Trucks w/o Tow Package?

DentonB

First Name
Denton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ram 4x4 Cummins), 2015 Audi A3 convertible
I plan to install a Reese 2" step bumper receiver hitch ($20 on Amazon). Rated for 350lb. tongue weight and 3500lb. towing capacity. I only need it to tow a small boat trailer and other accessories. With this you could use a drop hitch receiver bar. Where is the 4-pin connector located if you don't have the trailer tow package?
Have you verified that it would work? I didn’t see a location that seems like this would fit.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Just wearing out my mouse this morning looking at local inventory and I noticed a significant number of trucks on the lot w/o the tow package. I know this is obviously an option but I'm just curious why I'm seeing so many. Is this something the dealer is trying to add to the table during negotiations? Can the Ford receiver with 4/7 pin be added at the dealer or would it be slightly different? Just random musings as I do my best not to refresh the tracking site :computerrage:
I thought the Tow Package included an engine oil cooler and transmission cooler in addition to the hitch and wiring....

DrDom

First Name
Domenico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
According to my dealer, they can install the identical tow package at the dealership as you would get if it were factory ordered. It is frame mounted, and the wiring harness is already back there. My truck is still about 30 days out, so I'm not in a position to look at it. But I have spoken to a third party vendor who more or less says the same thing.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
According to my dealer, they can install the identical tow package at the dealership as you would get if it were factory ordered. It is frame mounted, and the wiring harness is already back there. My truck is still about 30 days out, so I'm not in a position to look at it. But I have spoken to a third party vendor who more or less says the same thing.
I understand they can install the hitch and wiring harness, but MOST Factory Tow Packages ordered ona vehicle when manufactured include at least a Transmission cooler (normally integrated in the radiator) and some include an Oil cooler for the engine oil. So the Hitch package and Tow Package would be two different things.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I understand they can install the hitch and wiring harness, but MOST Factory Tow Packages ordered ona vehicle when manufactured include at least a Transmission cooler (normally integrated in the radiator) and some include an Oil cooler for the engine oil. So the Hitch package and Tow Package would be two different things.
I believe they already come with engine oil cooler and trans cooler without the tow package. I'll have to check to verify though.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I thought the Tow Package included an engine oil cooler and transmission cooler in addition to the hitch and wiring....
Nope, the tow package on the ranger is ridiculously overpriced for what you get--basically just the hitch receiver and the sockets for the trailer connections. (Not that the dealer will be any cheaper.)

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Trailer Tow Package $495

The Trailer Tow Package provides the gear you need to pull up to 7,500 lbs.

Package includes:
• 4-pin/7-pin Wiring Harness
• Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver

Dealer is installing mine Friday.
A discounted $350 for the two parts above. Labor, I don't know yet.

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Nope, the tow package on the ranger is ridiculously overpriced for what you get--basically just the hitch receiver and the sockets for the trailer connections. (Not that the dealer will be any cheaper.)
The best I can tell, the tow package includes a classIV hitch ,RVplug and 4plug with associated wiring, including backup lights and trailer battery charge capability.
The brake controller is not supplied but the wiring for it is.
It certainly is competitive with aftermarket all told,
but if you buy aftermarket get "HIDDEN HITCH" or at least don't buy "CURT"

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The best I can tell, the tow package includes a classIV hitch ,RVplug and 4plug with associated wiring, including backup lights and trailer battery charge capability.
The brake controller is not supplied but the wiring for it is.
It certainly is competitive with aftermarket all told,
but if you buy aftermarket get "HIDDEN HITCH" or at least don't buy "CURT"
Right, but the wires seem to be there either way. Bolting on the hitch receiver and plugging in the actual sockets isn't a lot of labor--especially on the assembly line--so the $500 seems pretty darn steep for $150 of metal and a couple of bucks worth of plastic. Presumably they figured they could get away with it because so many other tow packages cost more (ignoring the fact that they include more). There are a few areas like that where I'm curious if Ford will adjust the pricing next year or just count the money.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Right, but the wires seem to be there either way. Bolting on the hitch receiver and plugging in the actual sockets isn't a lot of labor--especially on the assembly line--so the $500 seems pretty darn steep for $150 of metal and a couple of bucks worth of plastic. Presumably they figured they could get away with it because so many other tow packages cost more (ignoring the fact that they include more). There are a few areas like that where I'm curious if Ford will adjust the pricing next year or just count the money .
Ford will cost cut even more like they did not adding an engine cover to the XL and XLT.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
Right, but the wires seem to be there either way. Bolting on the hitch receiver and plugging in the actual sockets isn't a lot of labor--especially on the assembly line--so the $500 seems pretty darn steep for $150 of metal and a couple of bucks worth of plastic. Presumably they figured they could get away with it because so many other tow packages cost more (ignoring the fact that they include more). There are a few areas like that where I'm curious if Ford will adjust the pricing next year or just count the money.
The 36 gallon tank started out as a $150 option on the 2015 F-150. It's around $500 now. The options aren't going to get cheaper.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I think you get only a 4plug if you don't buy the tow package.
The RV plug, back-up light wiring, brake control wiring, and trailer battery charge wiring only come with the tow package.
Of course I don't know for sure, I doubt Ford knows for sure, and I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get close enough to my truck to find out.

Jason L

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Dealer is installing mine Friday.
A discounted $350 for the two parts above. Labor, I don't know yet.
How are they installing it, my deal and Ford parts both say the receiver is not yet available in stock? What dealer has it?

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone figured out if the Ranger comes with transmission and oil coolers?

Not including a hitch and wiring stock on a truck has always baffled me. Even if you don't tow and are more into the "sport" side of things hitches are incredibly useful for mounting racks and other items. Same with a spray-in bedliner, anyone know a reason why you would not want one?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How are they installing it, my deal and Ford parts both say the receiver is not yet available in stock? What dealer has it?
I'm bringing it in for a minor warranty issue Friday. I ordered the tow parts Monday. I was told they'll be in for my Friday appt. That's the last I heard.
Sponsored