Tuned Ford Ranger goes 0-60 in 5.49s! [NGauge Tune]

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've modded, tuned and driven just about every vehicle I have owned hard and I've never had an issue.
The way this works is that some engines can get pushed harder than others because there are variations across the production run. The manufacturer does some modeling and some testing and sets the parameters to a point where they minimize warranty issues across the entire supply, not to the point where each individual unit hits its max potential. Can some of them be run much higher? Sure. Will some of them break with the same parameters? Yup. If you want to roll the dice, go for it. Just do it with the knowledge that you're on your own if you do so. And don't be so sleazy as to (try to) lie about what you did and get the manufacturer to pay for your mistakes if your particular unit turns out to be from the bad end of the bell curve--Ford sold you an engine that guarantee with their settings (and they'll pay if it turns out your unit was at the very bad end of the bell curve, because that also happens) but they didn't guarantee it to work with any settings (even if it might). On average there are probably more units that left performance on the table, because making the numbers a little lower costs a lot less than warranty service, but that's an average and average means some winners and some losers.

"It worked for me" isn't really a very useful data point since there are counter examples of "it blew up for me". Unless you're Ford you probably don't have very good data on outcomes across all units and specific numbers of how many successes vs failures there are.
Sponsored

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Short answer is... tune it if you are willing to accept the engine could ( dependent on your tuner) throw a rod (not that likely with 100hp added). Plenty of data on both sides of the fence to argue in either direction.

As to the engine itself... itā€™s a tank. Mustang variants handle 600hp to the wheels on the stock block and last awhile. Not to say itā€™s reliable at that power level. This 2.3 isnā€™t a poorly constructed lawn mower engine from the 90ā€™s... itā€™s a modern engineering work of beauty. :like:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The liner in the block failed if I remember correctly. I mean once you're pushing 300HP/liter everything is "close" :) Still impressive as hell in my opinion.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Most engines are designed to withstand extremely high tolerances. A tune and some bolt ons won't hurt much of anything. It's all a matter of your comfort level with being on your own if something breaks, but I've had a lot of positive experiences modding my vehicles.

Now with that, I know that you can't just remove a tune and fake a warranty claim. Every time you flash a car it is stored in the computer and they can see that. I've never hidden my mods but I do reflash back to stock so they don't mess anything up. Most dealerships I've dealt with were cool about my cars. A lot of times they go on about other customers who have a modded ST or their neighbor with the modded Saleen Mustang. Hell, I even let the service writer take my Dakota out for a spin. It's all in good fun. Car guys are just fun to be around and most people working at a dealership service center are car nuts. I've even gotten help installing cams and a new rear end in my truck from a guy at the dealership.

Deleted member 773

I talked to our fleet guy about this and he showed me a gen 2 raptor in their shop that literally had a hole blown through the side of the block (tuned for 700 hp), ford asked the tech if they where 100% percent sure it was from the tune, they said ā€œprobably, but I canā€™t say 100%ā€. Dude is getting a new motor. His take on tunes and aftermarket parts was ford doesnā€™t care at the end of the day, they want people driving their trucks and putting down ridiculous numbers. Look at the Sema show. Itā€™s mostly ford trucks. They want that exposure and they realize it may cost them some warranty claims but at the end of the day, itā€™s not a dealbreaker for them.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It also comes down to the guy approving the warranty. It took the fourth time for my seat warranty to finally get approved on my Fusion. The tearing is clearly not made but a knife like the guy claimed and the pictures showed it but it was denied 3 times. The final time was approved in less than an hour after it was submitted.

Airwelldone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport: 2017 Fiesta ST
Iā€™m running over 300 wheel Hp on my Fiesta ST with no issues yet (knock on wood) so I really want to see what our Rangers can reliably do. I noticed those dyno numbers were averaged, the peak numbers were even higher! At the end of the day...
We need electric fans.
Minor breather mods.
And a quality tune and this thing would be close to 400 at the wheels. Thatā€™s insanely awesome.
My over/under on the first 12 second Ranger is 5 weeks 2 days. Haha

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I got the N-Gauge in a week or so ago and installed it today. I thought I would be able to download the stock map and email it to 5-star so I could get my performance maps the first day they were available, I was wrong. Iā€™ve called them and verified that the N-Gauge wonā€™t even recognize the ā€˜19 Ranger until a Firmware upgrade for the N-Gauge has been completed, they are hoping for that by the end of the month. Then their custom maps will follow shortly thereafter.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have some mounting ideas for the Ngauge? I donā€™t really want to use a suction cup mount because itā€™s kinda tacky. Iā€™d love to have either vent mount, pillar mount, or some kind of dash mount.

HotPepper5gR

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
Anyone ordered the tune from 5startuning.com already? Have you received or heard of a possible release date?

HotPepper5gR

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
I got the N-Gauge in a week or so ago and installed it today. I thought I would be able to download the stock map and email it to 5-star so I could get my performance maps the first day they were available, I was wrong. Iā€™ve called them and verified that the N-Gauge wonā€™t even recognize the ā€˜19 Ranger until a Firmware upgrade for the N-Gauge has been completed, they are hoping for that by the end of the month. Then their custom maps will follow shortly thereafter.
They have a beta version available so your best bet is to email N-gauge and they should provide you with the latest version. Atleast that is how I was able to obtain it. Now only if 5star would release the tune already :explode:
Sponsored