Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just got home last night from our trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We took a borrowed camper: my grandpa's Coleman 1705RB. I won't get into many camper details unless someone wants to, but basically it's a 22' single axle with an advertised dry weight of around 3500 lbs.

IMG_0668.JPG

Let me get something out of the way before diving in. Colorados and Tacos outnumber Rangers 10:20:1 out here, if not more. They were everywhere. We can nitpick and make excuses for sales numbers all day long, but it's going to take a loooong time to catch up in the real-world mind share space. I think I only saw 4 or 5 '19 Rangers on the entire trip. And Ford has only themselves to blame for abandoning and conceding this market for so long.

Anyway, I cruised anywhere from 62-68 mph depending on wind conditions. The truck really doesn't give a flip about the weight, but wind on a (relatively) big ol camper pushes the truck around quite a bit, even with sway bars set tight. The farther east we went, the more hills we saw. This truck eats mountains for breakfast. It had no problem holding 65 mph on a 5° hill (as indicated by the offroad instrument cluster screen). The 2.3L EB has so much pulling power it's crazy. Anyone who thinks they need the 2.7L EB outside of being a hooligan is kidding themselves.

And the 10-speed...wow. There's always a gear right where you want it. I drove mostly with 9/10 locked out, and I helped it out by anticipating most hills by locking out 8. I found that if you let it lug itself, it waits too long to shift, then you end up in 6. But by forcing it into 7 at the bottom of the hill, it would usually pull right through.

IMG_0659.JPG

We had some business to take care of in Knoxville, so we went there first. Then, our campground was near Bryson City, NC, and the route took us over the Tail of the Dragon or Hwy 129. If you're not familiar with that road, it's a super twisty road that is popular with motorcycles. Very tight turns that had the truck in 2nd-5th gears for several miles. Oddly, this stretch returned the best mileage on a tank at 13 MPG. Also, check out the cool action shots I was able to get:

2678998small.jpg

2678997small.jpg

We drove 180 miles just inside the park one day, without the camper. What beautiful views...if you haven't been, plan on it.

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

I'm very happy with the performance of the truck and its ability to confidently handle the load. Not once could I not keep up with traffic because it was short on power, nor did I ever have any handling problems other than wind gusts. I use the Redarc brake controller, and it's fantastic too, but that's for another thread. I wish the Ranger had some niceties that its bigger brothers do, like integrated brakes, or trailer mileage logging. The fuel tank is way too small, and I still hate that steering wheel. But it's got it where it counts: power, handling, comfortable seats...

...I'd do it again, but give me a few days to recover. I don't care how comfortable the seats are, after 11 hrs you're ready to be out. Lol

tl;dr stats
Miles driven.........1800
Cruising speed....62-68
Worst mileage.....9.5
Best mileage.......13
2.3L EB................Awesome
10R80..................Amazing
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Great review of the Ranger and your trip. It's nice to see how well the 2.3 EB did going through he mountains while towing your camper. Funny how so many will discredit the 2.3 EB with no real world stats. I use to hate going up north here to Flagstaff with my Tacoma as it was always changing gears and revving so high going through the mountains. Now I can't wait to take my Ranger up there!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Great write-up and setup. Beautiful pictures. I love the Smokey Mountains. We hope to get a travel trailer approx. that size or a little smaller soon. Good to read others experiences with the Ranger & hauling/pulling.

OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up, love the action shots. Looks to be a 17’ trailer to me, my 23’ looks massive for the ranger lol
I think you’re right, specs say 22 but that’s probably with tongue. Prob 17’ body length.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Good read with lots of info. Always good to keep hearing that nearly everyone is happy with their Ranger. I'm confident Ranger sales will catch up!

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
Nice review I am really glad you posted it. I have a Jayco 145rb but after I get my new Ranger I want to get a travel trailer right about this size. I felt that a 17-19 camper would be the sweet spot for the Ranger your review kind of confirmed it. How was down hill holding or did you need to use your brakes a lot. beautiful pics, love the action pics Ford need to use them in their ads

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Great review of the Ranger and your trip. It's nice to see how well the 2.3 EB did going through he mountains while towing your camper. Funny how so many will discredit the 2.3 EB with no real world stats. I use to hate going up north here to Flagstaff with my Tacoma as it was always changing gears and revving so high going through the mountains. Now I can't wait to take my Ranger up there!
Yup, they assume the 2.3 will behave like a smaller version of the POS in the Tacoma.

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
Just got home last night from our trip to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We took a borrowed camper: my grandpa's Coleman 1705RB. I won't get into many camper details unless someone wants to, but basically it's a 22' single axle with an advertised dry weight of around 3500 lbs.

IMG_0668.JPG

Let me get something out of the way before diving in. Colorados and Tacos outnumber Rangers 10:20:1 out here, if not more. They were everywhere. We can nitpick and make excuses for sales numbers all day long, but it's going to take a loooong time to catch up in the real-world mind share space. I think I only saw 4 or 5 '19 Rangers on the entire trip. And Ford has only themselves to blame for abandoning and conceding this market for so long.

Anyway, I cruised anywhere from 62-68 mph depending on wind conditions. The truck really doesn't give a flip about the weight, but wind on a (relatively) big ol camper pushes the truck around quite a bit, even with sway bars set tight. The farther east we went, the more hills we saw. This truck eats mountains for breakfast. It had no problem holding 65 mph on a 5° hill (as indicated by the offroad instrument cluster screen). The 2.3L EB has so much pulling power it's crazy. Anyone who thinks they need the 2.7L EB outside of being a hooligan is kidding themselves.

And the 10-speed...wow. There's always a gear right where you want it. I drove mostly with 9/10 locked out, and I helped it out by anticipating most hills by locking out 8. I found that if you let it lug itself, it waits too long to shift, then you end up in 6. But by forcing it into 7 at the bottom of the hill, it would usually pull right through.

IMG_0659.JPG

We had some business to take care of in Knoxville, so we went there first. Then, our campground was near Bryson City, NC, and the route took us over the Tail of the Dragon or Hwy 129. If you're not familiar with that road, it's a super twisty road that is popular with motorcycles. Very tight turns that had the truck in 2nd-5th gears for several miles. Oddly, this stretch returned the best mileage on a tank at 13 MPG. Also, check out the cool action shots I was able to get:

Great real world feedback for the 2019 Ranger & towing...I did not want to tow even my father-in-law's 1,700lb boat with the TACO. It had such a hard time on mountain hills in Maine as it were. Love the "action-shots"!
2678998small.jpg

2678997small.jpg

We drove 180 miles just inside the park one day, without the camper. What beautiful views...if you haven't been, plan on it.

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

I'm very happy with the performance of the truck and its ability to confidently handle the load. Not once could I not keep up with traffic because it was short on power, nor did I ever have any handling problems other than wind gusts. I use the Redarc brake controller, and it's fantastic too, but that's for another thread. I wish the Ranger had some niceties that its bigger brothers do, like integrated brakes, or trailer mileage logging. The fuel tank is way too small, and I still hate that steering wheel. But it's got it where it counts: power, handling, comfortable seats...

...I'd do it again, but give me a few days to recover. I don't care how comfortable the seats are, after 11 hrs you're ready to be out. Lol

tl;dr stats
Miles driven.........1800
Cruising speed....62-68
Worst mileage.....9.5
Best mileage.......13
2.3L EB................Awesome
10R80..................Amazing

Great real world feedback for the 2019 Ranger & towing...I did not want to tow even my father-in-law's 1,700lb boat with the TACO. It had such a hard time on mountain hills in Maine as it were. Love the "action-shots"!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmeyer302

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice review I am really glad you posted it. I have a Jayco 145rb but after I get my new Ranger I want to get a travel trailer right about this size. I felt that a 17-19 camper would be the sweet spot for the Ranger your review kind of confirmed it. How was down hill holding or did you need to use your brakes a lot. beautiful pics, love the action pics Ford need to use them in their ads
Downhill behavior is great. The transmission does a really good job of downshifting to keep you at a certain speed, but as a note it has to be in Tow/Haul mode for this to work. Otherwise it just coasts. There were some hills that I couldn't believe how little I was using the brakes. Part of that could have been the gigantic air brake I was pulling behind :crazy:

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
You must have had a 3rd gen Tacoma with the 3.5L. I have driven from Phoenix to Flagstaff many times with a 2nd gen Tacoma with the 4.0L v6 towing close to 4000 lbs. The Tacoma had no problems pulling the 6% grades north of Black Canyon City and north of Camp Verde.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You must have had a 3rd gen Tacoma with the 3.5L. I have driven from Phoenix to Flagstaff many times with a 2nd gen Tacoma with the 4.0L v6 towing close to 4000 lbs. The Tacoma had no problems pulling the 6% grades north of Black Canyon City and north of Camp Verde.
Yes it was a 3rd gen (2016). I wanted a 2nd gen but they had already stopped producing them and I couldn't find anything I liked local. It was so bad after that first trip we rented a car the next time we went up there as I couldn't stand driving it. Now I'm actually looking forward to making that trip with the Ranger and hitting some of the trails in Sedona.

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
Very nice write up, thanks for taking the time and that also helps confirm I need to trade my Taco.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Very nice write up, thanks for taking the time and that also helps confirm I need to trade my Taco.
Act before the resale value fall enough to trigger a panic

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who thinks they need the 2.7L EB outside of being a hooligan is kidding themselves.
But being a hooligan is a lotta fun :devil:
Great review of the Rangers capabilities, I’ve had some heavy loads in the bed but haven’t had an opportunity to hitch anything to it yet. But seeing all the reviews here just keeps reaffirming my decision to buy the new Ranger
Sponsored