Trip Report: 1800 Miles With a Camper

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Yes it was a 3rd gen (2016). I wanted a 2nd gen but they had already stopped producing them and I couldn't find anything I liked local. It was so bad after that first trip we rented a car the next time we went up there as I couldn't stand driving it. Now I'm actually looking forward to making that trip with the Ranger and hitting some of the trails in Sedona.
Did your Tacoma break down? Was it overheating? Unfortunately it is designed to get power at higher rpm's, so it is going to rev in the mountains. Unless you had a mechanical issue, it is not going to hurt it. If it means anything, my 2017 Mustang GT would also downshift and rev in those mountains when I wanted to pass.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did your Tacoma break down? Was it overheating? Unfortunately it is designed to get power at higher rpm's, so it is going to rev in the mountains. Unless you had a mechanical issue, it is not going to hurt it. If it means anything, my 2017 Mustang GT would also downshift and rev in those mountains when I wanted to pass.
It never broke down or overheated it was just aggravating the way it was always searching for gears. Even going up the inclined onramps here it was gutless. Even normal driving I had a surge between 35-38 mph like the tranny didn't know which gear it wanted. You're right that it makes it's power around 3000+ rpms but for average street driving it was horrible! The Ranger is so much smoother and the power is more even so your not lagging low end then getting that mid range hit.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Like everyone says, nice write-up. I'm in the process of adapting our 4WC slide-in camper (~1000 lbs. dry weight) from our old Ranger to the new one. The extra power will be greatly appreciated. The old truck ('93 4.0L V6) has lasted forever, but there are many grades, even on some interstates, where I can barely hold 55 with two of us in the cab and the camper loaded for a trip. I've built a platform for it, and am now waiting for air bags I have on order to arrive.

Booner13

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 crew cab sport
Occupation
Receiving
This has been a big help, get so many different answers from people on how much or how big an RV my Ranger can tow...been very confusing.

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Nice looking combination. What WD hitch and sway control are you using ?

OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking combination. What WD hitch and sway control are you using ?
No WD hitch. The sway control might be a Reese, it's just the standard friction bar type.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Just got home last night from our trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We took a borrowed camper: my grandpa's Coleman 1705RB. I won't get into many camper details unless someone wants to, but basically it's a 22' single axle with an advertised dry weight of around 3500 lbs.

IMG_0668.JPG

Let me get something out of the way before diving in. Colorados and Tacos outnumber Rangers 10:20:1 out here, if not more. They were everywhere. We can nitpick and make excuses for sales numbers all day long, but it's going to take a loooong time to catch up in the real-world mind share space. I think I only saw 4 or 5 '19 Rangers on the entire trip. And Ford has only themselves to blame for abandoning and conceding this market for so long.

Anyway, I cruised anywhere from 62-68 mph depending on wind conditions. The truck really doesn't give a flip about the weight, but wind on a (relatively) big ol camper pushes the truck around quite a bit, even with sway bars set tight. The farther east we went, the more hills we saw. This truck eats mountains for breakfast. It had no problem holding 65 mph on a 5° hill (as indicated by the offroad instrument cluster screen). The 2.3L EB has so much pulling power it's crazy. Anyone who thinks they need the 2.7L EB outside of being a hooligan is kidding themselves.

And the 10-speed...wow. There's always a gear right where you want it. I drove mostly with 9/10 locked out, and I helped it out by anticipating most hills by locking out 8. I found that if you let it lug itself, it waits too long to shift, then you end up in 6. But by forcing it into 7 at the bottom of the hill, it would usually pull right through.

IMG_0659.JPG

We had some business to take care of in Knoxville, so we went there first. Then, our campground was near Bryson City, NC, and the route took us over the Tail of the Dragon or Hwy 129. If you're not familiar with that road, it's a super twisty road that is popular with motorcycles. Very tight turns that had the truck in 2nd-5th gears for several miles. Oddly, this stretch returned the best mileage on a tank at 13 MPG. Also, check out the cool action shots I was able to get:

2678998small.jpg

2678997small.jpg

We drove 180 miles just inside the park one day, without the camper. What beautiful views...if you haven't been, plan on it.

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

I'm very happy with the performance of the truck and its ability to confidently handle the load. Not once could I not keep up with traffic because it was short on power, nor did I ever have any handling problems other than wind gusts. I use the Redarc brake controller, and it's fantastic too, but that's for another thread. I wish the Ranger had some niceties that its bigger brothers do, like integrated brakes, or trailer mileage logging. The fuel tank is way too small, and I still hate that steering wheel. But it's got it where it counts: power, handling, comfortable seats...

...I'd do it again, but give me a few days to recover. I don't care how comfortable the seats are, after 11 hrs you're ready to be out. Lol

tl;dr stats
Miles driven.........1800
Cruising speed....62-68
Worst mileage.....9.5
Best mileage.......13
2.3L EB................Awesome
10R80..................Amazing
Validated your writing and pictures!! We already put 4K on this trailer during the COVID shit era. Yet it deliver an awesome job!
SaberCamping.jpeg

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
tail of the Dragon is on my bucket list with my Yamaha FZ6. Come spring I will be taking my Tent trailer on the first trip with my Ranger. I can't wait.
Sponsored