First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
sounds magical. but if youre committing to this, i recommend you measure the diagonal but subtract the loss from the siderails / cap rails. remember the cap will overlap the side rail a lot on the inside. we lose a few inches in all dimensions. and you only see that loss exactly at the typical height where the bed will be- you woudlnt know this just from lying down on the bed floor becuase the rails dont ingress at that point.

admittedly i dont sleep full diagonal- just off, as my wife takes a little space along the side, but its close and im much shorter than you. id hate for you to invest a few weekends on this and then end up with a roof top tent!

either way, post up pictures so we can learn from your build. too many people have rangers for there not to be a good library of options. i cant say anything about my build is particularly groundbreaking, except the cut-out at the side where you get full height is really super helpful in terms of flexibility and function of the in-bed living space.

happy trails!
Fun fact... I’ve had a roam vagabond lite for sale! Had it for a year and a half and due to the sloped sides I also have to sleep diagonal in it ?. I promise you I fit, even in my friends 5ft Tacoma with a shell! I have more room in the ranger even due to the fact it has bed rails compared to the Tacoma’s plastic walls. I’ll be sure to post all of this up ?? I’m planning on installing a raptor liner myself and then removing the rubber floor mat in my bed then building the platform ????
Sponsored

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
OP
OP
adv_ranger

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I love your setup! Looks like a lot of planning went into this! I may adopt some form of slat system for the upper part of the sleeping platform so it can stow away when not in use ?? I’m thinking supports on the sides of the bed and one center support in the middle.
Thanks. The idea of the slat floor down on the bed floor and the gear in the foot locker up high is that we are able to sit up without hitting our heads on the topper. The slat floor also lets dust, debris, down feathers, etc. brush through down into the "bilge" until we get a chance to vaccum it out.

Jwhite921

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Oil field Surveyor
Hello everyone. Here soon Ill be heading out for about 45 days on the road for work and I was looking at doing something like this. Unfortunately I tend to over think things and second guess myself. At the moment I figure if I use a 2x6 width wise at the cleats front and back of the wheel well, a 2x6 in the middle from from front to back and with strategically cut and placed plywood I should be ok. However I keep second guessing it and ending back at square one. Anyone have any luck using 2x6s in this way?

OP
OP
adv_ranger

adv_ranger

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Medical Student
Hello everyone. Here soon Ill be heading out for about 45 days on the road for work and I was looking at doing something like this. Unfortunately I tend to over think things and second guess myself. At the moment I figure if I use a 2x6 width wise at the cleats front and back of the wheel well, a 2x6 in the middle from from front to back and with strategically cut and placed plywood I should be ok. However I keep second guessing it and ending back at square one. Anyone have any luck using 2x6s in this way?
I think I know what you’re getting at but if you could draw it out it would help all of us out a lot. I was considering just reusing factory tie down hook points. I was going to add 4x4 blocks in each of the four corners of the bed and use the factory bolts with a washer to bolt in the wood. Then lie a 2x6 or 2x8 down the center of the bed for support of the top 3/4 ply.

Jwhite921

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Oil field Surveyor
I think I know what you’re getting at but if you could draw it out it would help all of us out a lot. I was considering just reusing factory tie down hook points. I was going to add 4x4 blocks in each of the four corners of the bed and use the factory bolts with a washer to bolt in the wood. Then lie a 2x6 or 2x8 down the center of the bed for support of the top 3/4 ply.
This is the best I could come up with quickly. So I do apologize for the sloppiness. Also please forgive the lack of measurements as well. I had it measured out and wrote down but cant find my log book that I wrote it in but once I attempt this Ill include everything.

20210924_181148.jpg

20210924_181141.jpg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
This is the best I could come up with quickly. So I do apologize for the sloppiness. Also please forgive the lack of measurements as well. I had it measured out and wrote down but cant find my log book that I wrote it in but once I attempt this Ill include everything.

20210924_181148.jpg

20210924_181141.jpg
imo, a lot more difficult than my setup as posted.

Jwhite921

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Oil field Surveyor
imo, a lot more difficult than my setup as posted.
lol I know. The first draft was simple, 2x4 legs and frame that sat over the wheel wells, slates and build a platform. I began second guessing myself and it keeps changing. I even have a sketch of an metal frame.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Not a Ranger, but this is what I have in my Tacoma overland rig. It works pretty good for me. And it was only $100 on Craigslist.
20210924_141226.jpg
Someone sold that for $100? That’s a steal.. especially with lumber prices now.

FairFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 5G
Occupation
DIY enthusiast
Last edited:

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I love your setup! Which mattresses are more suitable here? And what about a full bedroom setup(pillows, sheets(I'd like a several from this review). Wood is too expensive nowadays btw...
Thanks. Sorry I didn't see this post until just now. We're using some camping inflatable sleeping pads and some sleeping bags. We keep summer-weight sleeping bags in there in the summer and change them out for our winter bags when it gets colder. The sleeping pads that we use have a great combination of insulation, comfort and proper dimensions for the space available. We also, each keep a pillow in our storage foot locker area. For sleeping pads we each use a regular size one of these: https://www.rei.com/product/153209/...onfirm&rrid=36451969&ev11=&redirect-pup=false
Sponsored