert back to stock for X reason I can still do so. Yes you have a truck and I'm sure there are going to be times you will be Towing. Will it be every day? Probably not and if you were you probably would have gotten a F-150 or something bigger. For the overall performance you will be impressed with Livernois. Also their Tunes are for life. So let's say they add a tune that is available for the trucks while you have your tuner you can get it for free. It's not like five star and other brands that make you pay for extra Tunes. That is my input on this and I hope it helps you.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yup everyone will have a difference of opinion on the "tune" topic! I currently have Unleashed 93 octane tune installed. Torrie, in my opinion, is great! Super responsive and doesn't take the tune to the edge...usable safe power! Unleashed also tuned my last two Focus ST's. He has a lot of Ecoboost experience. I also have a tune from Gearheads which I really like also! I think Gearheads is a little more stout but not quite as smooth. My 2 cents!

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yup everyone will have a difference of opinion on the "tune" topic! I currently have Unleashed 93 octane tune installed. Torrie, in my opinion, is great! Super responsive and doesn't take the tune to the edge...usable safe power! Unleashed also tuned my last two Focus ST's. He has a lot of Ecoboost experience. I also have a tune from Gearheads which I really like also! I think Gearheads is a little more stout but not quite as smooth. My 2 cents!
I almost went with Torrie based on @Doc recommendation but I didn't like there was no phone support only email. To his credit Torrie did respond fast when I emailed him but I just like being able to pick up the phone and call when I have questions or problems. Trust me I usually have issues. :giggle:

With Livernois they have GREAT customer service and every time I've called they all have been very helpful. Plus I like the fact you get all of their tunes (5) not just one or two and have to pay extra for more. Also you get free lifetime tunes if they develop more and if you change vehicles you can have them re-flash your MyCal to the new vehicle for free, you just pay the shipping.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Big fan of the Ford Performance Tune so far. Good power increase. Doesn't void warranty. Big improvement in shift schedule. Small improvements in fuel economy even.

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
I went with Livernois mainly because I wanted more power than what the Ford tune puts out and also because I have had a Livernois tune in my Mustang for the past 3 years with no issues and absolutely love it. As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago I decided to run the flex fuel tune in my Mustang and it's been great. Livernois provides you with all the tunes for your vehicle at no extra cost.

I will say I have nothing against going with Ford. I sold my Focus ST to buy my Ranger and it had the Ford Tune on it with which I was very satisfied. I knew I left some power on the table but I wanted to retain the warranty back then. Having been a Livernois customer since 2017 with no issues, I feel confident in the tunes they provide.

Tueltschi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Auto Painter
So, Ive had my Ranger for about seven months. Love it. Ive been watching the posts and cant seem to find happiness with anything I've read from aftermarket tuners. I hear about poor shift patterns and odd actions. It seems the best bet is the Stage 1 Roush Perf. Package with 47hp.

Its not 90. But its warranty friendly. Its straight forward.. might as well do that and keep it simple.

Thoughts?
I put the Ford Motorsports tune on mine. Love it smoothed out the shifts more power and great mileage running 92 Octane and it comes with a 3year 36 mile warranty
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc