Tune vs Sport - Objective Performance Data

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Like I get certain companies cannot sell things in California, but the rest of the country doesn't live by those nazi standards yet.
Edited for unfortunate truth.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Nope, it starts from build date and 0 miles.

I downloaded the Terms and Conditions and found it.

I updated my original post to include the terms.

Thinking about it, this makes sense as lots of folks would wait until 59k miles and then buy the tune and warranty for another 60k miles of warranty.

Not that people would take advantage of something like that but they surely would.
Weird. When I bought my warranty, 5Star emailed me to ask what my Odometer read so that way they could add the 50,000 miles to it for my warranty. But I read the Terms the same way I read any other ToS...

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Weird. When I bought my warranty, 5Star emailed me to ask what my Odometer read so that way they could add the 50,000 miles to it for my warranty. But I read the Terms the same way I read any other ToS...
I plan to call them to find out for sure. It seems clearly stated but everyone I have ever talked to that has added it, says it was added to whatever mileage they already had. Especially for people who buy the truck used but now want to add a tune, I would think they have access to the same warranty option as someone who bought it new...or even if you waited until your factory warranty expired to tune but you wanted protection after that. I definitely want to get some clarification.

Last edited:

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
I plan to call them to find out for sure. It seems clearly stated but everyone I have ever talked to that has added it, says it was added to whatever mileage they already had. Especially for people who buy the truck used but now want to add a tune, I would think they have access to the same warranty option as someone who bought it new...or even if you waited until your factory warranty expired to tune but you wanted protection after that. I definitely want to get some clarification.
That made me think I should call and buy more warranty, but they already have my VIN. Hey 5Star, wanna sell me more warranty? I'll buy it.

Reactions: Doc

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Better to email them and save the response. That way you have written proof if it ever becomes an issue.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Similar here. The increased power was nice, but I primarily wanted it for the transmission cleanup and more responsive e-throttle. Not to mention tire size recalibration.

I was about to buy a pedal commander for $300 then realized for $150 more I could get a BDX tuner ($450 from 5Star with Ranger5G.com discount) and a whole lot more in the box.

I always ran 93, so the extra 70HP / 90TQ was just icing on the cake. +2 MPG was not expected either.
Hey OFC, how does a tune clean up the transmission?

I am on the fence with the Ford Performance Tune. I don't need more power, but find (especially in D) the transmission (and/or with torque converter locked up) keeping the engine RPMs as low as possible causes engine/trans vibration that almost ruins a good driving experience. I see (feel really) this when my engine is under load and at like 1,000-1,500 RPM or so. The worst is when decelerating to a stop, especially quickly. The transmission seems to cycle down through gears quickly, each time the engine RPMs drop, then raise on the next downshift. I feel like the torque converter lock up is not disengaging on braking soon enough. I am not the only one complaining of this. My Ford dealer says nothing is wrong. Anyone out there with a tune experience something like this when stock?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hey OFC, how does a tune clean up the transmission?
Opinion varies on how to describe it but myself and others have often described it as "gear hunting" whereas given certain situations generally when entering a hill or large grade at cruising speed the truck often feels like it can't decide what is the best gear to be in. Sometimes it kind of bounces back and forth between two gears.

Most feel that the shift patterns in general just feel more optimal or natural I don't know trying to describe it exactly is going to vary from person to person.
Sponsored