Tuned Ford Ranger goes 0-60 in 5.49s! [NGauge Tune]

SchoolZoneSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
This mild of a tune really shouldn't effect reliability much on this engine. Keep in mind it is essentially a Focus RS engine with forged components, and this tune is bringing it up to about the same HP the RS has from the factory.

BUT the warranty response the guy gave was such a non-answer haha. Ford absolutely can deny a warranty claim on a tuned engine that fails. It's pretty unlikely, but it happens sometimes.
Sponsored

Smithers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Order placed. I'll probably daily run a 91 performance tune.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a good idea to wait until after the Ranger breaks in before doing the tune?

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Probably a good idea to wait until after the Ranger breaks in before doing the tune?
Yeah after the 1000 mile break-in it’s good to go.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is it really true what the guy in the vid said about Ford has to honor warranty regardless of modification?! Sounds too good to be true...

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
Is it really true what the guy in the vid said about Ford has to honor warranty regardless of modification?! Sounds too good to be true...

Yes and no. If the mod caused the failure then no. Unless it is a Ford supported, dealer installed and warrantied mod. Otherwise yes.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's bull. The manufacturer has to honor warranty unless they can show that a modification caused a problem. For example, they couldn't refuse warranty claim for broken door handle or MAF sensor due to an engine tune. But if you have engine/transmission problems and a tune that changes the operating parameters of the engine/transmission, that's a whole different story. Just looking at the video, the "before" shows the truck shifting below redline, the "after" shows the truck shifting above redline. I guess it's possible that Ford put the red line there for decoration, but if something breaks they're probably just going to say they told you not to do that rather than handing you money.

It's worth noting that was a "sponsored" video from TFL.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Think about it this way...

I'm Ford, I spend thousands of hours road testing, and lab testing, and whatever, then I decide on 270HP/310Ft/LBs. Then you go and jack that up by 33%, if/when your engine fails, I then deny your warranty on the basis that the vehicle was designed for 270HP/310FT/LB, and has been tested for thousands of hours with MY calibration. Even if they have no way of knowing what you did to the PCM (you could have de-tuned it for all they know as I don't believe this ECU has a backup flash) they can still argue the case that you modified a critical component to operate in a way that it was never designed to operate.

The judge will side with Ford, and that's assuming you have deep enough pockets to even file suit in the first place.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's bull. The manufacturer has to honor warranty unless they can show that a modification caused a problem. For example, they couldn't refuse warranty claim for broken door handle or MAF sensor due to an engine tune. But if you have engine/transmission problems and a tune that changes the operating parameters of the engine/transmission, that's a whole different story. Just looking at the video, the "before" shows the truck shifting below redline, the "after" shows the truck shifting above redline. I guess it's possible that Ford put the red line there for decoration, but if something breaks they're probably just going to say they told you not to do that rather than handing you money.

It's worth noting that was a "sponsored" video from TFL.
Thanks for the reply. Having been involved from within both Ford and GM's product design teams, I do know that the OEM almost always intentionally set their performance limits much lower than which they were designed to tolerate. This is done with the foreknowledge that a small percentage of their customers (us) will push the boundaries of their products performance envelope. For example, I'm not the only person with a Mini Cooper S who double the HP output and not suffered any dire consequences, other than using more tires LOL. The nice thing about this product is it's invisibility due to being able to restore to stock tune. If something relating to drive-line does break due to the enhanced power, set it back to stock-remove the tuner before bringing it for service :giggle:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Thanks for the reply. Having been involved from within both Ford and GM's product design teams, I do know that the OEM almost always intentionally set their performance limits much lower than which they were designed to tolerate. This is done with the foreknowledge that a small percentage of their customers (us) will push the boundaries of their products performance envelope. For example, I'm not the only person with a Mini Cooper S who double the HP output and not suffered any dire consequences, other than using more tires LOL. The nice thing about this product is it's invisibility due to being able to restore to stock tune. If something relating to drive-line does break due to the enhanced power, set it back to stock-remove the tuner before bringing it for service :giggle:
So, basically, try to lie to con someone else out of money?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Setting back to stock is "almost" a way around it. I know from the Focus ST groups that Ford can absolutely tell it was flashed, and if they didn't do it, then they have a "leg to stand on" when it comes to denying warranty claims.

As for the HP, of course the engine can handle it. The Focus RS is pushing 350/350 in stock form. They did have some block issues, but that section of the block has been beefed up a bit, so there shouldn't be any reason we couldn't push 300-310 all day long.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
So, basically, try to lie to con someone else out of money?
Ford can't tell exactly when something was flashed, but if you bring a vehicle in with a burned up transmission or a rod through the block, and the ECM only reflects a handfull of key cycles, they have all the proof they need to deny a warranty claim.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I've modded, tuned and driven just about every vehicle I have owned hard and I've never had an issue. My first car was a 1989 Ford Probe GT. I got it with 120k miles on her and swapped out the pcm, added a custom ram air intake, a custom ignition computer, a high performance ignition coil, a boost controller, headers, downpipe, exhaust, iridium plugs, etc. Stock boost was 7 psi with a 9 psi overboost. I had her cranked up to 16 psi as a daily and occasionally bumped it up to 18 psi. I drove that car to 230k miles without a single issue with the engine. Everything else had to be replaced as far as ac, water pump, power steering pump, both window actuators, new radiator, etc. but the engine and tranny purred like a well tammed tiger. The engine in the Ranger is built like a tank. If you read the article posted on this forum about how Ford modified the 2.3L for truck use, there is no way you can come away not impressed. It can definitely handle a lot more and run it daily without breaking a sweat. The 10 speed that it's paired with is equally up to the task. That same transmission with minor differences is also in the Raptor, paired with the 6.2L in the Silverado, paired with the Mustang and also in the Camero. All those applications are 400+ hp.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have from a reliable source that the new ECM's carry the flash count too, so if Ford flashes it, their system will record it, if you do it, their system will not. So if there are 4 flashes in the Ford system and 14 in the ECM, they will get suspicious. Now they hardly ever check it, but if you come in with a rod through the block, they are going to be looking at the ECM a little longer than you'd want them to.

EDIT: The Camaro ZL1 has the 10L90 (we have a 10R80) which is slightly beefier than ours, though the F150 has the 10R80 and has 400+ Ft/Lbs available, so I think we're good :)
Sponsored